Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I was just reading the announcements that Town put out last week relating to the players that have now departed Town. Now I'm probably way off the mark, but they all say the same thing, "#### has decided not to accept the new terms". I can only assume that they all must have had better offers from other clubs, but thats not really the way it reads. I cant imagine that any player, especially at the moment would quit a club unless he had somewhere else already agreed. Which is really disappointing, although non of them are world beaters there were at least 3 I think we should have hung onto, and thats worrying if we are not competing terms for players we all ready have. The only other thing suggests moving nearer home but for the same money or whatever. Duckworth not necessarily gone for more money, but nearer home which means no travelling costs etc. Just makes me wonder what standard our recruiting is going to be.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Greggs said:

Cameron King cited moving closer to home as a reason and I suspect that is the same for Staunton and Silva as well. Uncertain times and players want to be nearer family. 

 

But I would have thought they must have agreed terms with other clubs or they are effectively making themselves unemployed. And a jobs a job at the end of the day.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TommyH72 said:

But I would have thought they must have agreed terms with other clubs or they are effectively making themselves unemployed. And a jobs a job at the end of the day.

Well Silva has in Sutton. King shouldn't find any issues at this level. Staunton might still have links at Woking to go back there. 

Time will tell where some will end up. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TommyH72 said:

But I would have thought they must have agreed terms with other clubs or they are effectively making themselves unemployed. And a jobs a job at the end of the day.

Sho-Silva clearly had offers as he’s signed for Sutton. King and Staunton won’t be short of offers. Presume Cooper must have a better offer elsewhere too. They wouldn’t leave us if they didn’t have anyone else interested 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TommyH72 said:

But I would have thought they must have agreed terms with other clubs or they are effectively making themselves unemployed. And a jobs a job at the end of the day.

Which they will of done (agreed terms)

Its fair enough at this level of football and who’s to say that some Southern based clubs haven’t got Northern players that want to return nearer home.

All horses for courses really.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Grayski said:

Which they will of done (agreed terms)

Its fair enough at this level of football and who’s to say that some Southern based clubs haven’t got Northern players that want to return nearer home.

All horses for courses really.

i.e. Jamie Allen. That´s how we signed him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

i.e. Jamie Allen. That´s how we signed him.

He needs a change of system to get the best out of him. Needs to be played out wide. Certainly isn't a striker. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I would presume that it goes something like this Tommy:

End of season, player is out of contract - i.e a free agent

Free agent means he is open to offers, including from his previous employer

If said Free Agent accepts terms from his previous club then he is now a contracted player

A contracted player can only move to another club or accept another offer subject to a transfer fee, effectively limiting their options

Therefore, it is better for a Free Agent to not accept term from his previous employer, unless these are time limited and no other contract elsewhere has been offered. If the Free Agent thinks, or his agent thinks, he can get an offer of a contract in the near future because they consider him to be in demand then it is a calculated risk to not accept the offer from the previous employer, but it retains his free agent status, which may be more attractive to potential employers.

Much the same as for many contractors, the fact you can start at short notice is often a deciding factor.   

So it could well be the case that the club is making attractive offers, but the players are convinced, or have been convinced, that there is a pot of gold somewhere else to be had. Alternatively, it may well be the case that for the Southern based players the expenses they have to absorb to play for a Northern based team are cancelled out by moving to a team nearer to where they actually live, i.e same wages but less overheads, and probably a better family life.

Taking those factors into account it would be easy to see why some of the players have jumped ship.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Greggs said:

He needs a change of system to get the best out of him. Needs to be played out wide. Certainly isn't a striker. 

agree! hes alot better out wide..good player when on song

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it more beneficial to a player's Agent for the player to sign a new contract with the players with a new club rather than his current club ?

Silva reported in his interview that the 'dressing room' was one of the best he had been involved with so I suspect relocation could be significant in a number of our players not resigning.

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, rdj said:

Is it more beneficial to a player's Agent for the player to sign a new contract with the players with a new club rather than his current club ?

Silva reported in his interview that the 'dressing room' was one of the best he had been involved with so I suspect relocation could be significant in a number of our players not resigning.

One would imagine the "finders" fee for an agent for getting a new contract rather than an extension to a previous contract would be more lucrative.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Redcard said:

PW said talks going well and then they will move onto discussing money. Then players quit the club or don’t sign. It’s a big problem when you don’t pay the going rate.

How do you know we are not paying the going rate?

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, chrisbo61 said:

How do you know we are not paying the going rate?

Because DB & Manager have to mention the lowest budget in the league every interview,  but I don´t think that will be a problem with the type of young players we are going for.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Ash said:

Tobi Sho Silva has moved back to his native London

Cameron King has said he wants to move closer to home.

Duckworth is rumoured to be joining his hometown York City

MacDonald has moved back to the North East

Staunton rumoured to be moving closer to home.

Take football out of the equation and just maybe these lads have realised how much time with friends and family means when it is taken away from you like it has in this pandemic. I have and my family are 10 minutes away.

It doesn’t mean they didn’t enjoy their time here, were offered poor contracts or fell out with the manager but maybe just maybe they just want to move back a little closer to family and friends in these uncertain times.

I think my initial point was missed really!! What I was getting at was the way in which the club announced the players leaving as being "#### has decided not to accept new terms". What I was getting at, and its not a criticism, is yes, the players chose not to accept our new terms, but the truth is they had accepted terms elsewhere, then why not just say that. Cant blame them, they owe us nothing in real terms, but as I said in an earlier thread, I cant see anyone leaving a job without another job to go to. The players will have looked for clubs closer to home if that was their main issue, but football is a Journeyman career, some like Allen didnt take to it, but thats the way it is. As for MacDonald, he was pushed so thats different circumstances, he's lucky to have got a place at Hartlepool near to his home, win win for him.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is where the agent's role comes into play. Other clubs cannot enter into discussions directly with a player without going through the club who has his contract, however, they can talk to his agent, who is not under contract to the current club. However, if the current contract lapses then the players are free to go where they please, and as we have all said there is more than money to be factored into the equation, especially in view of the CV-19 complications. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

At this moment in time there are no games no money coming into any clubs so why would clubs in our League be signing players unless it’s a Stockport.With all these Local lockdown rules that will probably make us even more unattractive to sign for .We will have a team when we do eventually start playing again how good it will be remains to see it might be better than what people think.I think when you watch Skysports and Skysports News it actually gives a false impression of how things stand in the real world when you see that transfer bar at the bottom of the page it makes everything look like there are no problems in Football.I reckon as many 30 clubs could bust outside the bubble of the Premier League and many more Non League sides teams have to be very careful when they spend there money if things continue like they are doing it will be a disaster.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TommyH72 said:

I think my initial point was missed really!! What I was getting at was the way in which the club announced the players leaving as being "#### has decided not to accept new terms". What I was getting at, and its not a criticism, is yes, the players chose not to accept our new terms, but the truth is they had accepted terms elsewhere, then why not just say that. Cant blame them, they owe us nothing in real terms, but as I said in an earlier thread, I cant see anyone leaving a job without another job to go to. The players will have looked for clubs closer to home if that was their main issue, but football is a Journeyman career, some like Allen didnt take to it, but thats the way it is. As for MacDonald, he was pushed so thats different circumstances, he's lucky to have got a place at Hartlepool near to his home, win win for him.

I guess that is in part to distinguish between players that we let go because we didn't want them anymore so didn't offer them a contract, and the players that we wanted to keep and did offer a contract to them, but they chose to turn it down.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...