Have we lost our best players?

Matty Brown is probably our best player. And when on form, the second best was Cameron King. Certainly a very good creative player and someone able to unlock a game with a pass, and also score  a goal on occasion.

But King is gone, and Brown is not in Wild's plans. And we also lost Staunton, a good club man and committed player. Versatile, and someone who had height and physical presence, something we have been lacking in.

So I do pray that Wild has found, or will find, suitable replacements.

I did worry when I saw this feedback on the recent game.

In his review of the Guiseley game, AJS wrote:

There seems to be too much reliance on scoring on the counter just like last season...we can't seem to get the attacking midfielder into the game. Seems to be a lot of backwards and sideways passing amongst the back three followed by a long ball down the channels. 

This sounds horribly like the sort of dull, negative football which Fullerton used to serve up, and which became all too common under Wild the further away we got from the Chesterfield away game, when we peaked last season.

• Like 1

Yesterday was another game against a team who in theory should be well ahead of where we are, it was their 5th game. We’ve been back in training less than a fortnight and both halves yesterday had youth team players in the game. Still hard to read anything into it for me

• Like 2

Brown is a big loss. There’s no doubt about it. His leadership, aerial and physical abilities will be sorely missed. However, if he can’t commit to training I understand Wilds reasons for wanting rid. Wouldn’t look good for the captain to miss training etc.

Considering his track record with injuries too and all the midweek games, it would have been a tough for him to stay fit. Plus he doesn’t suit the wide centre back in the 3 at the back system. It was quite clear he was uncomfortable in that role last season. You only have room for one of Brown or Clarke in that middle centre back slot. The two wide ones need to be quicker, agile and ideally good on the ball.

To not have Brown (or Hanson) at least training with the squad is baffling. I can’t get my head around that one. Surely it’s better to keep them fit if we have an injury crisis instead of throwing kids in if we are stuck with them both. 

King is a debatable one for me. I think he’ll struggle to cope with all the midweek games. On his day, he’s class but he didn’t have enough of those days for me. Would go missing a lot and poor physically and defensively. Give Earing some time and I feel he could be an adequate replacement. There’s definitely potential there.

Staunton is an interesting one. I do rate him but we had too many players in the mould of him and Maher last season. I think it was probably for the best that one of them went. It sounds like Green is a similar sort of player but will offer more going forwards.

The biggest miss for me is Duckworth. He was without doubt the player of the season. You could always rely on a 7/10 performance from him. He’s a classy player. To make it worse, we haven’t replaced him which is a worry considering Hanson is also not in our plans. Jeff King has done an ok job there but in reality we need someone else.

18 minutes ago, AJS said:

The biggest miss for me is Duckworth. He was without doubt the player of the season. You could always rely on a 7/10 performance from him. He’s a classy player. To make it worse, we haven’t replaced him which is a worry considering Hanson is also not in our plans. Jeff King has done an ok job there but in reality we need someone else.

Agree that Duckworth is a big loss. But I’m banking on the fact that we haven’t had a poor right back since we’ve reformed. We seemed to have been blessed with consistent 7/10 fullbacks. Hardy, Toulon and even Moyo had their fans and were reliable. While Bolton, Roberts and Duckworth were players that were player of the year type players for us.

Touchwood we are blessed with another decent right back in King or A.n.other

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, Gavlar said:

staunton had no physical presence. Terrible in the air. At fault for many goals conceded when he played cover for Brown. Like someone said. Duckworth is the biggest loss. It’s going to be a long hard season.  

Long hard season? Surely that prediction needs to be based on seeing what our best 11 does out on the park with four or five competive games under their belt. How can you make this statement based on experimental friendlies against teams already game fit? So negative. 

10 minutes ago, shaymen_x said:

Long hard season? Surely that prediction needs to be based on seeing what our best 11 does out on the park with four or five competive games under their belt. How can you make this statement based on experimental friendlies against teams already game fit? So negative. 

Not sure negative is the word I would use, clueless is my choice of word for him 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1