Past big name signings

Read a lot of rubbish posted on here regarding the importance of having big name signings to boost season ticket sales 

with comments like I won’t buy a season ticket sale until I see who we signed ... 

so it got me thinking who have ever been our big name signings .. and most importantly did it work out 

I suppose our biggest name signing was Jimmy Case ... and what a failure that was.. 

our most expensive was Chris Tate ... another failure 

Jimmy Lawson .. perhaps .. at least I liked him as a player gave a 110% 

anybody else got big name signings ... especially those who actually worked.. 

nick 

1 minute ago, Nick said:

Read a lot of rubbish posted on here regarding the importance of having big name signings to boost season ticket sales 

with comments like I won’t buy a season ticket sale until I see who we signed ... 

so it got me thinking who have ever been our big name signings .. and most importantly did it work out 

I suppose our biggest name signing was Jimmy Case ... and what a failure that was.. 

our most expensive was Chris Tate ... another failure 

Jimmy Lawson .. perhaps .. at least I liked him as a player gave a 110% 

anybody else got big name signings ... especially those who actually worked.. 

nick 

Hate big name signings only come to us to get another season or so out of their career and we have no chance of making money out of the them another one Mark (Pancho) Pearson.

• Like 1

I haven't got a season ticket.

Look the facts are these. If you have enough money to splash out £300 when we only have 4 contracted players (1 being a youth player) then good for you. 

But some of us do not. We have seen Brown put on ths transfer list, king leave. And new contracts offered to some let's say questionable players. 

We could say well it's not supporting the club etc but it's a lot of money and what has happened so far has been questionable in many peoples books 

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, Greggs said:

I haven't got a season ticket.

Look the facts are these. If you have enough money to splash out £300 when we only have 4 contracted players (1 being a youth player) then good for you. 

But some of us do not. We have seen Brown put on ths transfer list, king leave. And new contracts offered to some let's say questionable players. 

We could say well it's not supporting the club etc but it's a lot of money and what has happened so far has been questionable in many peoples books 

Well we are doing better than last year then 

normally you would have little idea what was going on as little would be communicated .. now it’s communicated on an ongoing basis and you don’t like it .. 

we finished our season two weeks ago..other clubs finished theirs months ago..  it’s over two months to the start of next season .. 

1 hour ago, Icke's Lizard said:

Kingsley James commanded a fee and had high hopes about him. Awful. 

So much excitement at the time he joined. I'm at a loss as to how he could have been billed so great, been in the England C side as one of the better players than turn in to the useless effortless mercenary we had. 

He's a very lucky boy that Lenighan and Odelusi were paired together as otherwise his and Wroe's "partnership" would probably go down as the worst midfield pairing we have ever had. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Icke's Lizard said:

Kingsley James commanded a fee and had high hopes about him. Awful. 

There were plenty on here drooling over him and a few saying he’s a far better player than Matty Pearson there careers certainly went in opposite directions .Pearson the heart of a Lion and James a heart the size of a Pea.

Edited by Forever a Shayman
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Nick said:

Well we are doing better than last year then 

normally you would have little idea what was going on as little would be communicated .. now it’s communicated on an ongoing basis and you don’t like it .. 

we finished our season two weeks ago..other clubs finished theirs months ago..  it’s over two months to the start of next season .. 

I'm not saying the communication isn't great In comparison it is I can agree there. 

I never said I didn't like it  

What I did say is you cant expect people to shell out £300 when we have 4 players

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Greggs said:

I'm not saying the communication isn't great In comparison it is I can agree there. 

I never said I didn't like it  

What I did say is you cant expect people to shell out £300 when we have 4 players

Oh god - not the "how can they expect us to buy a season ticket without signing big name players" argument again.

1) When have we ever started a season without a full squad - i.e. we aren't going to still have 4 players come the first game are we

2) When have we ever made a signing that genuinely, genuinely excited people

If you want to support a team that has 90% of their squad in place 8 weeks before the season starts, and/or a club that signs people that genuinely excite you - I suggest you find another club, cos it ain't and never will be Halifax Town.

20 minutes ago, greg45 said:

Oh god - not the "how can they expect us to buy a season ticket without signing big name players" argument again.

1) When have we ever started a season without a full squad - i.e. we aren't going to still have 4 players come the first game are we

If you want to support a team that has 90% of their squad in place 8 weeks before the season starts, and/or a club that signs people that genuinely excite you - I suggest you find another club, cos it ain't and never will be Halifax Town.

I get what you're trying to say, but tbh bringing Rodney back did a really good job of exciting people

24 minutes ago, greg45 said:

1. Pretty much last season. Still getting people signed on. Until and after the first game of the season. 

There's nothing wrong with either approach. If you want to just throw money around go for it. 

I'll wait like I do every season. 

Since when was Kilcline a big name signing? He's a big name don't get me wrong, but did we even know he'd signed until the day before his first game, which was already a few games into the season.

Jamie Paterson re-signing in pre-season would have had a much bigger impact on season ticket sales I'm sure.

1 hour ago, Greggs said:

1. Pretty much last season. Still getting people signed on. Until and after the first game of the season. 

There's nothing wrong with either approach. If you want to just throw money around go for it. 

I'll wait like I do every season. 

Not had a season ticket in years - and not saying you should go out and buy one. Just wonder what the tipping point is that would make you buy one, as it’s very unlikely either of the scenarios I suggested will happen!

Would love it to happen one day but hey we can but dream.

Edited by greg45
2 hours ago, Hoddie said:

Since when was Kilcline a big name signing? He's a big name don't get me wrong, but did we even know he'd signed until the day before his first game, which was already a few games into the season.

Jamie Paterson re-signing in pre-season would have had a much bigger impact on season ticket sales I'm sure.

Peter Jackson was the 'reasonably big' signing . Kilcline replaced Jackson so didn't influence season ticket sales but did fill a potential void

1 hour ago, greg45 said:

Not had a season ticket in years - and not saying you should go out and buy one. Just wonder what the tipping point is that would make you buy one, as it’s very unlikely either of the scenarios I suggested will happen!

Would love it to happen one day but hey we can but dream.

Knowing at what point people are going to be allowed into the grounds to watch games. I'm not buying a ST thats going to sit in the cupboard till god knows when!!

• Like 1