The Alternative Season Ticket.

8 minutes ago, shaymen down under said:

Summerfield - originally from Plymouth, but been up north a while. 

Hyde - down south

Stenson - Coventry area.

Woods - Scottish but maybe based in Doncaster.

Johnson - Stoke area??

Maher, King, Allen, Williams - all north west/Liverpool 

RNL, Clarkey, Senior - Halifax/Hudds

Green - North East

From that list, maybe Summerfield, Hyde and Stenson May be in the Leeds house?

Last season think it was about 6 or so in accommodation - cooper and appleyard, TSS & JBW, and CK and Staunton.

Cooper and JBW were not in the house.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Had they already been voted out? 

The club has to plan ahead even without knowing how things will spin out. Our fans would be very vocal on here if the club went into hibernation providing no information for  for supporters, so t

JBW lived at the 24hr McDonald's at Birstall didnt he?

1 hour ago, shaymen down under said:

Watching back the interviews with Pete wild, the way our contracts are structured is that we don’t start paying them till 5 weeks before the season starts, hence why we are starting pre season this Friday coming. So technically we don’t start paying the player till next week.

I know ..we start paying players when they start preseason.. which is before we will know that games can be attended

some here moan that we are too slow to sign players and we have too small a budget .. yet when they say they can afford to put there hand in pocket but won’t until they have it guaranteed they can attend matches .. that to me seems an odd thing to say .. 

• Confused 1
1 minute ago, Nick said:

I know ..we start paying players when they start preseason.. which is before we will know that games can be attended

some here moan that we are too slow to sign players and we have too small a budget .. yet when they say they can afford to put there hand in pocket but won’t until they have it guaranteed they can attend matches .. that to me seems an odd thing to say .. 

So your saying wanting to be able to get the thing you are paying for is strange? What other part of life would you accept paying for something but not getting it? 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Greggs said:

You keep harping back to this. At the moment fans are not allowed to attend games. If you have £300 quid to throw away on a ticket you might not be able to use go for it. 

However most people are holding off till they get an answer off the people at the top and you know what that's absolutely fine regardless of your protestations on the subject. 

Personally I can afford a ticket at this very moment. But I want guarantees I can attend the games. Is there anything wrong with that when I'm paying £300 for that very privilege? 

If the government pull there finger out and announce tomorrow or at any point that fans can attend then I will immediately buy a ticket. 

Until then many will continue to be sensible with there finances.

Greggs, I can see both sides of the argument.

Nick wants to try to help the club through committing to a Season Ticket, and fortunately he is in a position where he is happy to accept the risk this poses.

At the same time we have other loyal supporters who have both followed and supported the club financially through thick and thin, who now, in this time off unprecedented situations, wish to err on the side of caution, until they have some form of guarantee that they will be able to get into the Shay to see the new seasons fixtues if they go ahead as planned.

We are all only too well ware of how the financial budget of the club is balanced, and one of the factors that plays a huge part is the income the club derives from advance sales of advertising, sponsorship and season ticket sales. You do not have to be a rocket scientist to understand that if a major part of your business plan suddenly goes out of the window then you have  some work to do to try to mitigate the impact this will have on the business overall and especially the cashflow.

It has already been discussed about the magnificant efforts the supporters have already made with Project Playoffs and that everybody dug deep in their pockets, and no doubt even down the back of the sofa, to come up with a superb doantion to the club. But, it is not an inexhaustible source of money to help the club, due to many factors. Some supporters are finding it hard to commit to the higher cost of a season ticket, especially when there is no guarantee that we will have spectators in the ground come the 3rd October, although the signs are promising with clubs lower in the pyramid now being able to allow paying spectators through the door. One point to consider, is that at the end of last season when there were 3 remaining games cancelled, the club did offer a refund for those games, so based on that precedent, even if you did purchase a season ticket for the 2020/21season and some of the games were plaayed behind closed doors, then I would expect to be reimbursed for those games I was not allowed to see.

So, the tricky question people like Nick, Flea and myself, to name a few, have asked is what do the supporters want to see that would give them peace of mind to commit to some form of purchase that would help the club to "normalise" the cash flow?

• Would a guarantee, that any games you would not be allowed to attend would be either reimbursed or held on account?
  • Would being able to buy tickets in blocks of 6 for use at any game, with say a price of £100 be acceptable.
  • Would the concept of a Flexi-Card, which gives you a discount from the standard price for a fixed amount, say £100, for all league games? (Although it is unlikely this could be implemented for 20/21).
  • Would the offer of spreading the cost of the S/T over longer period be attractive? Especially for those supporters who would find it hard to find £299 in a lump sum.

What we all want, I think, is to come up with a set of answers which give each of the groups of supporters, with different reasons for holding back, enough confidence to do something to help move the club forward. Even at the end of this there will still be ssome supporters who for other reasons that still cannot commit in the way they have done in the past, but hopefully some of the ideas listed above might still help to reduce the overall cost of attedning a game at the Shay.

Let us not forget that there are other ways to provide some financial assistance to the club such as the new Supporters Club Gold membershp scheme, which provides benefits for a reasonable monthly commitment, and which gives the club VAT free revenue.

I know we have had some contributors putting forward the argument that the football club is just another business and that it is down to the owner to dig deep and not the customers, as is happening up and down the High Street,  but I would counter this in that as far as "businesses" go we are not comparing "apples with apples". The contribution the football club plays in the local community is not to be underestimated. The loyalty shown by the "customers" of this business is different to any shown to say Woolworths or the Halifax. It is in all of our interests to support the "owner" in his endeavours, along with those of his employees (PW and the players, as well as the backroom staff) to advance the standard of football being played at the Shay, and to increase and improve the entertainment value and enjoyment we all get from sitting/standing around in football grounds, because after all what else would we do on a Saturday afternoon or Tuesday evening.....      

Edited by ITMAN
  • Like 1

As I can’t make midweek games I’m waiting for the fixtures to come out to see how many of those there are before deciding on a season ticket. If it isn’t cost effective for one then I would probably buy in to the flexi ticket idea, paying a lump sum for a reduced match day admission.

• Like 1

An added issue is track and trace compliance and exactly what we'll have to do when attending games to satisfy that . We don't all have the newest edition mobile phone (some probably don't even have phones and even if they do they might not take them to football)

2 minutes ago, neilstewart said:

As I can’t make midweek games I’m waiting for the fixtures to come out to see how many of those there are before deciding on a season ticket. If it isn’t cost effective for one then I would probably buy in to the flexi ticket idea, paying a lump sum for a reduced match day admission.

Neil, all of the indications are that the time lost with the October start will be made up by increasing the number of mid-week games. Plus, we still have the FA Cup and Trophy taking up at least 2 Sat slots befor Christmas.

So that leaves 11 Saturdays between the 3rd October and the end of December for League fixtures

From Jan to the end of the season on 29th May there are a further 22 Saturdays, one of these will be Good Friday.

So that effectively requires 13 midweek games, npt allowing for any FA Cup or FA Trophy games if we get past the 1st stage of each competiton. Factor in any games postponed due to weather then we could be looking at around 17 midweek games. Or approx. 8 midweek home games. 

So it would look on paper that a S/T would not be an advantage over paying on the gate for the games you can attend. 15 home games you probably could attend would give you an average cost per game of £19.93 per game on the S/T basis. On the gate as we know is £20, so anything that coud be done with block tickets would be the most advantageous to a supporter in your situation.

29 minutes ago, Wilder Bollox said:

An added issue is track and trace compliance and exactly what we'll have to do when attending games to satisfy that . We don't all have the newest edition mobile phone (some probably don't even have phones and even if they do they might not take them to football)

Maybe if this was linked to S/C membership, where we do have the contact details, then it could be simplified for those without technical knowledge or a smartphone. Production of your paper based S/C membership card would allow the club to easily record who has attended, on top of any other provisions put in place.

3 hours ago, Greggs said:

So your saying wanting to be able to get the thing you are paying for is strange? What other part of life would you accept paying for something but not getting it? 

Supporting a lower league club is not like anything else in life .. what other part of life would you spend your own money just to end up miserable on far too many Saturdays.. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, ITMAN said:

If we have far fewer players who need to lodge in Leeds rather than commuting on a daily basis to training then the costs for this should be less than last season. Instead of a 5 bedroom house it might be more like a 2 bed flat.

As long as Hanson isn't in there then the others should be safe!!! (Allegedly)

33 minutes ago, ITMAN said:

Neil, all of the indications are that the time lost with the October start will be made up by increasing the number of mid-week games. Plus, we still have the FA Cup and Trophy taking up at least 2 Sat slots befor Christmas.

So that leaves 11 Saturdays between the 3rd October and the end of December for League fixtures

From Jan to the end of the season on 29th May there are a further 22 Saturdays, one of these will be Good Friday.

So that effectively requires 13 midweek games, npt allowing for any FA Cup or FA Trophy games if we get past the 1st stage of each competiton. Factor in any games postponed due to weather then we could be looking at around 17 midweek games. Or approx. 8 midweek home games. 

So it would look on paper that a S/T would not be an advantage over paying on the gate for the games you can attend. 15 home games you probably could attend would give you an average cost per game of £19.93 per game on the S/T basis. On the gate as we know is £20, so anything that coud be done with block tickets would be the most advantageous to a supporter in your situation.

More midweek games is a massive advantage for me. Recently been told I cant do 6-2's on in Saturdays to go along with footie even though it's worked perfectly for years. So bring on the floodlit games. :lol:

3 hours ago, Nick said:

yet when they say they can afford to put there hand in pocket but won’t until they have it guaranteed they can attend matches .. that to me seems an odd thing to say .. 

I'm all for anything that helps generate income to the club, however I feel I also need to be honest about my thoughts.

I am personally uncomfortable with people saying fans should just get a season ticket etc, when there are a ton of legitimate questions about the make up of next season. Just because someone may now have the income for a ticket doesn't mean they should part with it if they have concerns on how many games they could attend - and even more importantly concerns about future employment due to an unstable job market after we start getting back to some sort of normality. 

By all means, if you can and are willing to run the risk, buy a ticket now. Its needed. However, I certainly can not knock or criticise anyone who is holding off for whatever reason. As stated a few months ago, if you are buying a season ticket now and you have a family to support, with questions over your short term finance/job then you aren't a hero helping the club, your an idiot potentially hurting your family. 

I've bought my ticket, but my personal circumstances mean I know if I lost that money it wouldn't hurt me. Others don't have that luxury and I think its unfair to put pressure on them to make that call at the present time. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, Flea said:

I'm all for anything that helps generate income to the club, however I feel I also need to be honest about my thoughts.

I am personally uncomfortable with people saying fans should just get a season ticket etc, when there are a ton of legitimate questions about the make up of next season. Just because someone may now have the income for a ticket doesn't mean they should part with it if they have concerns on how many games they could attend - and even more importantly concerns about future employment due to an unstable job market after we start getting back to some sort of normality. 

By all means, if you can and are willing to run the risk, buy a ticket now. Its needed. However, I certainly can not knock or criticise anyone who is holding off for whatever reason. As stated a few months ago, if you are buying a season ticket now and you have a family to support, with questions over your short term finance/job then you aren't a hero helping the club, your an idiot potentially hurting your family. 

I've bought my ticket, but my personal circumstances mean I know if I lost that money it wouldn't hurt me. Others don't have that luxury and I think its unfair to put pressure on them to make that call at the present time. 

That's why the club need to offer a compromise that supporters could sign up to. They did do a 6 games for the price of 5 offer at the back end of last season, admittedley it did not get much traction, but circumstances have changed since then. Some form of lower price point or more flexible form of ticket would possibly meet most of the needs for both the club to get some advance sales in, and for fans who want to support the club but who also want some security that what they pay for they will get.

The difference here is this is not a donation like most of Project Playoffs was but a way of having a "contract" that if we are brutality honest needs to have a "money back guarantee" if for any reason we ended up with no spectators. This is no different to a number of gigs or concerts I had tickets for this year that were cancelled, I got my money back.

31 minutes ago, Flea said:

Never disagreed with anybody who says I am short of cash ..I have my family to think about .. I am worried about my job .. all perfect reasons not to buy a season ticket ..

but I struggle to understand those who say they can afford but won’t because they want guarantees about being allowed to attend .. when it’s impossible for the club to give guarantees as it’s not within their gift.. 

yet the club who many of the same people criticise for having a lowing budget or glfir not having made bigger signings... have still gone ahead in all this uncertainty and are assembling a decent squad ..if you want a decent team and hope for the club to do well in these uncertain time then those who aren’t facing uncertainty themselves should do the best they can .. 

the supporters are the life blood of any club.. except some seem to what it both ways ... 

• Sad 1
12 hours ago, Greggs said:

Council re cycling!

• Haha 3
5 hours ago, pen21 said:

Apology if already mentioned 

what about a 10 game season ticket for £ 150.00 

Another variation. Wrexhan have proposed a similar scheme instead of S/T's for ths season, blocks of 10 to start with then a last 3 games as a block. At the price you mention would it still be attactive, say 10 @ £150, with 3 @ £45 = £345 for all 23 games?

The differentiation would be that full S/T's would take precedence in all ticket allocation, followed by block tickets, followed by S/C members, with the rest being open to open sale.

Edited by ITMAN
  • Like 1
16 hours ago, ITMAN said:

If we have far fewer players who need to lodge in Leeds rather than commuting on a daily basis to training then the costs for this should be less than last season. Instead of a 5 bedroom house it might be more like a 2 bed flat.

If DB is as wealthy as we think he is, I would have thought he owns the house in Leeds as an investment. It is more likely to go up in value than decrease and will always be an asset. But rent for the training base is a different matter.  

I think what we will never get over is that the football club is not controlled by the supporters and the financial side is not therefore their responsibility as it would be, for example, with a golf club.

DB decided he wanted to own a football club (why I don't know) and as the sole shareholder is responsible for the financial stability of the club. We are his customers and decide whether the product on offer is worth purchasing. At this present moment there is no guarantee that the product is available for consumption.

I don't think the club actually expect us to buy a season ticket until there is clarity on attendance at matches.

At the end of the day the club are gambling on enough fans being allowed to attend and buy season tickets and we would be gambling on being able to attend games throughout the season.

I suspect some of our older supporters with health issues themselves or within their families will also be unlikely to attend.

If the maximum attendance allowed is 1,200 how can this possibly be viable?

If it decreed that we have to sit there for two hours wearing a face mask then I probably won't bother.

There are so many unknown factors affecting individual choice at the moment I don't know how anyone can make sensible decisions. I am amazed the  club are ploughing on as if it is business as normal but maybe they know something we don't know in terms of attendances. In the meantime we can only assume DB is prepared to underwrite potential losses which is fine with me as that is his choice.

1 hour ago, Hands Off The Shay said:

There are so many unknown factors affecting individual choice at the moment I don't know how anyone can make sensible decisions. I am amazed the  club are ploughing on as if it is business as normal but maybe they know something we don't know in terms of attendances. In the meantime we can only assume DB is prepared to underwrite potential losses which is fine with me as that is his choice.

The club has to plan ahead even without knowing how things will spin out.

Our fans would be very vocal on here if the club went into hibernation providing no information for  for supporters, so the club appear to be making all the reasonably right noises.

It seems reasonable for the club to seek support from fans to buy season tickets even in the difficult circumstanes.

The alternative would appear to be give up now just in case further restrictions/ delays are placed upon us.

• Like 4
43 minutes ago, rdj said:

The club has to plan ahead even without knowing how things will spin out.

Our fans would be very vocal on here if the club went into hibernation providing no information for  for supporters, so the club appear to be making all the reasonably right noises.

It seems reasonable for the club to seek support from fans to buy season tickets even in the difficult circumstanes.

The alternative would appear to be give up now just in case further restrictions/ delays are placed upon us.

Totally agree