On 8/6/2020 at 11:46 PM, Erik Everhard said:

That's where the problem lies and it trickles all the way down to our level. 

If you're getting a grand a week to stay fit and play the game you love you are a very lucky man. 

I wouldn't have said so, yes it's reasonable money but imagine being forced to stop doing your chosen profession at age 35/36

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Or maybe multiple people did? The most bargain basement pissing contest of all time

Fullartons  football wasn't  pretty to watch but he did move the club forward. It was him who badgered our chairman in to getting the training facilities  it was him who then brought them up to t

Heath knows what works and gets results on a consistent basis. His record, like it or not, stands with the best of them at Non League level.

4 minutes ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

The one big thing that worries me is he says he has a spread sheet full of players, have they seen them as we still have no scouts.

Whilst having no scouts is far from ideal, I suspect PW will be attending games when we aren’t playing and will probably have footage he can look at. 

15 minutes ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

The one big thing that worries me is he says he has a spread sheet full of players, have they seen them as we still have no scouts.

It is a concern for me too, if PW has genuine contacts within the game he should be able to use freelance scouts, they attend matches at the Shay regularly & must have dossiers on players even if they are not considered to be above National level.

2 hours ago, Roy Race said:

It is a concern for me too, if PW has genuine contacts within the game he should be able to use freelance scouts, they attend matches at the Shay regularly & must have dossiers on players even if they are not considered to be above National level.

You can get a programme which gives you a breakdown each week of non league players it is 135pounds a month JF used to get it.

13 minutes ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

You can get a programme which gives you a breakdown each week of non league players it is 135pounds a month JF used to get it.

Not too difficult to get a broad view of players then. The tricky bit is personality & character profiles, will they gel in the dressing room, will they run a mile from a tackle etc. Only insider knowledge gets you that.

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

Waste of money then! :D

I'm sure Wild will be able to get footage of our level and many below. I think scouts will be come a thing if the past for 1st teamers.

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, greygoose said:

And the fact they rejected us gives a clue how our budget stands.

There were other factors like location. If Cooper and TSS can find clubs nearer to home who will pay the same or more then it's a no brainer. 

6 minutes ago, themanwhowasntthere said:

True to form, Billy Heath has signed ‘giant’ Jake Day from Tadcaster Albion for Alfreton.

https://www.thenationalleague.org.uk/clubs-get-busy-as-squad-rebuilds-really-get-going-63003

Apparently Heath was 'looking at him a few seasons ago'. Makes you wonder if that was when Heath was at Halifax.

He's scored a few goals. Perhaps Heath has beaten Wild to his signature!

3 hours ago, Flea said:

Heath knows what works and gets results on a consistent basis. His record, like it or not, stands with the best of them at Non League level.

Correct. Never ever got the plaudits he deserved 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Flea said:

A bit like Neil Warnock in terms of the Championship, but he could not, cannot, do the same in the PL

8 minutes ago, ITMAN said:

A bit like Neil Warnock in terms of the Championship, but he could not, cannot, do the same in the PL

Correct. Was well on the way to taking us back down. His refusal to believe his style had stopped working in this league cost him his job. 

10 minutes ago, Greggs said:

Correct. Was well on the way to taking us back down. His refusal to believe his style had stopped working in this league cost him his job. 

Greggs, as you rightly say, there are a number of managers out there who are consistently good at a certain level of the football pyramid, but their tactical nous and ability to work with better class players is limited. They very rarely rise above the standard they survive at. With younger managers this can sometimes be excused as they are on a journey, much like PW, but seasoned managers who have been around for sometime in non-league football are usually still there for a reason. 

17 minutes ago, Wilder Bollox said:

His brand of football could have worked in this league but he made it clear early on that he didn't like all travelling and time commitment . The football was awful to watch but so was Fullarton's, so is much of Wild's

His brand of football wasn't working in this league. If it was he wouldn't have been sacked surely 

Edited by Greggs
3 hours ago, Greggs said:

It could also be the success he got in his first year cost him his job. Let's not forget he was given a two year remit to get us promoted and did it in one. 

We didn't look dead in the water with him in the National, although we weren't flying. I think its unfair to blame him on us going down considering the width of the post eventually cost us our spot - and we had deluded Daz in for 10 games or so and Harvey who refused to strengthen. 

It's a results business at the end of the day and Heath went on a run of poor ones and that is what cost him. I personally feel he probably wouldn't have been our long term manager like Aspin was for years, however I do feel he was probably axed a tad too soon. Non of those that replace him that season did a better job. 

3 minutes ago, Flea said:

It could also be the success he got in his first year cost him his job. Let's not forget he was given a two year remit to get us promoted and did it in one. 

We didn't look dead in the water with him in the National, although we weren't flying. I think its unfair to blame him on us going down considering the width of the post eventually cost us our spot - and we had deluded Daz in for 10 games or so and Harvey who refused to strengthen. 

It's a results business at the end of the day and Heath went on a run of poor ones and that is what cost him. I personally feel he probably wouldn't have been our long term manager like Aspin was for years, however I do feel he was probably axed a tad too soon. Non of those that replace him that season did a better job. 

The signing of Collins made a big difference. 

3 hours ago, Wilder Bollox said:

His brand of football could have worked in this league but he made it clear early on that he didn't like all travelling and time commitment . The football was awful to watch but so was Fullarton's, so is much of Wild's

I dont get this " awful to watch", if my team is winning games i dont care what tactics we use or how we play. Aslong as we get 3 points that's what entertains me

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, halifaxmark said:

I dont get this " awful to watch", if my team is winning games i dont care what tactics we use or how we play. Aslong as we get 3 points that's what entertains me

Winning does make watching crap more palatable :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
58 minutes ago, halifaxmark said:

But those 3 points are often elusive so we might as well watch good football and lose as bad football and lose . I'm the worlds biggest advocate of a win is all that matters