Fans to self isolate

Up to 300 fans have been told to self isolate for 14 days after attending a charity football match at the Burnside Working Mans Club near Sunderland on August 30th after 28 fans have tested positive.

Not a good start to having spectators in grounds.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Shaymen2008 said:

Up to 300 fans have been told to self isolate for 14 days after attending a charity football match at the Burnside Working Mans Club near Sunderland on August 30th after 28 fans have tested positive.

Not a good start to having spectators in grounds.

Don't think they followed the rules, wonder how many were watching the game and how many at bar

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Wilder Bollox said:

Gives more power to the idiots making the rules unfortunately

Or the bigger idiots not following them and spoiling it for everyone.

• Like 1

Trials seem to have gone reasonably well elsewhere, though. From what I’ve heard the trials in the county cricket matches have been very successful (although I’m basing that purely from the chat on TMS commentary of the recent England games).

How does anyone know if all of the 28 didn’t already have COVID-19 before entering the ground?

and if all of them 28 socially distanced then where is the story?

lots of ifs and buts.....

as long as the media can give half a story from a one dimensional stand point then reports like this and many others of late including BLM can be sensationalised.

Edited by Grayski
  • Like 1
32 minutes ago, Grayski said:

How does anyone know if a large proportion of the 28 didn’t already have COVID-19 before entering the ground?

lots of ifs and buts.....

as long as the media can give half a story from a one dimensional stand point then reports like this and many others of late including BLM can be sensationalised.

Nothing in the media report was sensationalised. It said that 28 people tested positive and as a result of track and trace, 300 have to self isolate.

It is literally the full story. But please do keep shouting at clouds about “the media”

Without going down a rabbit hole into what should be a South Stand Bar topic, I am confused over the fact that we have rising cases but no comparable rise, yet, in hospital admissions or deaths. Does this mean we are better able to tolerate the virus, as the biggest increase in infections are in the younger generations, from what it appears seem to asymptomatic. The experts and govt keep going on about testing but each time I see pictures of testing centres in Leeds there is very little going on.

Testing is the way forward, until we have a vaccine, but I am of the opinion, that local flare ups excepted, a rise in cases that the population are able to tolerate without swamping the NHS, which is the mantra we had drummed home at the start, then we should factor this is as part of the new normal, and get on with life. When you factor in the lack of clarity over what any of the guidelines offer, it can be easy to see why some increase in cases is bound to happen.

• Like 2

It is inevitable that once we start to allow fans to attend matches, the odd match now and again will have a positive COVID case afterwards and people will be advised to self isolate. Get used to it - it doesn't mean we should panic and it doesn't mean we should just decide fans attending sporting events is a bad idea. 

When I go to the supermarket who knows if I come into contact with someone who then gets a positive test? At a football match track and trace will actually have people's details so they can actually be contacted and asked to isolate - that's the only difference.

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, shaymandownsouff said:

Ah yes, dressing up spouting something patently wrong as “my opinion”.

Tend to agree with the general thrust of Graysky's comment. The media do throw out sensational headlines with little or no detailed substance, trouble is if it's on the news or in the paper a vast majority believe it to be fact.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Roy Race said:

Tend to agree with the general thrust of Graysky's comment. The media do throw out sensational headlines with little or no detailed substance, trouble is if it's on the news or in the paper a vast majority believe it to be fact.

This particular case literally was fact. The BBC headline was factual, the story was factual.

300 people went to a football game and are now self isolating.

Just because you don’t like it doesn’t change the truth. It really isn’t rocket science. 

I really dont get why people have a go at each other on this forum over different opinions?...it puts people off going on the forum or posting its pathetic..I'm new to the forum and it was that reason ive held back for years coming on.. I havent clashed with any one or slagged anyone off for having an opinion different to mine apart from cheadle bellend who's a stockport fan with a shitty attitude..just think people need to give there head a shake when others dont agree with you especially when we all support the same team....theres banter which is fine or there's been a prat

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, ITMAN said:

The 1968 Hong Kong flu virus, which killed more people than Covid, is still with us. You do not "beat" or eradicate a virus. You carry on regardless and develop immunity.

I disagree with you..you fool...:D

17 minutes ago, ITMAN said:

The 1968 Hong Kong flu virus, which killed more people than Covid, is still with us. You do not "beat" or eradicate a virus. You carry on regardless and develop immunity.

Flu and pneumonia are very different but neither should cause mass disruption . The carry on regardless attitude is part of the problem and not the cure

18 minutes ago, Wilder Bollox said:

Flu and pneumonia are very different but neither should cause mass disruption . The carry on regardless attitude is part of the problem and not the cure

I made the reference because there have been some twitter comments floating about, from politicians, around the need for having a full lock down for everyone until we are covid free. Even with a vaccine the world will never be covid free, the aim to do this is impossible, therefore we have to adapt, or in the same way as a virus - mutate, to cope with it. The carry on regardless was not meant as a justification for ignoring all and any guidelines, but an observation that if you do stick to the guidance provided about washing your hands, wearing a face mask, maintaining social distancing, then it should be possible to "carry on regardless" with the new normal version of life as we now know it.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, shaymandownsouff said:

This particular case literally was fact. The BBC headline was factual, the story was factual.

300 people went to a football game and are now self isolating.

Just because you don’t like it doesn’t change the truth. It really isn’t rocket science. 

With no background as to where the issues were. In the ground or in the bar or at the burger stand, shabby reporting.

42 minutes ago, Roy Race said:

With no background as to where the issues were. In the ground or in the bar or at the burger stand, shabby reporting.

Oh my days, the purpose of the report was not to say that the event was dangerous, or even the cause!

Just to say that due to track and trace, if there are lots of people present and one of them who happens to be there tests positive, lots of people will have to self isolate. Regardless of the danger/risk of the event you’re attending.

It was not scare mongering, it was factual. You can’t blame “the media” if you’re not even willing to read what it says.

• Like 1