Conditioning coach Adam Simpson

Kit man   Alan Jackson.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Aye, and we should encourage half the team to be alcoholics and the rest to have pie and chips 30 mins before kickoff on a match day. You know, how it used to be back in the day.

Quite right - if we are trying to be more professional, then increasing the backroom staff goes hand in hand with that. If we want to run ourselves as a Sunday League team then let's not bother with a

I presume that your tongue was pressed firmly against your check as you typed it? 

Posted Images

34 minutes ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

New first team coach Joe Sargison

New Goal keeper coach Paul Oakes

Backroom team as follows.

Manager  Pete Wild

Ass.           Chris Millington

GK coach  Paul Oakes

Head Physio Aaron Scholes

Conditioning coach Adam Simpson

Kit man   Alan Jackson.

Goalkeeping Coach!! Is this a full time position or someone who spends a few hours a week, hour a day or whatever?? In either case, he needs to work with Sam on distribution and speed of distribution which are both very poor. Sams shot stopping is pretty good, gets down well for a big lad, just his distribution for me. Also then, if we have a goalkeeping coach, why can he not spend some time with some of the other players and coach them in basic keeping, just enough to see out a game with an element of confidence if Sam got injured during a game. This would save a wage in not needing a bench warmer??

19 minutes ago, TommyH72 said:

Goalkeeping Coach!! Is this a full time position or someone who spends a few hours a week, hour a day or whatever?? In either case, he needs to work with Sam on distribution and speed of distribution which are both very poor. Sams shot stopping is pretty good, gets down well for a big lad, just his distribution for me. Also then, if we have a goalkeeping coach, why can he not spend some time with some of the other players and coach them in basic keeping, just enough to see out a game with an element of confidence if Sam got injured during a game. This would save a wage in not needing a bench warmer??

Tommy, what have you got against goal keepers? Werent you picked when you were at school!lol

46 minutes ago, chrisbo61 said:

Tommy, what have you got against goal keepers? Werent you picked when you were at school!lol

Far from it Chrisbo61, I was an outstanding left winger, based on Phil McCarthy (bobbing head, 20 No6 at full time), but I also played many many games as a goalkeeper, so on the occasions our keeper got injured or just didnt turn up!!! I went inbetween the sticks. So it seems to me that there will be a couple of lads in most squads that will have played as a keeper at some time and my thoughts are, let the keeping coach work with them and at least if owt happens to Sam, we have someone there with confidence to see a game out. Why waste money on a bench warmer when there are options???? We expect players to double up in most positions then why not the goalkeeper position. By the same token, lets say if Sam injured his hand, dont take him off, put him up front as a CF and juggle the outfielders if the needs require??  These are expensive times and squads should be fully utilised.

• Thanks 1
21 minutes ago, rdj said:

A goalkeeping coach who could still play, if needed, would be one solution.

That would be ideal.

Whilst an outfield player may be able to cover for part of a game, I wouldn’t be keen on one having to play a full 90 minutes in goal in a competitive game. If Sam was ill one Matchday morning or had an accident etc, it wouldn’t be enough time to register a keeper so that they could play that game. 

Would it be worth having a look at the Under 19’s keeper, and he could potentially be Sam’s short term cover, and we could draft in a loan if one was needed for a longer period of time. 

Please can the goalkeeping coach coach the goalkeepers and the outfield coaches coach the outfield players?

There have been some crackers suggestions on here over the years but suggesting the goalie coach spends his time coaching the whole team “just in case” is right up there with the most crackerific.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Redcard said:

Looking good, but can someone inform me who does what job on the training field when we have PW, CM and a first team coach in attendance.

One is needed for  throw ins practice,one for set pieces and the the other for defending and attacking.

1 hour ago, chadders said:

We have had one since Aspin was around.

Yes I know, I was really just inquiring as to the weekly / daily input, is it a full time position. I think RDJ's idea of a goalkeeping coach who would be signed to play if necessary.

19 minutes ago, Wilder Bollox said:

This guy has some sort of goalkeeping academy at Oldham so it would be logical for our goalkeepers to attend some training sessions there and him to possibly once a week help out at Leeds and maybe sometimes on match days

Suspect he will only be employed 10-15hrs a week by the club. Can’t imagine running a goalkeeping academy that he will that busy during the daytime while kids are at school etc. Can’t imagine he will be busy weekends either in his business as those he trains will be playing themselves.

i imagine all other staff bar Milly & Wild will be on part time contracts.

Another guess for employing a first team coach, is that it may allow Milly or Wild to attend a lot more academy type games to view potential loans, new players etc where these games are played during day time. The new first team coach seems to have decent credentials and experience in the mould of the sorta stuff that Wild was doing before he got our job and Oldham first team job. I suspect they know each other through their roles in academies, etc.

• Like 2

I've just looked up last seasons squad figures, and the reason I dont think we need a 2nd keeper is plain, we played a total of 43 competitive games and Will Appleyard played in 2 of them. Again I state clearly, this is nothing against young Will, it's about money and common sense. 41 times the lad kitted up, warmed up then sat on the bench. It just does not make any sense whatsoever??? Oh yeah, won one, lost one, saved a penalty, but other than that I would not have been confident of having him the starting line up for a league game.

Edited by TommyH72
  • Like 1
23 minutes ago, TommyH72 said:

I've just looked up last seasons squad figures, and the reason I dont think we need a 2nd keeper is plain, we played a total of 43 competitive games and Will Appleyard played in 2 of them. Again I state clearly, this is nothing against young Will, it's about money and common sense. 41 times the lad kitted up, warmed up then sat on the bench. It just does not make any sense whatsoever??? Oh yeah, won one, lost one, saved a penalty, but other than that I would not have been confident of having him the starting line up for a league game.

Who would you have put in goal on those 2 occasions if not Appleyard?

6 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

Who would you have put in goal on those 2 occasions if not Appleyard?

Because we obviously dont take the WRC seriously or however people want to dress it up, I'd have gone with the youth team keeper with Sam on standby. In those two games there were several youth team players who all played ok, Jay Benn especially and Matt Rowson, so why not the keeper.

2 minutes ago, TommyH72 said:

Because we obviously dont take the WRC seriously or however people want to dress it up, I'd have gone with the youth team keeper with Sam on standby. In those two games there were several youth team players who all played ok, Jay Benn especially and Matt Rowson, so why not the keeper.

Yes, fair enough, it's hard to disagree. An experienced goalkeeper turned coach - like Lee Butler - would be ideal. I suppose the risk you take is if your first choice gets badly injured, or demands a transfer, or whatever, you're left to scramble around looking for a new one, and chances are you'll only be able to sign a fourth-rate one, as opposed to the second- or third-rate one you might have signed up as a reserve. It's tough, but on the whole I agree, at this level it's an easy way to save cash.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

Yes, fair enough, it's hard to disagree. An experienced goalkeeper turned coach - like Lee Butler - would be ideal. I suppose the risk you take is if your first choice gets badly injured, or demands a transfer, or whatever, you're left to scramble around looking for a new one, and chances are you'll only be able to sign a fourth-rate one, as opposed to the second- or third-rate one you might have signed up as a reserve. It's tough, but on the whole I agree, at this level it's an easy way to save cash.

I really hate criticizing young players, because thats exactly what they are, young and learning their trade, outfield players get covered by 9 others but a keeper has nowhere to hide. If Sam had got injured during a game then young Appleyard would have had to take his place, but I'm convinced having watched him in the two WRC games that PW would not have started him in the following league game. In other words we would still have had to go after a loan keeper with experience. So basically, to me, it's a pointless exercise. If your keeper gets injured during a game, one of the outfield players takes his place and you just shut up shop and accept the result whatever it is as a one off.

16 minutes ago, Wilder Bollox said:

A better goalkeeper, ie; one that you could trust to not drop a dinner plate, could play all the cup games and even replace Big Sam if he has an howler . Don't know if Sykes-Kenworthy fits that bill but I do know that Rowley and Appleyard didn't

Wont argue that WB, Nicholson is the best back up keeper we've had for a while. When he played those couple of games filling in for Sam a couple of seasons or so ago, he was fine. No glaring issues and personally I felt quite confident with him in there.

Back room staff of seven for seventeen players. Has anyone told Bosomworth?

What on earth will they all do with their time?

Think a bit of belt tightening in order, what will Sargison do that Millington can’t do and vice versa?

No excuse for not having a plan B when games aren’t going well under plan A.