• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Would not be surprised to see Ducky back at Hartlepool. He IMO will be the biggest miss but yet again the loyalty shown by our club has not been repaid by a player.

Some people are really hard to please. ‘Misses a few headers’, indeed. Staunton plays (played) for Halifax Town, not Liverpool. Anyone who saw him work his proverbials off, body on the line, etc. at O

On reflection after digesting the retained list I am of the opinion various decisions on the list were made for both squad flexibility and financial reasons. Redshaw showed occasional glimpses of tr

Posted Images

Brown will be a huge loss but credit to Wild, the club and his plans are bigger than any player.  Tough decision for him to make.

Redshaw on his day was very good but how many of those days did we see? He failed to deliver time after time and to be honest he hasn't looked interested for a long time.

Thought TSS might have been released but can't fault his heart if nothing else.  OK as a second/third choice striker.

Otherwisetl the list looks about right.  Obviously a few of the players offered contracts will leave too.  Hope we get some height in the team and some athleticism. 

• Like 4

I have faith in Pete Wild and therefore support his retained list, watching Harrogate v BHW yesterday highlighted in my opinion that the level of fitness was better than displayed by Town when we played BHW , to lose Brown is a pity but at his age and ability level his commitments outside football appear to take precedence, certainly I can understand that a fitter Town is required.

It has been stated that Town have played some dire football “ last “ season but the football at town’s level is dire , just look at yesterday’s game where the only “ class “ was shown by a 20 year old on loan from Sunderland who will go on to better things.

Our current team achieved a play off spot, to my mind the trick now is not the players whom Wild has retained it is the additions that Wild brings in , that’s how I would suggest he is judged.

• Like 2
44 minutes ago, ashy1966 said:

The lockdown got us into the play offs. If the season had been fully completed? There is no way we would have made them. 

Because you’re always looking for the negative. 3 points in the play offs and a game in hand would suggest otherwise. Anyway on to next season

3 hours ago, eddie said:

I'm shocked I thought you was, what is your job to give you so much knowledge of football and fitness

I am extremely lucky because I was born a natutal athlete. Ok, I still like to go for a 10 mile run, 30 mile bike ride,  do a slalom kayak course and then a 100 press ups before breakfast, just for the fun of it. 

I'm not sure but I have a feeling that's why people call me Adonis? 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ashy1966 said:

The lockdown got us into the play offs. If the season had been fully completed? There is no way we would have made them. 

You cant really say that Ashy1966. As we all know football is a very strange animal, it can turn in an instant. As Cloughie used to say, "it only takes a second to score a goal", and clubs whole seasons have completely turned around in that 1 second. But whether we would or not is really immaterial, I wasnt in favour of the playoffs anyway, I went on record as opting to just promote Barrow as Champions and Harrogate as runners up, based on the table as it stood on March 14th when the season ended. And now we look at the playoff final and its Harrogate v Notts County, 2nd & 3rd respectively. And I genuinely think it will go Harrogate's way. Which in essence will mean that all the expense of these pointless games will have been for nothing except stressing everyone out.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, never_shay_die said:

Brown will be a huge loss but credit to Wild, the club and his plans are bigger than any player.  Tough decision for him to make.

Redshaw on his day was very good but how many of those days did we see? He failed to deliver time after time and to be honest he hasn't looked interested for a long time.

Thought TSS might have been released but can't fault his heart if nothing else.  OK as a second/third choice striker.

Otherwisetl the list looks about right.  Obviously a few of the players offered contracts will leave too.  Hope we get some height in the team and some athleticism. 

The biggest loss for me is Redshaw. I know Browny will be missed, he's cemented his place in the Town history books and his passion and commitment are something of a rare quality these days. Maybe, if no one comes in for him we may see him play for Town again albeit as a bit part player, who knows? But for me Redshaw was the class that we should be looking to recruit not let go. I can only think it's one of two things. :- His injuries are not clearing up, the club have been very generous to him when no one else would give him a chance or B:- His wage demands are out of line with the clubs payment strategy. I cant say I agree with the comment about him not being interested, I never saw that personally. I did see frustration, much like Kosy but without the petulance. But looking at his career stats his goal scoring record stands up very well, he is a consistent 1 in 3 striker, as he was for us!! Trying desperately not to be offensive to any of the players he was playing with I found myself looking at him and thinking he was way ahead of the others. His train of thought was faster, his movement quicker and this can leave players looking rather silly when the others around them are not anticipating a through ball or a Vardy like run. If you think back to when we had Michael Collins, there were similar instances, he was desperate for players around him to  make the runs so he could play them in, or give him the ball so he could splay a pass, but they are not of the same quality. I remember Chris Waddle giving an interview once after he left Burnley as manager, and he explained in detail how he woke up one morning and it suddenly dawned on him why the team was struggling when he was laying out master plans of footballing genius. With no disrespect to the players he had, it occured to him that they just werent capable of doing what he was asking of them, he'd been used to Spurs, Newcastle, Marseille. And he just assumed Pro footballers could, with coaching adapt to his train of thought. And I think thats kind of where players like Redshaw find themselves. I'm not suggesting that he's a world class world beater, but I personally think we should have kept him and built around him, obviously fitness being the main criteria.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, TommyH72 said:

The biggest loss for me is Redshaw. I know Browny will be missed, he's cemented his place in the Town history books and his passion and commitment are something of a rare quality these days. Maybe, if no one comes in for him we may see him play for Town again albeit as a bit part player, who knows? But for me Redshaw was the class that we should be looking to recruit not let go. I can only think it's one of two things. :- His injuries are not clearing up, the club have been very generous to him when no one else would give him a chance or B:- His wage demands are out of line with the clubs payment strategy. I cant say I agree with the comment about him not being interested, I never saw that personally. I did see frustration, much like Kosy but without the petulance. But looking at his career stats his goal scoring record stands up very well, he is a consistent 1 in 3 striker, as he was for us!! Trying desperately not to be offensive to any of the players he was playing with I found myself looking at him and thinking he was way ahead of the others. His train of thought was faster, his movement quicker and this can leave players looking rather silly when the others around them are not anticipating a through ball or a Vardy like run. If you think back to when we had Michael Collins, there were similar instances, he was desperate for players around him to  make the runs so he could play them in, or give him the ball so he could splay a pass, but they are not of the same quality. I remember Chris Waddle giving an interview once after he left Burnley as manager, and he explained in detail how he woke up one morning and it suddenly dawned on him why the team was struggling when he was laying out master plans of footballing genius. With no disrespect to the players he had, it occured to him that they just werent capable of doing what he was asking of them, he'd been used to Spurs, Newcastle, Marseille. And he just assumed Pro footballers could, with coaching adapt to his train of thought. And I think thats kind of where players like Redshaw find themselves. I'm not suggesting that he's a world class world beater, but I personally think we should have kept him and built around him, obviously fitness being the main criteria.

His movement and intelligence were as good as anyone I've seen in a long time, which is the reason why he's done so well given his size. 

(Kosy was not in the same league...his often wayward decision making and end product meant he flattered to deceive.  Combined with his disciplinary, it was no loss at all when he went as far as I was concerned).

But can only base my opinion on what I saw.  His goals all came in that promising start he had.  He didn't look the same player from the end of January onwards. 

I know the wages we paid him were below what he ideally wanted which probably was a factor, but being left out of the starting line up vs BW meant the writing was on the wall.  Would have been happy to keep him based on his pre-injury goal record and see if PW could get the best out of him, but I'm not distraught that he has left.

Edited by never_shay_die
  • Like 1
22 minutes ago, TommyH72 said:

Fully agree regarding Redshaw. He's a smart footballer that's played at a higher level. The people he was playing with simply were not as smart and didn't have the capability to find his runs or put the right ball in to the box. 

I feel we might regret this one. We will try so hard to find a 20 goal a season striker this summer and in my view we have just let one go. 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, never_shay_die said:

His movement and intelligence were as good as anyone I've seen in a long time, which is the reason why he's done so well given his size. 

(Kosy was not in the same league...his often wayward decision making and end product meant he flattered to deceive.  Combined with his disciplinary, it was no loss at all when he went as far as I was concerned).

But can only base my opinion on what I saw.  His goals all came in that promising start he had.  He didn't look the same player from the end of January onwards. 

I know the wages we paid him were below what he ideally wanted which probably was a factor, but being left out of the starting line up vs BW meant the writing was on the wall.  Would have been happy to keep him based on his pre-injury goal record and see if PW could get the best out of him, but I'm not distraught that he has left.

I'm well documented on Kosy, loved him and would have him back in a heartbeat. But thats not going to happen. I think your right r.e. BW game, that was exactly my thought when I seen the team sheet. I can only think it's this long term injury thats looking like it's going to cost him his career now. It will be interesting to see if any other clubs show interest in him. There was one particular game at the Shay when he was scythed down by a defender, very early in the game and he struggled after that, and he didnt even get a free kick!! He had been a regular starter and playing well. I think it was the Bromley game, he was subbed and after that wasnt a regular starter and just wasnt the same player that started for us in January.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, Bill Atkins said:

I like Staunton versatility but last season proved he is not a long term answer at centre back.

Hopefully Staunton can work on getting his attacking headers just under the crossbar instead of just over it. Could have been well into double figures last season.

• Like 1

Mixed feelings with Redshaw. Started well and looked like he was going to kill it. He went on a dry patch and never really recovered.

He COULD have been a top goal scorer with a full pre season under his belt but it’s all ifs and buts. Had he been on a cheaper wage I suspect we may have kept him. 

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, AJS said:

Mixed feelings with Redshaw. Started well and looked like he was going to kill it. He went on a dry patch and never really recovered.

He COULD have been a top goal scorer with a full pre season under his belt but it’s all ifs and buts. Had he been on a cheaper wage I suspect we may have kept him. 

Just don’t think Redshaw was ever committed  to playing for us .. we were a stepping stone for him to move on somewhere else 

I want someone who really wants to play ., will 100 percent every game 

Redshaw was good when he could be bothered he usually was just not bothered 

2 hours ago, Erik Everhard said:

I am extremely lucky because I was born a natutal athlete. Ok, I still like to go for a 10 mile run, 30 mile bike ride,  do a slalom kayak course and then a 100 press ups before breakfast, just for the fun of it. 

I'm not sure but I have a feeling that's why people call me Adonis? 

A what?