Wilde's interview with Scargill

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good interview I know he’s got a lot of stick in the past, but think Scargill has been very good over this lockdown period.

Like making a total bollox of spelling SHAY man 2......

WTF is a cretine list or is he keeping all the cretins.

4 hours ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

IMO it would be 1 year too many.

I'd keep him around as backup. Reliable, experienced and a good leader. I would imagine he'll be a good character in the dressing room too.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, AJS said:

I'd keep him around as backup. Reliable, experienced and a good leader. I would imagine he'll be a good character in the dressing room too.

Money will be the big factor with Clarkey. I would imagine he'll be on a decent wack with us because of his experience and his ability. Maybe a one year deal? Another possible problem could be the extra training. At 37 he may feel it's too much for him. I'm not saying for certain but it's possible.

20 minutes ago, Erik Everhard said:

Money will be the big factor with Clarkey. I would imagine he'll be on a decent wack with us because of his experience and his ability. Maybe a one year deal? Another possible problem could be the extra training. At 37 he may feel it's too much for him. I'm not saying for certain but it's possible.

Not necessarily. He got released by a low end league 2 club in Grimsby at the time and their fans didn’t rate him in the slightest. It made perfect sense for him to come to his local club in the league below.

I do feel it will be his last season should he stay. It’s quite obvious he wants to get more into the coaching side of the game. Wouldn’t shock me if he signed as a player/coach.

• Like 1

Although Clarke has done a stellar job for us I cant help but think this is just naturally the right time for him to retire. 

From a team point of view the slowness of both Brown and Clarke leaves us far too deep inside our own half. If they pair up again next season I cant see how that will change. We need a more pacy centre half for browny to pair up with next season. Allow us the confidence to push up with a reduced risk of being caught in behind. 

Player coach might be an option but I'd like to see us looking a little bit more to the future of him doing more coaching than playing. 

26 minutes ago, Greggs said:

Although Clarke has done a stellar job for us I cant help but think this is just naturally the right time for him to retire. 

From a team point of view the slowness of both Brown and Clarke leaves us far too deep inside our own half. If they pair up again next season I cant see how that will change. We need a more pacy centre half for browny to pair up with next season. Allow us the confidence to push up with a reduced risk of being caught in behind. 

Player coach might be an option but I'd like to see us looking a little bit more to the future of him doing more coaching than playing. 

He played a big part in galvanising the squad when Fullarton left. Got the team ready to go which must have helped Pete Wild when he arrived. 

Edited by Erik Everhard
7 minutes ago, Erik Everhard said:

He played a big part in galvanising the squad when Fullarton left. Got tje team ready to go which must have helped Pete Wild when he arrived. 

I'm not disagreeing about that and that he has been a loyal servant and having a Lad that cares around the club is a bonus. who's also from the Town.  But this isn't a time for sentiment for me anyway. There's a lot of players out of contract this summer. Probably some that would usually be out of our reach but because of a lack of clubs might be on our radar. 

That's not to say if he didn't re sign I wouldn't be happy. Not at all. 

What is there to gain out of another year from his point of view though? 

To me it just feels like a natural stopping point with him at his home town club. With a coaching role surely going to be on the table for him. To progress onto the next part of his life. 

Edited by Greggs

The most pleasing aspect of the PW letter was the commitment to bringing the Academy players into the fold more and focusing on trying to grow our own players for the future as we cannot compete with the big money clubs in the NL. About time clubs started to go back to what worked well for years until the PL came along and it was easier to just go out and bring in foreign players.

• Like 3
15 hours ago, Wilder Bollox said:

Thanks for your detailed reply :lol:

Nope he did not haver time off for a family bereavement when the club said he couldn't.

14 hours ago, Erik Everhard said:

I disagree would have been better. 

I agree.,

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Papa Lazarou said:

So what are JBW misdemeanors? I took it he didn't really fit with a 5 3 2 wing back system 

I actually think it might have suited him better. He's pretty good on the ball and likes to get forward. The only problem would have been fitness wise. Could he have bombed up and down the wing all match?

7 minutes ago, AJS said:

I actually think it might have suited him better. He's pretty good on the ball and likes to get forward. The only problem would have been fitness wise. Could he have bombed up and down the wing all match?

He was caught out a few times against Ebbsfleet. But, as you say, his strength is attacking their fullback and he can cross a ball, as he showed against us for Chesterfield when he set up Denton's goal. 

17 minutes ago, Erik Everhard said:

He was caught out a few times against Ebbsfleet. But, as you say, his strength is attacking their fullback and he can cross a ball, as he showed against us for Chesterfield when he set up Denton's goal. 

Didn't he play at centre back against Ebbsfleet though? Think Brown was out with a knock if i recall correctly

4 minutes ago, AJS said:

Didn't he play at centre back against Ebbsfleet though? Think Brown was out with a knock if i recall correctly

JBW played in a back three at Chorley but Clarkey was having to tell him where to go all the time.  I think fitness is definitely an issue which he has not managed to address over the season.

22 minutes ago, AJS said:

I'm not sure. I can remember him coming forward and then being caught out. 

I've tried to erase most of that game from my memory. Otherwise it'll be endless councilling sessions. 

Is this the on line or print version? 

Most revealing part of the print interview is him noting that he is looking for " another young gem I can work with and make better" 

Who is he referring to in the current team? 

The other items I found interesting were the number of players he wants and that he expects the squad to train an extra day next season. Take it that is up to 4 days a week ? 

59 minutes ago, rdj said:

JBW played in a back three at Chorley but Clarkey was having to tell him where to go all the time.  I think fitness is definitely an issue which he has not managed to address over the season.

For what are deemed as full time professional players then fitness should not be an issue, after all that's what they are paid to do, run up and down a pitch for 90 mins. It's not rocket science.

1 minute ago, Norm said:

Is this the on line or print version? 

Most revealing part of the print interview is him noting that he is looking for " another young gem I can work with and make better" 

Who is he referring to in the current team? 

The other items I found interesting were the number of players he wants and that he expects the squad to train an extra day next season. Take it that is up to 4 days a week ? 

Norm, as per my first post, how you class players as full time professionals if they only train 3 days a week? Training can consist of more than the fitness element, there are tactics and set plays to consider, watching back the film of the previous game, or watching film on your next opponents. 

23 hours ago, Juryeff said:

You have to say next season will be the one we really need to judge the manager on.

Yes he signed the majority of these players but he only had 7 days to put them together. This season, with his squad, we should see what he's all about.

He talked about athletes which says to me that Cam King and JBW will be out the door. King through his health issues and JBW through pie eating.

Looking forward to seeing what the future holds.

Did he sign the majority of the players?

Agree with your reading of " athletes " :D