Jump to content

Players that most fans liked but you didn’t see why..


Recommended Posts

I also never really got the Mike Fondop love in. He thought he was better than he was - demanding to be our highest earner by 30% if he signed. 

Rodney twice the player Fondop is. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Dan Gardner - Lazy, selfish, disinterested but turned it on for 90 secs so everyone thought he had a god given right to start over a 90 min player. Fully understood why Aspin would bring him off the bench.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sumbody said:

Dan Gardner - Lazy, selfish, disinterested but turned it on for 90 secs so everyone thought he had a god given right to start over a 90 min player. Fully understood why Aspin would bring him off the bench.

Players like Gardner will never play for 90 mins. Otherwise he’d be premiership quality. The 5-10min cameo he does give you. Normally results in goals or assists. The games against Grimsby and Luton away showed what he were about. Would take him over cam king all day long. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Denton. Scored well in the conference north as he always has. Came up to this level. Scored mainly back post tap ins. Having him up there encouraged very little build up to be played. His flick ons generally went to noone because he didn't even know where it was going most of the time. His best work was in his own box. Couldnt use his feet. Was just a very limited player. 

Done very little at this level since leaving either 

Cue the pitchforks but the topic was brought up by someone else and as everyone else has done I'm just sharing my opinion. 

Edited by Greggs
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Greggs said:

Denton. Scored well in the conference north as he always has. Came up to this level. Scored mainly back post tap ins. Having him up there encouraged very little build up to be played. His flick ons generally went to noone because he didn't even know where it was going most of the time. His best work was in his own box. Couldnt use his feet. Was just a very limited player. 

Done very little at this level since leaving either 

Cue the pitchforks but the topic was brought up by someone else and as everyone else has done I'm just sharing my opinion. 

Sorry Greggs but I just cant agree on this one! Dents was far better for us than he seems to be given credit for. His goals may have been back post tap ins, so what, Allan Clarke, Gary Linaker and such luminaries made careers out of exactly that and no one criticizes them? He played 74 games for us and scored 27 goals or 1 in 2.4 games, I'll take that all day long. In fact had we had a striker with that potency last season we would now be gearing up for League 2. As for his lone roll, pulling the ball down and laying it off, he was exceptional, the fact that he really was on his own with no support, what was he supposed to do?? Yes, he doesn't have any pace so his game was about being in the right place at the right time, and I suggest that his stats say he was. And lets not forget, he had Josh Mac providing some great crosses for him, it hasn't  been lost on me that Dentons loss of form coincided with Josh's injury.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, TommyH72 said:

Sorry Greggs but I just cant agree on this one! Dents was far better for us than he seems to be given credit for. His goals may have been back post tap ins, so what, Allan Clarke, Gary Linaker and such luminaries made careers out of exactly that and no one criticizes them? He played 74 games for us and scored 27 goals or 1 in 2.4 games, I'll take that all day long. In fact had we had a striker with that potency last season we would now be gearing up for League 2. As for his lone roll, pulling the ball down and laying it off, he was exceptional, the fact that he really was on his own with no support, what was he supposed to do?? Yes, he doesn't have any pace so his game was about being in the right place at the right time, and I suggest that his stats say he was. And lets not forget, he had Josh Mac providing some great crosses for him, it hasn't  been lost on me that Dentons loss of form coincided with Josh's injury.  

Also his defensive job. 9 times out of 10 when a corner was put into our box it was denton heading it away

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, TommyH72 said:

Sorry Greggs but I just cant agree on this one! Dents was far better for us than he seems to be given credit for. His goals may have been back post tap ins, so what, Allan Clarke, Gary Linaker and such luminaries made careers out of exactly that and no one criticizes them? He played 74 games for us and scored 27 goals or 1 in 2.4 games, I'll take that all day long. In fact had we had a striker with that potency last season we would now be gearing up for League 2. As for his lone roll, pulling the ball down and laying it off, he was exceptional, the fact that he really was on his own with no support, what was he supposed to do?? Yes, he doesn't have any pace so his game was about being in the right place at the right time, and I suggest that his stats say he was. And lets not forget, he had Josh Mac providing some great crosses for him, it hasn't  been lost on me that Dentons loss of form coincided with Josh's injury.  

I think I must have been watching a different player to the one you watched. He didn’t have the ability to pull the ball down and lay it of, all he ever did was try to flick it on (even when unmarked) usually to no one as he hadn’t looked where he was putting it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, neilstewart said:

I think I must have been watching a different player to the one you watched. He didn’t have the ability to pull the ball down and lay it of, all he ever did was try to flick it on (even when unmarked) usually to no one as he hadn’t looked where he was putting it.

So we'll agree to disagree, He wasnt the greatest player we've ever had, but he certainly gave us a lot more than some give him credit for.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, TommyH72 said:

So we'll agree to disagree, He wasnt the greatest player we've ever had, but he certainly gave us a lot more than some give him credit for.

Deffo not my type of player negatives definitely outway the positives.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

Deffo not my type of player negatives definitely outway the positives.

Fair enough Steve, but I just question why people are so negative towards someone who was our leading goalscorer for two seasons on the spin? And as Halifaxmark points out, his defensive qualities were invaluable at times. But, it's each to their own, I personally liked him, and had it not been for his goals we would not have got out of the NLN when we did and would probably still be there?? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, TommyH72 said:

Fair enough Steve, but I just question why people are so negative towards someone who was our leading goalscorer for two seasons on the spin? And as Halifaxmark points out, his defensive qualities were invaluable at times. But, it's each to their own, I personally liked him, and had it not been for his goals we would not have got out of the NLN when we did and would probably still be there?? 

Its a shame really that Tom Denton divides opinion with the fans, as he always gave his best & yes he was very good at defending set pieces. Not wanting to criticize a player who was a big part in securing promotion back to the National, his style of play was limited. Unfortunately, we have not found a more exiting way to score goals since his departure, apart from on the odd occasion. I was very optimistic of us finding an exciting change to our fortunes last season under Pete Wilds tenure. After listening to his latest interview, I hope he will give us fans an enjoyable & entertaining season. Cant wait for the season to begin once its safe.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, chrisbo61 said:

Nothing wrong with Denton, scored goals and defended well!

He simply couldn't run round.

Unfathomable.

National North player except when playing against us.

Edited by Steve Lanzarote
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm beginning to think you don't like Dents Steve? I will however point out that in his second season with Town he finished with 11 goals I believe and yet he missed a very large chunk of the season for one reason or another. He left us and went to Alfreton in NLN and scored 6 in 9 games then very quickly moved to Chesterfield where he's played 58 games scoring 14 goals, that's a 1 in 4 strike rate. That's still as comparable to anything we've had since he left. And please people, don't start going on about Rodney, different circumstance to what we are discussing here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, TommyH72 said:

I'm beginning to think you don't like Dents Steve? I will however point out that in his second season with Town he finished with 11 goals I believe and yet he missed a very large chunk of the season for one reason or another. He left us and went to Alfreton in NLN and scored 6 in 9 games then very quickly moved to Chesterfield where he's played 58 games scoring 14 goals, that's a 1 in 4 strike rate. That's still as comparable to anything we've had since he left. And please people, don't start going on about Rodney, different circumstance to what we are discussing here.

I like Denton to an extent. He's effective at non league level. However, he's too many limitations for me. He can't run and can't press defenders which hurts the rest of the team in terms of counter attacks and preventing quick oppostion attacks. Don't get me wrong, he can clearly score goals if you give him service but his overall game is lacking. Saying that, if he was more rounded, he wouldn't be playing at this level.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, AJS said:

I like Denton to an extent. He's effective at non league level. However, he's too many limitations for me. He can't run and can't press defenders which hurts the rest of the team in terms of counter attacks and preventing quick oppostion attacks. Don't get me wrong, he can clearly score goals if you give him service but his overall game is lacking. Saying that, if he was more rounded, he wouldn't be playing at this level.

Exactly!!! As I said right at the start, he limited, he's marmite, love or hate him!! But he scores goals.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TommyH72 said:

I'm beginning to think you don't like Dents Steve? I will however point out that in his second season with Town he finished with 11 goals I believe and yet he missed a very large chunk of the season for one reason or another. He left us and went to Alfreton in NLN and scored 6 in 9 games then very quickly moved to Chesterfield where he's played 58 games scoring 14 goals, that's a 1 in 4 strike rate. That's still as comparable to anything we've had since he left. And please people, don't start going on about Rodney, different circumstance to what we are discussing here.

Always remember in a preseason friendly, Kelly said in comms and Denton sprints out defence to which I responded have we signed a new player because no way can you place dents and sprint in the same sentence. She laughed and said true.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Dents STARTS and SCORES goals for a much bigger club than ours on wages much bigger than he was getting here. I think he will sleep well, even after reading some of these laughable comments. Love you big man 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...