This player was signed by one of the big 6 as a teenager for what was a club record fee. However, for one reason or another it ultimately didn't work out for him and he basically became a journeyman. He made 358 career appearance's scoring 49 goals. Teams generally expected a better than 1 in 7 return. He played Under 23 but never made a full cap. Usual Rules Please Gents.

6 minutes ago, Hands Off The Shay said:

Thought Jeffers myself.

David Bentley?

If it helps Bobby Charlton scored 49 goals for England. Wayne Rooney should never have been allowed to beat it!

2 minutes ago, Luckybounce1 said:

Adam Morgan?

Sorry guys, both wrong!! I'm not getting the Bobby Charlton - Wayne Rooney connection though? I would comment that a huge proportion of Rooneys England goals were penalties, Sir Bobby's were mostly from open play. I would be struggling to think of one!!

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, TommyH72 said:

Sorry guys, both wrong!! I'm not getting the Bobby Charlton - Wayne Rooney connection though? I would comment that a huge proportion of Rooneys England goals were penalties, Sir Bobby's were mostly from open play. I would be struggling to think of one!!

I've just had a look and Sir Bobby only scored 2 penalties for England, one against Russia in 1958 and one against Scotland in 1960, both friendly games. Wayne Rooney scored 53, 7 of them were penalties!! So from open play Charlton 47, Rooney 46. That makes me extremely happy actually. But another way of looking at it is, Rooney 120 games - 53 goals gives him a strike rate of 1 in 2.26. Charlton 106 games - 49 goals gives him a strike rate of 1 in 2.16. Just thought you might want to know??

One passage I read does say Charlton scored 3 pens, but its not listed against who or when. If he did, then they both scored 46 open play goals, but Charltons strike rate ratio would be better than Rooneys.

Edited by TommyH72
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, TommyH72 said:

This player was signed by one of the big 6 as a teenager for what was a club record fee. However, for one reason or another it ultimately didn't work out for him and he basically became a journeyman. He made 358 career appearance's scoring 49 goals. Teams generally expected a better than 1 in 7 return. He played Under 23 but never made a full cap. Usual Rules Please Gents.

Lee Bradbury?

40 minutes ago, Icke's Lizard said:

Lee Bradbury?

12 minutes ago, Walt Jabsco said:

Jermaine Pennant

21 minutes ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

Peter Marinello On his good days fantastic to watch.

Well done Steve!! Peter Marinello, but great work from some of the others.

Was signed by Arsenal as an 19yr old for £100,000.00, Arsenals biggest fee at that time. He came from Hibernian. Played 38 times scoring 3 goals before being moved on to Portsmouth. From there he moved around quite a lot. His Arsenal career appears to have been cut short due to a serious knee injury, and he apparently enjoyed the London nightlife a little to much. In total he played 51 games for Arsenal if you include the European competitions. He played Under 23 for Scotland but never won a full cap, he did however play for a Scottish League X1.

Daley played in our big cup win against Citeh. I reminded Geoff Hutt when he came to the celebration lunch.. After our goal the ball was passed back to Daley . Geoff set off like a man possessed and slid him on the muddy surface. Daley dragged the ball back and Geoff missed him by miles.

5 hours ago, TommyH72 said:

Was signed by Arsenal as an 19yr old for £100,000.00, Arsenals biggest fee at that time. He came from Hibernian. Played 38 times scoring 3 goals before being moved on to Portsmouth. From there he moved around quite a lot. His Arsenal career appears to have been cut short due to a serious knee injury, and he apparently enjoyed the London nightlife a little to much. In total he played 51 games for Arsenal if you include the European competitions. He played Under 23 for Scotland but never won a full cap, he did however play for a Scottish League X1.

I wonder if Charlie Nicholas modeled himself on him? 

• Like 1