36 minutes ago, Greggs said:

Help is needed. No doubt. If the football leagues carry on. And finish on time and we dont start till Jan it's pointless anyway because noone would be able to get promoted as the efl season will start again before ours finishes so its effectively a season of friendlies at that point. 

Can see the whole season being scrapped and player contracts deferred for next season and effectively being told to fend for themselves for a year. What alternative is there? 

Answers are needed today by the government not in field course. Absolute clowns 

Would be illegal, can’t just summarily sack the players. 

Could go into redundancy proceedings potentially but that is a bleak can of worms

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

All Swedish models appeal to me

It’s a load of crap and if people don’t believe it’s real, got yourselves scrubbed up and on the ICU at Calderdale Royal, then tell us it isn’t real.

It's not even a party political issue for me. It's about Johnson and those he chose to surround himself with (and the reasons they're there). I can disagree ideologically with Conservatives but am gro

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Wilder Bollox said:

We aren't the responsibility of the Premier League, any funding / support has to come from Central Government

The issue with that is tax payers again subsidising footballers whilst the EPL has TV deals of billions of pounds!

It's one thing to pay for furlough for staff on 20k a year it's another to support L1 &L2 and even NL players quite a few of whom will be pulling well in excess of £100/150k! It doesn't sit well.

Of course the counter argument is the additional arts council funding ?

Not sure personally, I  think it could be more of things along the lines of VAT, HMRC holidays ? 

• Like 1

Streaming is a good idea, and let’s face it, it looks like the only option currently.

To my mind, season ticket holders would get free access, and everyone else pays say £10 to watch the game. The amount may be low enough to get more casual fans watching more regularly to offset the lower amount than the £20 admission price on the gate. It would also Potentially mean more away fans paying to watch the game than those that would have travelled (as the majority of the league are southern this would be a plus). Expenses would also be reduced as we would not need to pay all the matchday costs of stewards, police etc. 

if we get to the end of the season and the ST holders didn’t get to go to any of the games they could then claim £70 back - £300 - (23 games x £10) if they wished. 

• Like 1

Most people have access to a computer with internet so I think live streaming matches could work. Id definitely sign up for £10. The club would still have commercial opportunities for bringing in additional revenue - advertisements, sponsors messages, fan shout outs, etc during half time, breaks in play, etc.

• Like 1

Why don't the government try something "drastic" to break the virus.

Time it with the school holidays in October and put EVERYONE in the country into lockdown. All shops, all entertainment, all towns and cities with everything shut down. You have a few weeks now to buy goods to last you for that 2/3 week period. Advance or give every person £250 to buy food for that period if needs be.

The only people allowed out would be medical and police. Put the Army on the streets and anyone outside is arrested. Keep that going for 2/3 weeks. If you are outside in that period of time and it is not for a medical emergency then simply you get arrested and put in prison for the rest of the curfew. 

It will be an awful for those few weeks, no doubt, however it may then give us a chance to actually get on with our lives afterwards. 

A second long term lockdown for businesses (which looks more and more likely each day) and the end of furlough will pretty much put most small businesses to the wall. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Flea said:

Time it with the school holidays in October and put EVERYONE in the country into lockdown. All shops, all entertainment, all towns and cities with everything shut down. You have a few weeks now to buy goods to last you for that 2/3 week period. Advance or give every person £250 to buy food for that period if needs be.

The only people allowed out would be medical and police. Put the Army on the streets and anyone outside is arrested. Keep that going for 2/3 weeks. If you are outside in that period of time and it is not for a medical emergency then simply you get arrested and put in prison for the rest of the curfew. 

It will be an awful for those few weeks, no doubt, however it may then give us a chance to actually get on with our lives afterwards. 

A second long term lockdown for businesses (which looks more and more likely each day) and the end of furlough will pretty much put most small businesses to the wall. 

Thats a great idea in principle,  but that was what Spain did initially and it still didn't surpress the virus!

Everyone still has to wear masks at all times, but they are now in the same boat as us, with cases increasing and local lockdowns being put in place!

Its a total nightmare and I dont think anyone knows the answers!

4 minutes ago, chrisbo61 said:

Its a total nightmare and I dont think anyone knows the answers!

Be strict, the government will get slaughtered. Go for herd immunity and the government will get slaughtered.

There is no answer; no right or wrong. You can take examples of how other countries have tackled the pandemic but each country is unique in a way with regards demographics, etc.

Possibly the only answer is to find a safe vaccine asap.

• Like 2

Spain has the highest daily infection rate in Europe. 14.5k daily cases as at last Friday.
Given the lack of a coherent strategy in the UK, I think we'll be stuck with fairly onerous restrictions well into next year.
It's been a crazy old time for the kids. The eldest, who is the big Town fan in the house, was happy to be starting high school and really looking forward to getting back to The Shay. With 'bubbles' and whole years closing and now this, it's been a hell of a lot for them to deal with. All of which makes me even more angry at the incompetent fool we have for a PM.....

Just now, Bubba said:

Be strict, the government will get slaughtered. Go for herd immunity and the government will get slaughtered.

There is no answer; no right or wrong. You can take examples of how other countries have tackled the pandemic but each country is unique in a way with regards demographics, etc.

Possibly the only answer is to find a safe vaccine asap.

Yep. And yet we have increasing numbers of people flocking to social media to tell us they're not being 'muzzled' with masks or, most worryingly, 'infected' by 'Bill Gates and his paedo' mates. I despair.....

• Like 2
Just now, 154 Hopper Avenue said:

All of which makes me even more angry at the incompetent fool we have for a PM.....

To an extent I agree. However, I dont see how much different it would have been whoever was PM. Follow the science, dont follow the science. Lock down early, dont lock down early. Get kids back to school, dont get kids back to school.

Whichever turn the government had made, there would have been good and bad consequences and it really is a position in which there is no winner.

You mention Spains 14.5k daily infection rate from last Friday. The highest we had at the height of the 1st wave was half that. OK, we may surpass that with the 2nd wave. But it just shows how much of a difficult beast it is to tackle.

23 minutes ago, Flea said:

I like this idea. 

4 minutes ago, Bubba said:

To an extent I agree. However, I dont see how much different it would have been whoever was PM. Follow the science, dont follow the science. Lock down early, dont lock down early. Get kids back to school, dont get kids back to school.

Whichever turn the government had made, there would have been good and bad consequences and it really is a position in which there is no winner.

You mention Spains 14.5k daily infection rate from last Friday. The highest we had at the height of the 1st wave was half that. OK, we may surpass that with the 2nd wave. But it just shows how much of a difficult beast it is to tackle.

I didn't and don't expect perfection. But a large part of dealing with any genuine 'crisis' is to have clarity of message and leadership. And to be honest. I'm loathed to go over old and very well-trodden ground but all that shaking hands stuff, all the 'inalienable right to have a pint in a pub' rhetoric was bluster designed to cover a man who is out of his depth. 
Constantly extolling people to 'get behind NHS Test and Trace' is cover for the fact he knows it's not working. A large part of that is who he chose to give the testing to. 
No government will have an unblemished report card, but we've made mistake after mistake, have shifted even when the science didn't and have failed to get a grip. 
Rant over.....

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Flea said:

It would only work if you cancelled all travel into the UK until a vaccine had been found. Unfortunately as we rely on goods coming into the UK its a no from me, and I'm out.

6 minutes ago, 154 Hopper Avenue said:

I didn't and don't expect perfection. But a large part of dealing with any genuine 'crisis' is to have clarity of message and leadership. And to be honest. I'm loathed to go over old and very well-trodden ground but all that shaking hands stuff, all the 'inalienable right to have a pint in a pub' rhetoric was bluster designed to cover a man who is out of his depth. 
Constantly extolling people to 'get behind NHS Test and Trace' is cover for the fact he knows it's not working. A large part of that is who he chose to give the testing to. 
No government will have an unblemished report card, but we've made mistake after mistake, have shifted even when the science didn't and have failed to get a grip. 
Rant over.....

Interesting that they stress the NHS test and trace! Its NOT the NHS its the private company SERCO!

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Bubba said:

Splitting hairs there. 

I have a pal who worked for decades in NHS laboratories. Has a number of friends who still do. When Serco were struggling to cope and outsourcing, NHS laboratories had capacity but were not used.
The use of Serco and others was a deliberate, ideological choice. As is the use of the term 'NHS' when describing it.
The private sector have, as with so many areas of public service provision, been found wanting. The person at the head of it was not fit for the job. 

Again, I don't suggest a system contained entirely within the public sector would have seen a flawless performance, but Johnson will have to live with the decisions he took.

• Like 4

6 months is a huge amount of time. There are only 2 options now. Cancel the season all together or start it with live streaming. 

Locking the country down is a good idea as flea stated but there are no guarentees it wouldn't flair up again. 

A decision needs to be made now and I think that announcement has pretty much made the leagues mind up for them and its member clubs to just start and ask the government to at least cover some of the loss. 

3 hours ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

Cheapest way I can see is play behind closed doors with live streaming say 6 pound a game and the loss subsidised by Prem or Gov or combination of both. 

Needs to be at least £10 per game which is what is being charged for live screening of Carabao cup matches

10 minutes ago, Greggs said:

6 months is a huge amount of time. There are only 2 options now. Cancel the season all together or start it with live streaming. 

Locking the country down is a good idea as flea stated but there are no guarentees it wouldn't flair up again. 

A decision needs to be made now and I think that announcement has pretty much made the leagues mind up for them and its member clubs to just start and ask the government to at least cover some of the loss. 

IF the national league, plus North and South, don't play, then the Step 3/4 leagues may as well get cancelled too as clubs will be playing with no chance of promotion.

Whatever your political leanings are you cannot lay all of this at Boris's door.  He's the figurehead, the spokesman.  Whoever had been the PM and whichever political party they represented they would have made many of the same decisions because they would have been advised by the same group of "experts".

No form of lockdown will work as long as hundreds of planes and boats a day are bringing in people from all over the world.  Close the doors for a few weeks at least

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, bazza45 said:

Whatever your political leanings are you cannot lay all of this at Boris's door.  He's the figurehead, the spokesman.  Whoever had been the PM and whichever political party they represented they would have made many of the same decisions because they would have been advised by the same group of "experts".

Agreed.

With that said, our government have been nothing short of shambolic throughout the entire crisis. 

So many rules that are unclear. They change from day to day, don't apply until certain times (like the virus goes on holiday and won't attack until a certain point!), are inconsistent and generally seem to lack any faith or trust. 

The other issue is that there are still way too many idiots that just think they can carry on as normal. 

1 minute ago, bazza45 said:

No form of lockdown will work as long as hundreds of planes and boats a day are bringing in people from all over the world.  Close the doors for a few weeks at least

I'm no big fan of him or conservative policies and yeah you're right that whoever is in charge would get dogs abuse and couldn't win. I also acknowledge this is a bloody mental time to be living in and nothing has been like this in any of our lifetimes and so ill give hom some slack there, but he doesn't do himself many favours by going on holiday every few weeks, hiding away and not attending 4 or 5 emergency COBRA meetings. Allegedly moaning he can't afford a nanny whilst on  £150,000 a year because he can't keep his dick in his trousers (god only knows how he manages to father so many kids for such an ugly sod) 

He needs to resign and let one of his other mates take charge because he's on the drink too and not fit for purpose. I'd even have Priti Patel take up the reinew just to get rid of him. She'd do a lot more.