Great servant no doubt and very rare to get players who really 'get' the club they are playing for and bond with it and the fans has Brown did.

That said as mentioned above we were being forced to defend deeper and deeper due to being exposed by both Brown and Clarke's lack of pace and that needed to change. And on Wild's reasons he gave for Browny being placed on the transfer list was surely just being diplomatic, what did you expect him to say that Browny wanted more money (perhaps understandably for more days of work)?

• Like 2
  • Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It comes a time to leave this brilliant club. The memories are too much to mention. The penalty shootouts, the promotion, the playoffs but best of all lifting the FA trophy at Wembley in front of so m

I think some people have “ short “ memories , when PW arrived at the Shay as I recall one of his early decisions was to give MB an extended contract. We do not and probably will never know what t

Cannot understand all the drama about Brown leaving In the cold light of day he wanted more money for an extra day,s work (not an unreasonable request) The management made a financial decision th

Posted Images

The revisionism that Brown wasn’t that good anyway is out :D 

IMO he was a good, not great, National League defender and an excellent servant to the club who will be missed.

I do find it interesting though that whilst he’s rightly given credit for sticking around when we got relegated. He’s not given any stick for him and Bencherif turning up like Mr Blobby at the start of the season being one of the reasons behind us going down..!

37 minutes ago, rdj said:

Brown sold just in time before latest Covid impact on football clubs !

The only ‘positive’ out of that situation. I wonder if we’ve pulled out of the deal for the incoming centre back for the same reason. All gone very quiet on that front 

49 minutes ago, rdj said:

Brown sold just in time before latest Covid impact on football clubs !

Did we get a "fee" for him going to York or was it one of the standard "free transfers"?

With the rug being pulled out from under NL elite teams, then York, who have signed quite a few big wage players, 3 from us as an example, may now struggle to meet their financial obligations if all of the players expect to still get paid while there is no money coming in.

Only bright side for us is we have offloaded one of the biggest contracts, which should create some room for incoming replacements, should we get back to the new season.

To some extent the PW approach of taking young players, presumably on lower value contracts, could be very astute.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Bubba said:

I dont think anyone disputes most of what you say. It is the fact that Brown's statement contradicts the message that has come out from the club since he was transfer listed.

Agreed, it’s quite clear that Wild has lied regarding the training situation. It leaves a sour taste on a player who has contributed a lot to the club

17 minutes ago, Bubba said:

I dont think anyone disputes most of what you say. It is the fact that Brown's statement contradicts the message that has come out from the club since he was transfer listed.

Does it though... if he wasn’t willing to train unless he was compensated accordingly then technically the Club has a point as well. And as someone said previously, the club wasn’t going to point out that the favourite player at the club was asking for more money. Think Browny genuinely, as he said in his message wanted to stay at the club for years to come. But Pete Wild obviously wanted 100% buy in to his philosophy, and within his budget he wasn’t prepared to pay more and wasn’t happy for The club captain not to commit to the training regime.

• Like 2

Firstly good luck to Brown hope he has a great season at York.

It is all speculation and probably several "small reasons" that all add to something bigger. For example on the footballing side Brown was often played on the left hand side of a back three and with binnon-williams at left back we were exposed on that flank. That formation did not suite Brown. He may well be central in a back four for York which would suite him better. He may be on more money - who knows, he may have fallen out with Wild - who knows. What we do know is that he has gone and we have to move forward.

Again all the best Mr. Brown.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, AJS said:

Agreed, it’s quite clear that Wild has lied regarding the training situation. It leaves a sour taste on a player who has contributed a lot to the club

AJS It is absolutely NOT clear that Wild lied.

Wild said “Unfortunately due to these essential changes, some players are unable to commit fully to the new 20/21 training schedule."

This  could be because Brown was unwilling to accept it without extra pay.

As Shaamen posted above, perhaps Wild was being diplomatic rather than making out Brown was being mercenary.

5 minutes ago, mj85 said:

Was a big fan of Brown getting in that he was 'prepared to go the extra mile' 

Maybe that bit is in there because Brown WAS prepared to go the extra mile but was in fact told not to turn up? 

4 minutes ago, rdj said:

AJS It is absolutely NOT clear that Wild lied.

Wild said “Unfortunately due to these essential changes, some players are unable to commit fully to the new 20/21 training schedule."

This  could be because Brown was unwilling to accept it without extra pay.

As Shaamen posted above, perhaps Wild was being diplomatic rather than making out Brown was being mercenary.

If that’s the case though, do you blame Brown for asking for a pay rise? 

I appreciate it’s hard times for clubs like us at the moment but players don’t want to be out of pocket either. 

I’d rather Wild just say we couldn’t afford his wage demands as opposed to him saying he couldn’t commit to an extra days training. 

We will probably never find out the full details unfortunately and it’s such a sad way for a club favourite to leave. Don’t think either side have handled it well personally 

12 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

A footballer is paid by salary, not by the hour.

Tough one I suppose - I fully agree with you but then I can also see someone saying "you were asking me to come in for 10 hours a week before, now you want me to come in for 14, I want to be paid more". I would politely disagree with them in this context, but I can see them asking.

2 hours ago, AJS said:

If that’s the case though, do you blame Brown for asking for a pay rise? 

I appreciate it’s hard times for clubs like us at the moment but players don’t want to be out of pocket either. 

I’d rather Wild just say we couldn’t afford his wage demands as opposed to him saying he couldn’t commit to an extra days training. 

We will probably never find out the full details unfortunately and it’s such a sad way for a club favourite to leave. Don’t think either side have handled it well personally 

No, but I take issue with your comment that our manager LIED.

There was nothing wrong with Brown  asking for extra cash but on the basis that other players had accepted the new training regime without getting extra pay, then I think PW acted in a reasonable way.

8 hours ago, Bill Atkins said:

Cannot understand all the drama about Brown leaving

In the cold light of day he wanted more money for an extra day,s work (not an unreasonable request) The management made a financial decision that a 30 year old centre back with recent injury problems and gradually losing pace was not a good investment 

Browny quite rightly considered his options found a club willing to pay his financial demands regardless of location and moved on.

In view of the latest virus News re crowds Town appears to have come out  of the affair financially on top

Fans quite rightly appreciate his time at the club but sometimes forget that the club is a commercial and financial operation which sometimes has to take decisions which will not pacify all the fan base 

Did Brown want more money? If that's the case why didn't Wild say that instead of saying he couldn't or wouldn't train an extra day. The truth is not out. 

One of the first acts PW did as manager was to extend Brown's contract.

This would have been along the lines of 'paId x amount per week, with the expectation that the player "works" x days, or a minimum amount of hours in the week. 

If those hours then increase, or an extra day is added on, the player is doing more than what he agreed to on the contract. 

I don't know the ins and outs of Brown's contract, however 12 months ago it was PW that put it on the table for him. If there is now a problem with it, is that the players problem/fault or the person that gave him that contract?

Edited by Flea

Loved matty brown and would have loved him to still be at the club and in our starting defence. Yes not the fastest but hes a step ahead of clarke who for me was done last season never mind this season. Aslong as we sign a better defender than brown then ill be happy but at the moment our 2 best defenders from last season have left, brown and ducky.

1 minute ago, halifaxmark said:

Loved matty brown and would have loved him to still be at the club and in our starting defence. Yes not the fastest but hes a step ahead of clarke who for me was done last season never mind this season. Aslong as we sign a better defender than brown then ill be happy but at the moment our 2 best defenders from last season have left, brown and ducky.

Brown missed a lot of games last season

44 minutes ago, Flea said:

One of the first acts PW did as manager was to extend Brown's contract.

This would have been along the lines of 'paId x amount per week, with the expectation that the player "works" x days, or a minimum amount of hours in the week. 

If those hours then increase, or an extra day is added on, the player is doing more than what he agreed to on the contract. 

I don't know the ins and outs of Brown's contract, however 12 months ago it was PW that put it on the table for him. If there is now a problem with it, is that the players problem/fault or the person that gave him that contract?

Believe Matty Brown¨s contract was all agreed  before PW arrived believe it¨s one of the reasons JF left.