Town v Clitheroe ..Today

My overriding opinion of the 2 Halifax teams we saw tonight was that we don`t have any big men with the muscle to make a real nuisance of themselves. 

As for the football. It`s a friendly match on a very sloping pitch against a side who were up for it and played really quite well. Nothing much to write about football wise. 

If I can get some odds on Clitheroe for their league, I will back them. I suspect that they will have a very good season.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First outing for us. Potential big scalp for them. Wonder how we lost? I'd like Town to win every game and I'm one of those daft sods who really enjoys going to clubs like Clitheroe in pre-season, but

Not far behind us? Thats like us saying were nor far behind teams in the Championship. I think your overreacting, it was just friendly and the 1st of quite a few at that. If were still off the pa

If you listen to all Dave Lynch interviews. “Winning mentality, winning mentality” I don’t buy into this “its only preseason” bullshit. As a striker playing against opposition like Clitheroe, you shou

Posted Images

I have to agree that we were out-muscled at times and by the looks of it we will struggle against big strong sides. Benn, Earing, Johnson and Stenson can feel pleased with there performance, the rest have work to do. To be honest after our early goal we never looked like scoring again. Possession wise it was probably 70/30 in favour of Clithero. Early days but plenty to ponder for the manager.

Even i'm on the pessimistic side most of the time, but it's our first pre-season friendly against a team playing their last friendly. They will be much fitter and sharper for starters.

Then you add to the equation that we've got pretty much a brand new team with a few trialists and youngsters making up the numbers. Nothing to read into tonight. Just a case of getting some minutes into the players legs.

Similar case on Saturday against Guiseley too. Think we will start to see a clearer picture against Boston onwards

• Like 1

I'm not going to go overboard on the negatives, I know theres the split feeling when it comes to friendly games, especially the first game back and with so many new players and a couple of trialists, but I'm going to be brutally honest, that was extremely poor. In the first half we mustered 1 shot on target, fortunately the new lad took it very well, but their keeper literally had nothing to do other than pick the ball out of the net on the one occasion. By comparison Big Sam was throwing himself around all over the place trying to prevent them making us look stupid. In all honesty I'm pretty sure that Clithero will have felt very hard done by to go in 1 - 0 down at HT. The second half was as bad as the first, we did create slightly more in terms of shots on goal, but again in comparison, Clithero looked good, playing some good football and scoring two very good goals.

The major issue I have with tonight's game is this, I went there convinced that we would win comfortably, and by that I mean 4/5 goals. Lets not forget we are a professional football team playing 3 divisions higher than Clithero, even if not yet gelling  as a team surely these players that we've been told are the dogs bolax, should have enough know how to out play them, and I mean no disrespect to Clithero in saying that. But I seen no evidence of any quality from an individual, nothing to make me think we've recruited a really good midfielder who can dominate a game, I suppose I'd have to say that the lad who took his chance really well showed that given the opportunity he looks like he knows where the goal is. Other than that I'm kind of deflated more than anything, for me Big Sam shone in the first half and Jeff King in the second, Earing getting bullied doesn't fill me with confidence but Jay Benn will have a future, not just yet though. 

And lastly I will add that I was talking to some Clithero lads, and we forget, they said this was a big game for them, having beaten Curzon Ashton on Saturday they were buzzing, but they considered this a huge game, their words not mine. So they were really up for the game, lets wait a bit longer before we  get critical (overly), But by the same token this was a game that we should have won.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, TommyH72 said:

I'm not going to go overboard on the negatives, I know theres the split feeling when it comes to friendly games, especially the first game back and with so many new players and a couple of trialists, but I'm going to be brutally honest, that was extremely poor. In the first half we mustered 1 shot on target, fortunately the new lad took it very well, but their keeper literally had nothing to do other than pick the ball out of the net on the one occasion. By comparison Big Sam was throwing himself around all over the place trying to prevent them making us look stupid. In all honesty I'm pretty sure that Clithero will have felt very hard done by to go in 1 - 0 down at HT. The second half was as bad as the first, we did create slightly more in terms of shots on goal, but again in comparison, Clithero looked good, playing some good football and scoring two very good goals.

The major issue I have with tonight's game is this, I went there convinced that we would win comfortably, and by that I mean 4/5 goals. Lets not forget we are a professional football team playing 3 divisions higher than Clithero, even if not yet gelling  as a team surely these players that we've been told are the dogs bolax, should have enough know how to out play them, and I mean no disrespect to Clithero in saying that. But I seen no evidence of any quality from an individual, nothing to make me think we've recruited a really good midfielder who can dominate a game, I suppose I'd have to say that the lad who took his chance really well showed that given the opportunity he looks like he knows where the goal is. Other than that I'm kind of deflated more than anything, for me Big Sam shone in the first half and Jeff King in the second, Earing getting bullied doesn't fill me with confidence but Jay Benn will have a future, not just yet though. 

And lastly I will add that I was talking to some Clithero lads, and we forget, they said this was a big game for them, having beaten Curzon Ashton on Saturday they were buzzing, but they considered this a huge game, their words not mine. So they were really up for the game, lets wait a bit longer before we  get critical (overly), But by the same token this was a game that we should have won.

Tommy, at best these are the types of games we should expect to win. Pre-season or no pre-season, with the experience across the team they should be capable of stepping up in games like these and taking control. Even with Clithero having more minutes in the tank they should be capable of stepping on the ball, slowing the game down to a pace that suits us and keeping possession. There were too many wayward passes, or players trying to spray the ball across the field but with no end result other than we gave possession away. Less of the spectacular and more get back to basics for me...pass and move. They have showed in some of the videos from training they are capable of doing this, so now just put it into practise with opposition who are trying to prevent you doing it.    

At the end of the day it was what it was  the first friendly first half team showed far more that the second Clark bossing the defence and once I sorted out which lad was Jay Benn I thought the lad did not look out of place. The right back (poss Adam Henley) had some good spells but after dashing up field looked reluctant to get back again preseason stuff. Thought Jack Earing , Green, Hyde & Stenson  could look the part. Second half very laboured Allan is not a CF and his shot should have been laid off for a certain goal,  Senior looks OK at LB (needs a little bit of discipline.) Who was the lad with blonde hair number 21 looked ok worth another trial and second half keeper looked what he was a 20 year old a little bit better than Eastwood but I still cannot see the point in carrying one. Lazarus had a mazy run but nothing else Summerfield & Bradbury will be 10 times better with Clark along side. At the end of the day it was good to watch a game. Stop worrying folks we will be fine, we will make the play offs.

• Like 2

I was out last night so didn’t get chance to watch the stream. Turned it on briefly when I got home to watch our goal and have a quick look at the trialists.

How small was the centre back?! He must have been around Redshaw height. He’d get murdered in our league. The right wing back definitely wasn’t Henley. 

8 hours ago, TommyH72 said:

Thing is, we treated the game, correctly, as a training exercise, whereas clithero threw everything at it ,like it was a cup final!

• Like 2
Just now, chrisbo61 said:

Thing is, we treated the game, correctly, as a training exercise, whereas clithero threw everything at it ,like it was a cup final!

Yes your right Chrisbo61, the result doesn't matter that much except it's a defeat and Professionals should do better against lesser teams. As I put in my thread, even allowing for the fact it was our first game out, playing 2 different sets of players, I didn't see one player from either team that showed me anything that suggested we have a dominant midfielder, someone who controls a game. And surely that's what we were expecting?? I wasn't expecting free flowing football with fantastic passing, but I was expecting to see at least one player stand out as a creative force, someone that I would have come away from last night thinking, yeah, he's our gonna be the man, the one who will give us the spark, and i'm sorry, but I didnt see anything. In fact, and I know it's extremely early doors, but it was like watching the Eastleigh game back in March. In 90mins, against a team playing 3 levels below us, we got 3 shots in on goal. Not good mate, not good at all.

10 minutes ago, TommyH72 said:

Yes your right Chrisbo61, the result doesn't matter that much except it's a defeat and Professionals should do better against lesser teams. As I put in my thread, even allowing for the fact it was our first game out, playing 2 different sets of players, I didn't see one player from either team that showed me anything that suggested we have a dominant midfielder, someone who controls a game. And surely that's what we were expecting?? I wasn't expecting free flowing football with fantastic passing, but I was expecting to see at least one player stand out as a creative force, someone that I would have come away from last night thinking, yeah, he's our gonna be the man, the one who will give us the spark, and i'm sorry, but I didnt see anything. In fact, and I know it's extremely early doors, but it was like watching the Eastleigh game back in March. In 90mins, against a team playing 3 levels below us, we got 3 shots in on goal. Not good mate, not good at all.

Thing is though, im fairly sure that Wild will have told them all to just go out, get a feel for how each other plays, and enjoy yourself, I could tell by watching that they had no real intent! That's not what the game was about!

Don't panic!

Also the fact that we played 22 players .

Edited by chrisbo61
5 minutes ago, chrisbo61 said:

Thing is though, im fairly sure that Wild will have told them all to just go out, get a feel for how each other plays, and enjoy yourself, I could tell by watching that they had no real intent! That's not what the game was about!

Don't panic!

Also the fact that we played 22 players .

Well, I hope your right mate. But I will expect much more at Guiseley.

11 hours ago, chrisbo61 said:

Just as well it was a meaningless, pre season trying exercise then eh!

Yep aimless balls like last season tho..Thought we were trying something different..Before u jump down my throat ok.it was our first pre season game..

11 hours ago, chrisbo61 said:

Walk in the park, never needed to take the handbrake off, never mind get into first gear!

The result is irrelevant, its all about sorting out who does what when it comes to actual competition!

Loads complaining why you not having a go at them..Or is it personal i will jump down your neck

2 minutes ago, FCHT15 said:

Loads complaining why you not having a go at them..Or is it personal i will jump down your neck

This suggests you're threatening another use? Surely not. First and LAST warning.

10 hours ago, Gavlar said:

If you listen to all Dave Lynch interviews. “Winning mentality, winning mentality” I don’t buy into this “its only preseason” bullshit. As a striker playing against opposition like Clitheroe, you should be looking to get a bag full. We’ve signed wingers? Tell me once in 90mins when we’ve gone down the sides and beaten them? Not once!!! It was tippy tappy hoofball. 3-4 passes then lump it long. Preseason or not. We should be knocking 4-5-6 past them. If that’s the way he wants to play this season. I want a refund on my season ticket 

Be careful what ya say..They will attack ya 

Just now, Hoddie said:

This suggests you're threatening another use? Surely not. First and LAST warning.

Has to be you doesn't it another one who attack s everything i write..why is it threatening..And no i haven't ever had a warning but knowing you..Feel free to give me one..sick of this clique on here anyway Noddie

1 minute ago, FCHT15 said:

Has to be you doesn't it another one who attack s everything i write..why is it threatening..And no i haven't ever had a warning but knowing you..Feel free to give me one..sick of this clique on here anyway Noddie

Equally, you've never reported anything and I've not noticed anything directed at you. Opinions differ and people post to support their opinion, that's what a discussion forum is. The rules permit banter, mild insults and swearing when called for. They don't permit threatening language which is how I read "I will jump down your neck" - your words. I realise your intent may have been to be ironic, but it's just easier if there's a zero tolerance approach to that kind of nonsense.

1 minute ago, Hoddie said:

Equally, you've never reported anything and I've not noticed anything directed at you. Opinions differ and people post to support their opinion, that's what a discussion forum is. The rules permit banter, mild insults and swearing when called for. They don't permit threatening language which is how I read "I will jump down your neck" - your words. I realise your intent may have been to be ironic, but it's just easier if there's a zero tolerance approach to that kind of nonsense.

I don't know the guy so hardly gonna jump down his neck violence wise..i dont think it would be possible anyway..i meant verbally