BTM this is just for you well and other oldies quiz.

31 minutes ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

That must have been too easy, you will be off BTM´s christmas card list.

If not for Pete Downsborough he would have been our keeper for a while.

How come he's not listed in our history of keepers?? He apparently made 72 appearances and yet there's no mention of him in Johnny Meynells list.

19 minutes ago, Bill Atkins said:

Did John Wray from the local league play the odd match

I cant say I've heard of him. But was there a good keeper who played for the IDC have some involvement with the club? Something wurling round in my head!!

I know I mentioned this in passing before, but does anyone know anything about  the player in this picture, Jim McKernan, he's front right knelt down. He was at Tommy Moore's when I started there, and when he was due to leave the Headmaster Jim O Reilly got him up on stage at assembly and told the whole school that he'd got an apprenticeship with Town. This is the only thing I've ever seen of Jim in a Town shirt and I often wondered what happened to him. 

halifaxtownl.jpg

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

He should be he was a good keeper.

David knowles and Peter Downsborough were about the same age and at the Shay at same time. Difficult in the early days to choose between them and each would have a run in first team until they made a mistake and then the other would be chosen. Have to admit I preferred Peter in goal.

10 minutes ago, Hxmitch said:

David knowles and Peter Downsborough were about the same age and at the Shay at same time. Difficult in the early days to choose between them and each would have a run in first team until they made a mistake and then the other would be chosen. Have to admit I preferred Peter in goal.

Sadly been omitted from the Halifax Town goalkeepers list.

Halifax Town goalkeepers: The colourful characters between the sticks for The Shaymen

In the second part of his special feature for the Courier on Halifax Town goalkeepers, club historian Johnny Meynell looks at those who hit the headlines in the post-war period.

Edited by TommyH72
24 minutes ago, TommyH72 said:

I cant say I've heard of him. But was there a good keeper who played for the IDC have some involvement with the club? Something wurling round in my head!!

Johnny Hough!!! I knew it. Played one game and kept a clean sheet.

Edited by TommyH72
  • Like 1
19 minutes ago, Hxmitch said:

Peter was the better keeper but David was not far behind.