14 hours ago, rdj said:

and when the manager panics he has not got enough players (last season's debacle, a prime example).

If Players who at the last minute end up at the Shay, we  will need a strong dressing room to ensure they give everything for the team and are not just turning up for a weekly pay packet.

And is that any different to players who sign contracts earlier?  All players are firstly looking after themselves.  They are temporary employees you hope can build an affinity to the club  but dont expect that from the off.

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Would not be surprised to see Ducky back at Hartlepool. He IMO will be the biggest miss but yet again the loyalty shown by our club has not been repaid by a player.

Some people are really hard to please. ‘Misses a few headers’, indeed. Staunton plays (played) for Halifax Town, not Liverpool. Anyone who saw him work his proverbials off, body on the line, etc. at O

On reflection after digesting the retained list I am of the opinion various decisions on the list were made for both squad flexibility and financial reasons. Redshaw showed occasional glimpses of tr

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, SHAY man 2 said:

Stauntan has now left the club ffs ......

Not too bothered tbh - awful CB and while he tried hard at CM it clearly wasn’t his natural position.

Seemed like a good guy, potentially wants to move back down south who knows.

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, shaymandownsouff said:

Can’t say I’m devastated at Staunton as an individual not being here, but I do worry about the scale of rebuild now required

Agree. Massive rebuild and doesn't always work. For me we've lost our key players that the majority would have wanted to stay. Quite worried to be honest 

• Like 1

Had to offload either Maher or Staunton IMO. They were too similar. Hope Maher accepts a deal. Staunton decent, but poor heading ability, not so much in defence, but he missed some heading opportunities in the oppositions box. 

Good luck Josh, probably head back down south

Edited by thetalktrainer
  • Like 1

Duckworth aside, a lot of those rejecting offers are the ones who were from down south.

If they had say Monday as their day off before but are now expected to train on Mondays, it would affect them if they went down home/to see family after a game and came back up Monday evening, they would now have to come back Sunday. 

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, greg45 said:

Not too bothered tbh - awful CB and while he tried hard at CM it clearly wasn’t his natural position.

Seemed like a good guy, potentially wants to move back down south who knows.

Bang on, plenty of actual Midfield players who could play that role much better.   

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Shayfan92 said:

Duckworth aside, a lot of those rejecting offers are the ones who were from down south.

If they had say Monday as their day off before but are now expected to train on Mondays, it would affect them if they went down home/to see family after a game and came back up Monday evening, they would now have to come back Sunday. 

It would be a big factor. I have had contracts in London in the past where I used to go down on a Monday and then come back up to Leeds on Thursday night. It is alright to begin with but it then becomes a bit soul destroying after a while and tends to unsettle the family life. While the money is good it is not everything.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, thetalktrainer said:

Had to offload either Maher or Staunton IMO. They were too similar. Hope Maher accepts a deal. Staunton decent, but poor heading ability, not so much in defence, but he missed some heading opportunities in the oppositions box. 

Good luck Josh, probably head back down south

Totally agree. Maher is my preferred option out of the two because he's better at centre half. But that said we've lost a versatile player. 

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, shaymandownsouff said:

Can’t say I’m devastated at Staunton as an individual not being here, but I do worry about the scale of rebuild now required

It's slowly turning into something that Pete Wild didn't want, a rebuild.

But we still have some talent left and experience and there are loads of players out there to choose from. 

Not worried yet, I still excited about next season COVID 19 permitting. 

3 minutes ago, ashy1966 said:

Strange when a player leaves how all of a sudden deemed not good enough? 

Is this the same Josh Staunton that many on here were saying he had a chance of being our player of the year before lockdown? 

Yes, but obviously not the same posters because most of the posters are prerty non plus about his departure. But if you read the comments above there are some posters that are gutted he's gone. 

I don't think anyone disliked Staunton, the only difference in opinion seems to be whether he was ok or good 

1 minute ago, Erik Everhard said:

Yes, but obviously not the same posters because most of the posters are prerty non plus about his departure. But if you read the comments above there are some posters that are gutted he's gone. 

I don't think anyone disliked Staunton, the only difference in opinion seems to be whether he was ok or good 

At least he lasted 90 minutes. 

1 minute ago, ashy1966 said:

At least he lasted 90 minutes. 

So... i liked Josh and what he did for the team but he had little quality other than his workrate and fitness. I definitely would have liked him to stay, maybe to sit in front of the defence but its not a massive loss, its just another loss which keeps happening

• Like 1
1 minute ago, halifaxmark said:

So... i liked Josh and what he did for the team but he had little quality other than his workrate and fitness. I definitely would have liked him to stay, maybe to sit in front of the defence but its not a massive loss, its just another loss which keeps happening

Little quality? Like the rest then apart from  Cameron King & Duckworth. Wild has a massive job on for next season. 

I want players to remain where they are actually good enough - not purely so we “have some men”. We are weeks away from the start of the season and as Bubba said it is currently the silly season of players getting their heads turned because a better/bigger club might be interested. Often that comes to nothing at which point people come back on the market, and that’s when we tend to pick up the most players.

I’m not saying I’m happy with all the players that have left - but I don’t greet every new announcement with “ANOTHER gone” if I didn’t even want that player to stay in the first place.

Staunton, Cooper, TSS - not fussed about any of them. Duckworth/King - would have liked them both to stay.

Edited by greg45

I think we need to think about  who is leaving. Apart from Duckworth who if we remember left once before, but came back when nobody else wanted him all the players who have left apart from Cooper were recruited by JF under his hybrib model and had relocated from a long way away.

Now PW has increased the training it probably  doesn't  fit in with their lifestyle. It's  certainly  not what they signed up for.

I imagine  it would have taken a substantial payrise to get them to committ.

• Like 1