5 minutes ago, Shaymen2008 said:

I would have kept four players from the retained list and added Brown (may still be with us if no one comes in for him). Other than that the rest of them need to show major improvement along with some really great signings from a limited budget to maintain momentum as a club on the up.

Definitely a make or break season for the gaffer on that news.

Look I know at times after the good start that we faltered a bit. But we were a small squad. But are people forgetting that with this squad we were top half the entire season and barely even dropped out of the playoffs. Give some respect to the players as to what theY achieved last season. 

Edited by shaymen down under
  • Like 2
  • Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Would not be surprised to see Ducky back at Hartlepool. He IMO will be the biggest miss but yet again the loyalty shown by our club has not been repaid by a player.

Some people are really hard to please. ‘Misses a few headers’, indeed. Staunton plays (played) for Halifax Town, not Liverpool. Anyone who saw him work his proverbials off, body on the line, etc. at O

On reflection after digesting the retained list I am of the opinion various decisions on the list were made for both squad flexibility and financial reasons. Redshaw showed occasional glimpses of tr

Posted Images

Think it’s a decent retained list ., but as always it’s about who he brings in .. 

some on here would dump 25 players every year .. 

min our conference winning team how many came from the side that almost got us relegated.. 

just need a few good signings 

43 minutes ago, Riders of Rohan said:

Let’s look at this in reverse. Bring in four good players in the right positions and we have a good squad.

Pack Centre half if Browny goes.

Two strikers 

An experienced midfield player.

Then a loanee  from a top club

Its called building on a successful season.

This idea that you move out 12 and get another 12 better has in my opinion never worked for Halifax Town.

We need at least another 7 signings

It's been said on a few occasions that we have a problem at centreback when faced with pace. In deciding his retained list perhaps it was a straight choice between Brown and Clark so he can bring a faster centreback in. Clark seems a better prospect with injuries and reading the game.

31 minutes ago, AJS said:

Well I’m not happy with the retained list but based on what we have left my predictions signing wise will be:

Gk to replace Appleyard

CB to replace Brown

LB to replace JBW

CM to replace Nolan

3 Wingers/Strikers to replace Rodney/Redshaw/MacDonald

Dont need another right back to replace Hanson as we’ve got Jeff King and Maher who can cover there

Staunton can go back to centre half if need be. Get players in there rightful position, s. Free up space for another midfielder coming in. 

Jeff King, Danny Williams, Charlie Cooper & TSS should have all been released. If Wild wants to close the gap keeping these 4. Will certainly make it harder. 

• Like 1
Just now, ashy1966 said:

Staunton can go back to centre half if need be. Get players in there rightful position, s. Free up space for another midfielder coming in. 

Jeff King, Danny Williams, Charlie Cooper & TSS should have all been released. If Wild wants to close the gap keeping these 4. Will certainly make it harder. 

Who's going to head the ball out then if Staunton becomes your centre half?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Shaymus said:

Who's going to head the ball out then if Staunton becomes your centre half?

Wasnt that his position when he was an England C International? Surely he knows how to head a football. Brown was great at heading a football, yet had no speed & his distribution was poor. Very difficult to find a complete centre half at this level. 

• Like 1

I wonder who our big earners are? Matty Brown must be one of them. Perhaps Browny doesn't want to travel ans train an extra day a week for the same money? Who knows. 

But out of the other players that have left I would think Hanso. Was probably on a decent screw, and maybe Redshaw? Josh Mc was perhaps on a decent wage seeing as he signed a 3 year deal? 

So, who do we need IF all the players that jave been offered deals accept? 

A recognised first choice left back. 

2 Tall mobile centre halves. 

A decent holding midfielder who can bring the ball down and spray pasees, and read the game and tackle. He would ideally be our captain.

A creative, attacking midfielder. We need another midfielder to either play alongside Cam King, to put him under pressure or to take his place. 

Then we need at least 2 strikers. One would be able to play out wide when needed. 

This is where the budget questions come up again. I wouldn't have kept Cooper. Cooper would have gone and that would have freed up some mkre cash to spend on the holding midfielder. If Allen stays then I hope he's on one of the lower wages. He is a bit part, back up player. 

Williams is a back up left back. 

Maher is a good utility player and I like his atritude. 

Staunton needs an experienced holdibg midfielder to bring him through. Big season for him, if he stays. 

TSS I hope he stays because he was a right hand full against Boramwood and if we sign a decent striker to play alongside and he improves his fitness then he could be a 20 goal striker. 

Cam King. Not sure about that one. A briliant player at this leveel but we need him to play nearly every game and dominate the other side. He should score no less than 7/10 a game and then go onto sign for a Championship club for £200K. But the ball is in his court if he stays. 

Just now, ashy1966 said:

Staunton. 

Well, it'd be a first if he does. He's not a centre-half and has proved it. A mate of mine claimed he was a class centre-half when deployed there last season, but I never saw it. Good luck with your judgement and accept mediocrity at best (and don't come on here with your usual rants when Town are struggling). That retained list is about is mystifying as these top 25 GB Olympic moments put together by some 'expert' panel. 

As an outsider looking in as it were, I can see why he'd be let go. It may that it's nothing to do with his qualities as a player and simply down to the new regime.

What I can say is that, in the limited experience my daughter and I had of him, he's a cracking bloke. He was brilliant when she was mascot. And has always been approachable whilst she's been watching her team. 

8 minutes ago, ashy1966 said:

Staunton isn't good enough at centre half. Clarke maeshalled that position when Brown was injured but Staunton with a lesser player would have been scary. He isn't strong enough and can't head a ball like a centre half should. 

Staunton would be challenging for a holding role but that's all. 

Massively overrated. 

2 minutes ago, Erik Everhard said:

I wonder who our big earners are? Matty Brown must be one of them. Perhaps Browny doesn't want to travel ans train an extra day a week for the same money? Who knows. 

But out of the other players that have left I would think Hanso. Was probably on a decent screw, and maybe Redshaw? Josh Mc was perhaps on a decent wage seeing as he signed a 3 year deal? 

So, who do we need IF all the players that jave been offered deals accept? 

A recognised first choice left back. 

2 Tall mobile centre halves. 

A decent holding midfielder who can bring the ball down and spray pasees, and read the game and tackle. He would ideally be our captain.

A creative, attacking midfielder. We need another midfielder to either play alongside Cam King, to put him under pressure or to take his place. 

Then we need at least 2 strikers. One would be able to play out wide when needed. 

This is where the budget questions come up again. I wouldn't have kept Cooper. Cooper would have gone and that would have freed up some mkre cash to spend on the holding midfielder. If Allen stays then I hope he's on one of the lower wages. He is a bit part, back up player. 

Williams is a back up left back. 

Maher is a good utility player and I like his atritude. 

Staunton needs an experienced holdibg midfielder to bring him through. Big season for him, if he stays. 

TSS I hope he stays because he was a right hand full against Boramwood and if we sign a decent striker to play alongside and he improves his fitness then he could be a 20 goal striker. 

Cam King. Not sure about that one. A briliant player at this leveel but we need him to play nearly every game and dominate the other side. He should score no less than 7/10 a game and then go onto sign for a Championship club for £200K. But the ball is in his court if he stays. 

What part of Sho Silva tells you he can score 20 goals? Had a decent start to the season but scored about 3 goals since September is it? 

He played well against boreham wood. We played better in the 2nd half of the season when he was on the  bench 

I hope he doesn't accept terms. We need better. Not just him. I've named the others that should go above.

Don't get all the hate for Staunton? He was quality at the start of the season alongside Maher. Got to feel for him when he has to carry Cooper. Don't get why we've kept him. Would have been my first person out of the door.

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, Shaymus said:

Well, it'd be a first if he does. He's not a centre-half and has proved it. A mate of mine claimed he was a class centre-half when deployed there last season, but I never saw it. Good luck with your judgement and accept mediocrity at best (and don't come on here with your usual rants when Town are struggling). That retained list is about is mystifying as these top 25 GB Olympic moments put together by some 'expert' panel. 

I said it was an option not set in stone. He played there whilst he was England C captain. Someone must have seen something in him. 

10 minutes ago, Erik Everhard said:

Staunton isn't good enough at centre half. Clarke maeshalled that position when Brown was injured but Staunton with a lesser player would have been scary. He isn't strong enough and can't head a ball like a centre half should. 

Staunton would be challenging for a holding role but that's all. 

Massively overrated. 

Overrated? Yet you think TSS might score 20 goals in a season. Priceless!

• Like 1

Hell of a gamble letting Brown go - but if he wants an extra day’s training then I suppose he’s got to go for it.

Brown’s an absolute talisman, and I don’t mean this disrespectfully, but I think his meaning to the fans outweighs his quality slightly. He’s a very good player, but he is injury prone.

I think the retained list is about right. The squad did well this season and you can’t dump everyone and start again every year!

The real test is whether the additions we bring in are squad players, or whether they’re to come in to the starting eleven. The latter and we’re in for a good season.

• Like 3

Not too sorry to see Brown go.

No pace and poor distribution has caused us problems.

Just hope we have someone better lined up!

I wouldn't have kept both Allen and Sho-Silva as neither look like regular goal scorers to me so we need two new starting strikers.

The remaining players are mostly average at best so some quality signings or loan players required for us to be successful.

• Like 1

Would suggest virtually every player coming in has to prove to be an improvement on this seasons squad otherwise we will struggle, we have the journeymen we now need the extra quality to make an impact. Probably preferred Brown to have stayed but a new Marc Roberts would soften the blow & enable us to play a different style. Big season for PW, all choices will have been his.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, AJS said:

Don't get all the hate for Staunton? He was quality at the start of the season alongside Maher. Got to feel for him when he has to carry Cooper. Don't get why we've kept him. Would have been my first person out of the door.

Think Wild may be expecting a big season out of Jack Earing. 

• Like 1