More than 30 MPs have written to sports minister Nigel Huddleston calling for fans to be allowed to attend non-league football matches.

A letter coordinated by former sports minister Tracey Crouch and Dame Cheryl Gillan, and sent to Huddleston on Monday, has asked the government to "urgently open the gates and let fans in".

The MPs warned that clubs "at the heart of our constituencies" could be "lost forever" if an exemption is not granted.

They are calling for a distinction to be drawn between non-league clubs, which "tend to be supported by those within the town itself" and where average crowds are "in the hundreds", and those above them in the Premier League and English Football League.

Leagues at Steps 5 and 6 were due to begin on 5 September but have said they will not do so without fans.

"Given we are now allowing indoor activities to resume in a Covid-safe way, we simply do not understand why non-league football clubs in outdoor stadia cannot allow their small but loyal fans back in through the gates," the letter from MPs said.

5 minutes ago, Skircoat Shed Archive said:

It's well-intentioned but I can't see how it could be applied to our league where Stockport & Notts County, with an average around 5,000 could open wheras say, League 2 Morecambe and Crawley with a figure less than half of that couldn't.

Maybe the size of the ground is a factor as well?

1 minute ago, Skircoat Shed Archive said:

It should be but sounds like a nightmare to organise. Although the expanses at The Shay could prove to be an advantage for a change.

Yes, I think the Wrexham figure was being used as an example, they have a 10,250 capacity but could only have around 2,000 socially distanced. So roughly 20% of the normal capacity. 

1 hour ago, Skircoat Shed Archive said:

I have a feeling that somebody said The Skircoat needed some work for a safety certificate. Hope I'm misremembering that.

I spoke to somebody today who works as a steward and he said its condemned. How much of that I believe I don't know. 

32 minutes ago, Icke's Lizard said:

I spoke to somebody today who works as a steward and he said its condemned. How much of that I believe I don't know. 

Time for a freedom of information request to CBC perhaps

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, Icke's Lizard said:

I also read somewhere in a council report that it is the roof that's up the swannee so it only had a couple of years before it needed to be pulled down.

1 minute ago, ITMAN said:

I also read somewhere in a council report that it is the roof that's up the swannee so it only had a couple of years before it needed to be pulled down.

Well I'm sure they can replace it but would rather spend their money on consulting whether to pedestrianise winding road outside burger king that will only lying cause traffic problems around town with knock on effects. 

Oh and blame Covid on everything. 

4 minutes ago, arryarry said:

This looks bad news for us? I think we`re tier 5? 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53817206

Suspect further guidance will be announced later on. Far less fans further down the leagues is easier to manage. 

National league and many football league fans also wouldn't survive without fans though and I'm sure this will be getting stated 

54 minutes ago, Greggs said:

Suspect further guidance will be announced later on. Far less fans further down the leagues is easier to manage. 

National league and many football league fans also wouldn't survive without fans though and I'm sure this will be getting stated 

Its stupid. People think only the Premier League Exists.

What stops 1000 Shaymen going to watch Brighouse and so forth.

Fans go to games and not watch it on Sky.

6 minutes ago, Kay Shay-ra Shay-Ra said:

The problem is at that level I suspect the fan bases are not too dissimilar and grounds fairly similar also so it's easier to have a general rule for all. 

At our level. You have fan bases from 700 right upto 5,000 and stadiums of different shapes and sizes. You cant just have a general rule. Each individual club has to work out how to best operate. Some clubs in the league with the smaller stadiums but still healthy support will struggle to socially distance supporters. 

3 hours ago, Kay Shay-ra Shay-Ra said:

My side are obviously now allowed fans in. Nuneaton ground holds approx 4560 and been told allowed 1520 to attend. With no Cov, Leicester and Villa fans allowed to attend their games, I expect to see that 1500 figure coming close to max. 

6 hours ago, mj85 said:

My side are obviously now allowed fans in. Nuneaton ground holds approx 4560 and been told allowed 1520 to attend. With no Cov, Leicester and Villa fans allowed to attend their games, I expect to see that 1500 figure coming close to max. 

Perhaps Towns gates will be bigger than normal, attracting Poodles and Leeds fans who can't watch their teams live.

Another Mr B offer for special rates to other club ST holders ?

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, rdj said:

Perhaps Towns gates will be bigger than normal, attracting Poodles and Leeds fans who can't watch their teams live.

Another Mr B offer for special rates to other club ST holders 

No need to give special rates he will be outside ticket touting, or will  get someone to do it for him

34 minutes ago, Shaymen1984 said:

Government guidance for below National North and South allowing 30% capacity from September. Heading in the right direction. Should hopefully mean good news for the National in October, all being well. 

I just hope they dont assume national league clubs can afford behind closed doors just because it's considered elite sport. I guess any announcement the national league makes has to be hand in hand with the efl as it's all elite sport and once they are allowed we will be. 

Be interesting to see what happens if we get another month down the line with still no positive news. Do the league delay the start further? 

Or does the league get forceful at that point and say look we  cant start this league without fans attending plain and simple. 

Edited by Greggs
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, rdj said:

Temporary morgue facilities are being decommissioned in other counties.

Has the Shay been released from its designation as a temporary morgue facility?

You can put your house on Calderdale being one of, if not the last, Councils to act. Expect any restrictions to be in place for the longest possible time.