Next seasons squad - who to keep, who to let go

Stay -

Johnson - Reliable and steady at this level. Needs competition. 

Duckworth - Arguably our best player this season. 

Binnom-Williams - A scape goat for some, but he is a good player. Good going forward, assuming he won't cost the most, he is a good body to have in and around.

Brown - Should be captain again. 

Allen - Worth another year

Cam King - No brainer. 

Staunton - Has versatility. Has experience and has the quality in my opinion. 

Danny Williams - Squad player, but can cover in defence as well as midfield. If we run a small squad he is useful again due to versatility. 

Maher - Experienced, doesn't hide, is at the standard we need at a (assumed) reasonable price and again is versatile. 

On the Fence - 

Clarke - Quality player, has he got another year in him? If he feels up to it, then I would like to see him return. We do need cover at CB in case however. 

Nolan -  If we offload similar style players then he has worth to us however if others are deemed ahead of him then its a wage better saved

Redshaw - If he was to be committed to us and we could get another player to play on the opposite to Allen then that front three would have pace. Depends on wage costs. 

Go -

Sho Silva - I think it will be hard for him to win around the fans. Not someone I'd feel confident to lead the line consistently. 

Appleyard - Back up keepers are odd in you want a cheap one, but one to push the number 1. 

Hanson - out of favour this year. Failed to take his chance when given it. 

MacDonald - Doesn't seem to fit into the managers plans. Theres a player in there but eventually you need to see potential realised. 

Jeff King - Too hot headed. Inconsistent.

Cooper - I just don't get what he brings to the table. Passing is often poor, he ducks out of challenges and fails to command the midfield for me. 

Earing - money better spent elsewhere. Hasn't shown enough in his limited time for me. 

Bring in -

GK - Johnson to remain n1 unless someone ridiculous is available, but someone who can push him a bit more.

CB - Cover needed at CB. Depending on if Clarke goes, maybe a second CB too. Possibly have Clarke as a squad player with a "new" CB as main.

LB/CB going from the above, a LB who could cover on the back line would be useful. 

CM's x2 - We need ball winners and those that can hold and dictate play.

Winger (2) - At least one, two if we go with one less striker. 

CF x2(3) - Two strikers needed, three if Redshaw goes. Extra winger if we go with one less striker. 

Edited by Flea
  • Like 2
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Stay - Johnson - Reliable and steady at this level. Needs competition.  Duckworth - Arguably our best player this season.  Binnom-Williams - A scape goat for some, but he is a good play

IMO the No.2 keeper needs to be as cheap as possible, its wasted budget to have 2 genuine No.1 keepers and that money needs to be invested elsewhere in the squad. 

The lockdown did Pete a favour. Its unlikely that the team would have finished in the p o under normal circumstances, given the way the form was going. Next season will be difficult for him

Johnson. Brown. Allen. Earing already signed on I believe so moving swiftly on

Appleyard. Who ever we get isn't going to play so why not keep him 

Clarke. It's a no from me sadly. I'd get him on the coaching staff. However with Brown as his partner it's such a slow partnership. I feel it leads us to getting trapped in our defensive 3rd when we are on the back foot 

JBW. Likeable lad but always looks like he has a mistake in him. I think he will go  

Williams. I want to say go there aswell but potentially useful backup to a new left back and versatile

Ducky. We wont do any better get him a deal. 

Hanson. Well he's signed on so I guess we've got him. He might be first choice next year if Ducky moves on 

Maher. Does the hard stuff noone sees actually improved on the ball over time. Keep. 

Staunton. Maybe. Versatile which is a big plus. As good as he is technically. Makes too many mistakes for me.

Cooper. You can see he has ability at times but he doesn't really show it. Go for me 

McDonald. If we change formation to 442 could be very useful. With Allen on the other side but doesn't fit into this current formation .

Jeff King. What does he do either side of a booking? Go. 

TSS. best game he's played since August tonight for me. However he's not good enough for me. 

Keep:

Johnson

Duckworth

Brown

Clarke

Maher

Staunton

C King

Allen

Redshaw

50/50:

Williams - Might be useful as a backup option at left back

J King - Might be useful as a backup utility option

Earing - Not really seen enough of him. Maybe worth another year.

Appleyard - Ideally sign someone a bit more experienced who can provide a bit of competition to Johnson.

Get Rid:

Cooper - Game bypasses him too much and all he does is pass backwards and sideways. Doesn't really offer anything in attack or defence.

Nolan - Similar to Cooper. Do think he offers a bit more defensively though. One of those players who's not bad to bring on if you are holding onto a lead but that's as far it goes.

Sho-Silva - Started the season like a house on fire and looked good today but too inconsistent. Clearly a confidence player.

JBW - Too dodgy defensively. Makes some silly errors and very slow accleration wise and on the turn. Stamina not the best either. Decent on the ball, i'll give him that.

MacDonald - Clearly not in Wilds plans. One of those that could go elsewhere and potentially smash it.

Hanson - Same as MacDonald.

Signings:

Backup GK (Maybe)

1 CB - Someone young ideally with a bit of pace and can play out from the back

1/2 LB - Appreciate it's hard to find good left backs at this level.

2 CM - One of them desperately need to be a Collins type midfielder. Again, appreciate that will be hard to find.

CAM (Maybe) Depending on whether we keep Earing or not

1/2 Wingers - Ideally a natural left winger, another position we've struggled with for years.

2 ST - Will be hard to replace Rodney. His pace and power will be missed. Wouldn't be against signing a big man option as long as we don't build the team and style of play around it.

1 hour ago, Flea said:

Stay -

Binnom-Williams - A scape goat for some, but he is a good player. Good going forward, assuming he won't cost the most, he is a good body to have in and around.

Cam King - No brainer. 

Danny Williams - Squad player, but can cover in defence as well as midfield. If we run a small squad he is useful again due to versatility. 

Maher - Experienced, doesn't hide, is at the standard we need at a (assumed) reasonable price and again is versatile. 

On the Fence - 

Clarke - Quality player, has he got another year in him? If he feels up to it, then I would like to see him return. We do need cover at CB in case however. 

Nolan -  If we offload similar style players then he has worth to us however if others are deemed ahead of him then its a wage better saved

Redshaw - If he was to be committed to us and we could get another player to play on the opposite to Allen then that front three would have pace. Depends on wage costs. 

Go -

Sho Silva - I think it will be hard for him to win around the fans. Not someone I'd feel confident to lead the line consistently. 

Appleyard - Back up keepers are odd in you want a cheap one, but one to push the number 1. 

MacDonald - Doesn't seem to fit into the managers plans. Theres a player in there but eventually you need to see potential realised. 

Cooper - I just don't get what he brings to the table. Passing is often poor, he ducks out of challenges and fails to command the midfield for me. 

Earing - money better spent elsewhere. Hasn't shown enough in his limited time for me. 

Bring in -

GK - Johnson to remain n1 unless someone ridiculous is available, but someone who can push him a bit more.

CB - Cover needed at CB. Depending on if Clarke goes, maybe a second CB too. Possibly have Clarke as a squad player with a "new" CB as main.

LB/CB going from the above, a LB who could cover on the back line would be useful. 

CF x2(3) - Two strikers needed, three if Redshaw goes. Extra winger if we go with one less striker. 

Well summed up, I agree with all that. I'm pretty sure Redshaw will be here next season, I know his uncle and according to him he's happy at Town!

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, chrisbo61 said:

Well summed up, I agree with all that. I'm pretty sure Redshaw will be here next season, I know his uncle and according to him he's happy at Town!

Hopefully that Is correct but if he is to stay we really need to stop playing target man football to a midget. 

• Like 1

Not overly disappointed tonight...I think many of our failings thus far this season saw us out. We get bullied in midfield far too much and we need some quality upfront. I think TSS did a really good job tonight but is he really up to it? I think he’s more of a finisher who needs a Rodney to hold the ball up. He did get in some good positions tonight which is probably ‘his game’. 

I appreciate we don’t have cash to splash but we need a box to box midfielder a defensive minded mid with a pass and that target man. Don’t ‘get’ cooper, despite his efforts. I thought we looked poor defending the flanks and were steamrollered 2nd half. But we’ve seen it a few times this year. 

Despite all that I think we’ve made strides...but rebuild and go again.....

6 hours ago, obmij77 said:

Earlier not sexier...but whatevs. :doh:

Stick with sexier . Probably the biggest problem we have is our predictable blandness . Compiling a scouting report about FCHT is too easy . Pete Wild needs to make us a lot sexier if we are to succeed as a team and he as a manager . The main strength in our success this season was just how rubbish the majority of teams in this league were and there's no fooling that we faltered to deceive at times . Having said all that, it's a disservice to criticise the players who were often victims of having to play in ways that were not bringing the best out of them .

9 hours ago, obmij77 said:

Agree with some of the comments made sexier though...why did TSS and cam king go off? 

TSS told Wild his legs had gone. Wild had no choice but to sub him. I suspect Cam King was the same due to his long standing fitness issues.

i doubt we will keep Staunton, C King at the club. They are southern based and I can see them wanting to return.

Other issue is we have been seen to overachieve  this season and next season is unlikely to be as good.

2 minutes ago, shaymenRup said:

TSS told Wild his legs had gone. Wild had no choice but to sub him. I suspect Cam King was the same due to his long standing fitness issues.

i doubt we will keep Staunton, C King at the club. They are southern based and I can see them wanting to return.

Other issue is we have been seen to overachieve  this season and next season is unlikely to be as good.

All depends on signings. PW says he has learnt about players at this level, I hope so there will be plenty about.

11 hours ago, Flea said:

Stay -

Cam King - No brainer. 

On the Fence - 

Go -

Bring in -

I agree with majority of that apart from you would prefer Nolan to cooper?? Nolan is awful. And you say cooper ducks out of challenges? Thats one thing he definitely doesn't do,he loves a tackle. I actually like cooper. Also like Josh and think he's a good winger to have in the squad but like you say doesn't fit in the managers plans or get a look in really

1 hour ago, shaymenRup said:

Surely the interview Wild gave saying everyone came back in great shape is false then. Surely you cant be tired after 60 minutes when you haven't played for 3 months. I didn't see such an issue in the Boreham Wood team. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Greggs said:

Surely the interview Wild gave saying everyone came back in great shape is false then. Surely you cant be tired after 60 minutes when you haven't played for 3 months. I didn't see such an issue in the Boreham Wood team. 

Hard to judge match fitness in a training environment. The application and fitness levels just can’t be replicated even in friendlies.

Im sure the club have worked on stamina in training , but the only way to get match fit is to play lots of matches.

Keep

Johnson Brown Duckworth Redshaw Maher C King Allen Earing

Release

Clarke Cooper JBW McDonald Nolan Williams Staunton TSS J King Hanson

If TSS could play week in week out like he did in the first half he would start every game. I just can't see it. Cooper gives a lot of needless free kicks away. Staunton isn't a midfielder but I also don't see him as a centre half. I think the rest are obvious. 

Cam King needs to be able to play every game. If he can't then we need to look elsewhere.

I have a feeling Pete Wild will keep more of the players I've listed for release, simply because of the budget constraints. 

I don't think any of those players stole a living and they all played their part but they are lacking that bit of quality.

1 hour ago, SHAY man 2 said:

I think Cam King will go back to Kings Lynn if I'm honest 

Wouldn’t shock me. I’d be going all out for Hardy regardless of whether King stays or not. We need someone to alternate him with. Even better would Gardner if he’s willing to drop down after his injury issues but heard he might be off to Salford 

Edited by AJS
1 hour ago, chrisbo61 said:

Great player, but not fit enough, we can do better hopefully!

I never saw him do much in all the home games I saw. A good footballer who seemed to reserve his best moments for away from home. You've got to question, though, as good as he's meant to be, whether it's worth keeping a player who simply can't guarantee to give you a full 90 minutes on the pitch.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Shaymus said:

I never saw him do much in all the home games I saw. A good footballer who seemed to reserve his best moments for away from home. You've got to question, though, as good as he's meant to be, whether it's worth keeping a player who simply can't guarantee to give you a full 90 minutes on the pitch.

He played well against Wimbledon at home, up until his injury. He was the best player on the pitch. 

• Like 1

I put this on the forum last night. It is probably more pertinent in this subject so this is my opinion.

We are all disappointed because that was a typical town performance. Promising start and then fizzling out big style because we sit back and allow the opposition to get at us. We have to get rid of all our midfield and our attack. (inc Cam King). Cam King is the only quality in midfield or up front but he doesn`t last games. We need 2 proper midfielders and at least 2 attackers. I would release the following.

Danny Williams. Flatters to deceive.

Charlie Cooper. Tries hard but is lacking in quality.

Nathan Clarke. Thank you Nathan for your fantastic efforts over the last few years.

Cam King. He has got to stay on the field for 90 minutes.

Liam Nolan (touch and go whether he should go or stay - probably release)

Tobi SS. Fantatstic today but he cannot lead a line considering the way we play.

Josh Staunton. Maybe play him behind 2 proper midfielders or release.

Jeff King. Get rid. A proper liability. No good to us.

Josh Mac. Obviously his face doesn`t fit.

46 minutes ago, arryarry said:

I put this on the forum last night. It is probably more pertinent in this subject so this is my opinion.

We are all disappointed because that was a typical town performance. Promising start and then fizzling out big style because we sit back and allow the opposition to get at us. We have to get rid of all our midfield and our attack. (inc Cam King). Cam King is the only quality in midfield or up front but he doesn`t last games. We need 2 proper midfielders and at least 2 attackers. I would release the following.

Danny Williams. Flatters to deceive.

Charlie Cooper. Tries hard but is lacking in quality.

Nathan Clarke. Thank you Nathan for your fantastic efforts over the last few years.

Cam King. He has got to stay on the field for 90 minutes.

Liam Nolan (touch and go whether he should go or stay - probably release)

Tobi SS. Fantatstic today but he cannot lead a line considering the way we play.

Josh Staunton. Maybe play him behind 2 proper midfielders or release.

Jeff King. Get rid. A proper liability. No good to us.

Josh Mac. Obviously his face doesn`t fit.

What does nolan bring that cooper doesn't.... shows how different people's opinions can be as I'd have cooper rather than nolan every day of the week 

3 hours ago, SHAY man 2 said:

I think Cam King will go back to Kings Lynn if I'm honest 

Better out there who should be in reach for us. Need a No.10 that plays the majority of games and steps up to the plate when the going gets tough 

20 minutes ago, halifaxmark said:

What does nolan bring that cooper doesn't.... shows how different people's opinions can be as I'd have cooper rather than nolan every day of the week 

I’d get rid of both.(and cam king) This current midfield is no better than the midfield that saw us relegated 4 years ago.

29 minutes ago, halifaxmark said:

Nolan has better awareness of where other players are and can pass fairly accurately, Cooper, the opposite.

This is the classic case of if he's not running around like a headless chicken he must be rubbish!

• Like 1