• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Or maybe multiple people did? The most bargain basement pissing contest of all time

Fullartons  football wasn't  pretty to watch but he did move the club forward. It was him who badgered our chairman in to getting the training facilities  it was him who then brought them up to t

Heath knows what works and gets results on a consistent basis. His record, like it or not, stands with the best of them at Non League level.

9 minutes ago, Flea said:

This is the key here. 

When it hasn't worked, PW hasn't hidden behind "Pyramid of emotions", but instead has said so. He has on several occasions spoken with fans at away games explaining his game plans, his reasonings for using certain players and his ideas. He engages not just with the fans, but also the players in a positive manner so that everyone is buying into what the vision is. 

As such, when we get a total flop of a performance, yeah its not nice to stomach, but you can at least appreciate the idea and thinking that went into it. A few times last season PW got criticism for playing a certain player or a certain way, however when asked about it at games he gave his reasonings for doing so - and the reasonings were always sound. 

I can't recall which away game it was, but there was one where he had started with TSS and dropped Redshaw and Allen to the bench. When asked he said the game plan was to tire out the oppositions midfield and that a certain player of theirs was a concern of nullifying Allen/Redshaw. The plan was to target that player to tire him out, get him subbed or so knackard that he couldn't go on, then sub on Redshaw and Allen to run the show. An hour into the game that player is blowing out of his arse and Redshaw/Allen come on. 

I think we got screwed in that game by a bad ref call or a deflection and ended up losing, but it was due to bad luck rather than bad planning. He got dogs abuse for benching Redshaw, however having been told his game plan before hand and seeing the impact both made when they came on and how it nullified the opposition player, we could see exactly what the game plan and intention was. We were going for the win, not to make up numbers. 

Were all the performances great last season? No, but it was a huge marked improvement on the year before. It was more fun going to games, we expressed ourselves as a team well and actually attempted to win. 

The info you've given your pist is exactlt the sort of thing most fans in the stands don't know. The manager will know their side inside and out and will try and pick a team to play a certain way for a reason. 

Then you get crap made up conspiracy theories that the manager and the player have had a fall out etc. 

Nice to have an open and honest manager at The Shay. 

24 minutes ago, Erik Everhard said:

The info you've given your pist is exactlt the sort of thing most fans in the stands don't know. The manager will know their side inside and out and will try and pick a team to play a certain way for a reason. 

Then you get crap made up conspiracy theories that the manager and the player have had a fall out etc. 

Nice to have an open and honest manager at The Shay. 

On the flip, heres a story about JF -

We played away at Barnet and about 30 mins before kick off we finally got the team sheet. On it we had named six loan players.

I immediately went to the front of the stand and called over JF’s assistant to point out we can only have 5 named. He looked confused and basically told me I was wrong. I then messaged someone at the club asking them to double check and they came back 5 mins later to say I was right and that we should only have 5 loan players listed. The person I contacted had to ring up JF / a town rep at Barnet, and tell him to change the team sheet. We ended up submitting a new team sheet with one less sub so we didn’t fall foul of the rules as a result. 

Not only would JF refuse to admit he made a mistake, but he wouldn’t tell any away fan what the team was even ten mins before kick off. The players quite simply didn’t look like they trusted or bought into him.

Edited by Flea
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Flea said:

We played away at Barnet and about 30 mins before kick off we finally got the team sheet. On it we had named six loan players.

I immediately went to the front of the stand and called over JF’s assistant to point out we can only have 5 named. He looked confused and basically told me I was wrong. I then messaged someone at the club asking them to double check and they came back 5 mins later to say I was right and that we should only have 5 loan players listed. The person I contacted had to ring up JF / a town rep at Barnet, and tell him to change the team sheet. We ended up submitting a new team sheet with one less sub so we didn’t fall foul of the rules as a result. 

Not only would JF refuse to admit he made a mistake, but he wouldn’t tell any away fan what the team was even ten mins before kick off. The players quite simply didn’t look like they trusted or bought into him.

If it wasn’t for you mentioning this Flea we may have been docked points and relegated :o

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Flea said:

Blimey. Close call.

I have to point out by a 3rd party at the club that Flea did indeed contact the club on the day as did a couple of other fans. I did not have the number of anyone there so I contacted Scot who in turn phoned JF who was 1st 2nd 3rd is immaterial what stood out to me at the time was this club badly needed to be closer to the fan and when Louise requested that the debate be taken down from our forum I strongly objected. I followed that up with a letter to the club pointing out that if it was not for the fans they would not only have been deducted 3 points they would not have a club and that they needed to communicate with them. Something that did not happen until PW arrived.