First black international

I went to Crossley-Heath School but have only just learned that Great Britain's first black international (playing for Scotland) was educated at Heath School in Halifax back in the 1860s. His name was Andrew Watson if you want to search for him.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What was his name if I don't want to search for him?

If grammar school boys are supposed to be above average intelligence how did so many end up following Town 

Yes, I'm a Heathen too. Surprised we didn't know about this as I'm guessing some of our teachers would have taught him. 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Hoddie said:

I went to Crossley-Heath School but have only just learned that Great Britain's first black international (playing for Scotland) was educated at Heath School in Halifax back in the 1860s. His name was Andrew Watson if you want to search for him.

What was his name if I don't want to search for him?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
5 minutes ago, Jmc said:

There’s a campaign for a statue of him to be commissioned in Glasgow , no idea he went to Heath , surprised it’s not common knowledge tbh 

Yeah surprised me too. I wondered if he played for the original Halifax FC but a cursory check shows by then he was a paid professional and had moved to London. 

28 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

Yeah surprised me too. I wondered if he played for the original Halifax FC but a cursory check shows by then he was a paid professional and had moved to London. 

Is this before we had any semblance of a football club? 

I went to Heath, first time I have heard of this fascinating story. 

Edited by shaymen_x
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, shaymen_x said:

Quoted myself by mistake..... Grrr 

How do we delete? 

Edited by shaymen_x
9 minutes ago, shaymen_x said:

Is this before we had any semblance of a football glove?

Halifax AFC was founded in 1894, lasted until 1898 or thereabouts. Halifax was not a hotbed of association football at the time but quite a few footballers lived in the district, including one who was described as having been amongst those to have played soccer the longest. This period would have been in the twilight of this player's career but I wondered if he'd returned to Halifax to play for the club, but as I say it's recorded that by then he was in London playing as a professional. I don't know anything about him other than what I've read this morning, but seems he got Bootle into trouble as they were paying him to play before that was allowed. It only became allowed because the FA feared a 'schism' similar to what happened in rugby - where the northern clubs seceded so they could play in a league (hence rugby league) and pay their players.

1 hour ago, Hoddie said:

Wonder if he was mates with Mick Fee

• Like 1
Just now, Jmc said:

Would have assumed this is something the school would have been shouting from  the rooftops 

I have a book about Heath somewhere but I think it's packed away. I'll have to see if he's mentioned at all.

1 hour ago, Jmc said:

There’s a campaign for a statue of him to be commissioned in Glasgow , no idea he went to Heath , surprised it’s not common knowledge tbh 

Thought Shaykehands would have told you about him, he's told everyone else

3 hours ago, shaymen_x said:

Yes, I'm a Heathen too. Surprised we didn't know about this as I'm guessing some of our teachers would have taught him. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, Hoddie said:

think Mr B was always in favour of an amateur arrangement back in the day! I presume no relation to the great Andy Watson who played for us in  late 80's 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Hoddie said:

It does seem strange that he attended Heath Grammar School as there is no other connection that i can find with Halifax. Was Heath a highly regarded Public school back in the day???

1 minute ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

Highest in Halifax.

I've just pulled up the history of the school and it is fascinating, the school dates back to 1585. Really good read actually.

Heath Grammar School History

The first significant date in this history of Heath Grammar School is February 15th 1585 when Queen Elizabeth signed the charter establishing “the free grammar school of Queen Elizabeth.”

19 minutes ago, shaymen_x said:

Not surprised I never heard of him though. In my time it was total rugby union, even kicking a football in the yard was frowned upon. 

It was the same at Crossley-Heath. Mr Fleming wouldn't entertain anything on the moor except running, rugby union and on a couple of occasions whilst I was there, field hockey. Whenever he was on holiday though, and Mr Fielding took over, it was always soccer - no exceptions. The school had remarkable success with sports, particularly rugby union, often reaching the later stages of competitions alongside strong, southern schools, usually public schools. I can understand their reluctance to leave it behind. Assume it's still the same nowadays, even though it's now a language school?

• Like 1