Boris, 6 People and Sport

This could have all been less of a screw up if he had just enforced the lockdown in the first place. He shouldn't have lifted it when he did. Masks should have been mandatory earlier. 

Now we are putting token gestures back in place. Get the hint Boris people are not listening to you anymore. Threats of fines etc. The police presence is not strong enough to enforce this rule or any of the other previous ones. 

We have now got into a situation  where really the country is heading for another full lock down but that'll never happen because the country is already financially crippled as it is and simply cannot afford to go to another lock down 

As for the football at the moment organised team sports are not affected and I hope it stays that way. If clubs have proper protocols in place there shouldn't be an issue. 

But theres always a chance there will be several rule breaking idiots among our support that dont know or refuse to follow simple instructions. That might ruin it for everyone 

Get the police in the pub. Get them in the park. Get them on beaches (wont be an issue for much longer) and dish out some meaty fines until the idiots get the message that they will be caught and they will be punished and see how long they can keep taking the hit. 

As I started with. Enforce it. Dont just put out token gesture rules because people know they will not be caught out it's that simple. 

Edited by Greggs
  • Like 1

Government are slack, agree but they sure as hell ain’t gonna let a 1000 people pack into a stadiums in 3 weeks and clubs can not afford to play behind closed doors at this level. There will be massive changes incoming thick and fast. Can see all games to be postponed whilst the national league mess about trying to make a decision on how to move forward. Not generally a pessimistic person however I just cannot see how given the current trajectory it can result in any other outcome. No one is listening to the government, I mean you have some (quite a few) people who believe it’s all a hoax and a government / Bill Gates conspiracy. How can you possibly expect people to abide by the rules when people believe that ! I work in the NHS I saw the devastation it caused first time round and it’s heading back the same way unfortunately, A&E full of people seriously ill with Covid despite what the media say about no hospital admissions etc.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, shaymandownsouff said:

I might be reading it wrong, but I think the rules are staying the same, but it’s just giving the police more powers. 

6 was always the limit, but Police could only fine you if you went above 30.

Either way, doesn’t look hopeful for sport..

As per my earlier thread, how does this nonsense differ from last nights debacle. No distancing whatsoever, no marshaling. Just basically a free for all. Grounds will be getting closed down right left and centre if things dont change rapidly. Guiseley needs to be a lot better than last night.

10 minutes ago, TommyH72 said:

As per my earlier thread, how does this nonsense differ from last nights debacle. No distancing whatsoever, no marshaling. Just basically a free for all. Grounds will be getting closed down right left and centre if things dont change rapidly. Guiseley needs to be a lot better than last night.

Did they not do a track and trace, or take people's temperatures, on the way in?!

The thing is even if you have the ‘Rona’ and are a few days in you wouldn’t necessarily have a temperature and would still be contagious so temp checking is pretty pointless. On a personal second note when I had it a couple of months back I didn’t get a temperature at all and also no cough.... however was very ill with fatigue, breathing difficulties and loss of appetite...

• Like 1

So what does that press conference mean for the season then? 

There has to be an announcement from the fa regarding what's going to happen. So many clubs are now all set up with a full squad of players.

Will clubs now start going bust by the bucket full? What support will be given from the government to stop that from happening? 

Where's Nick banging on at people to buy season tickets now. I now have a ticket and no idea if I will be able to go to games and when/if this season is even going to start at all

8 minutes ago, Wilder Bollox said:

If you pay after the date you will be in default and lose both payment and season ticket .

The optimistic view is that the season will start sometime even if it's in 12 months

Will there even be a club left by then? Same can be said for every club at this level ones that are not bankrolled anyway 

Squads have been built now with contracts and money spent. If there is now a suspension of the season where games are not allowed in then we would need to see some sort of insurance that those contracts are paid. It would be a logistical nightmare really as players are now working towards being match fit via pre-season and a delay in a start puts all that in the bin.

The other solution would be that if the season is delayed by say a month or so then make teams play the FA Trophy and FA Cup games (Up to round 1 in the FA Cup where League clubs come in) in the first month of the season - and give a participation fee for each club to cover the loss of gate income. 

11 minutes ago, Flea said:

Squads have been built now with contracts and money spent. If there is now a suspension of the season where games are not allowed in then we would need to see some sort of insurance that those contracts are paid. It would be a logistical nightmare really as players are now working towards being match fit via pre-season and a delay in a start puts all that in the bin.

The other solution would be that if the season is delayed by say a month or so then make teams play the FA Trophy and FA Cup games (Up to round 1 in the FA Cup where League clubs come in) in the first month of the season - and give a participation fee for each club to cover the loss of gate income. 

Sensible solutions are not acceptable :lol: although, the main problem is, if you play x number of cup games behind closed doors and at their conclusion the league games still can't start

Most European countries are in the same boat so there is no magic wand available to any government. There’s no saying whether this set of rules works any better than any other. 

Key is social distancing staying outside buildings and washing hands regularly. All of which are possible at the Shay with sensible measures.