Just been announced these will be made compulsory in UK shops from the 24th July. Full details tomorrow on it. 

However UK shops will not be forced to enforce the rules just advice upon it. The enforcement of this will be on the police. 

Again there are so many loopholes in this..

Are there enough police to enforce this effectively. 

A lot of shops are open 8 hours a day. Supermarkets upto 14/15 hours a day. This is a massive undertaking and I can just see it being the same half arsed approach that was put in place for lockdown.. shopworkers are just going to get no end of abuse especially if they feel the need to enforce it. 

Onto the shop workers. Now I dont know how many people here work in retail and have been given the option of a mask for the last 3 months. But the big problem with this is you simply cant work for a long period of time with them on. 

What are everyone's thoughts and concerns? 

Edited by Greggs
8 hours ago, Greggs said:

Just been announced these will be made compulsory in UK shops from the 24th July. Full details tomorrow on it. 

However UK shops will not be forced to enforce the rules just advice upon it. The enforcement of this will be on the police. 

Again there are so many loopholes in this..

Are there enough police to enforce this effectively. 

A lot of shops are open 8 hours a day. Supermarkets upto 14/15 hours a day. This is a massive undertaking and I can just see it being the same half arsed approach that was put in place for lockdown.. shopworkers are just going to get no end of abuse especially if they feel the need to enforce it. 

Onto the shop workers. Now I dont know how many people here work in retail and have been given the option of a mask for the last 3 months. But the big problem with this is you simply cant work for a long period of time with them on. The heat from your own breath is just too much after a while. Surely it has to just be for customer use and not those who have to be there 8 hours a day.

What are everyone's thoughts and concerns? 

To be fair,I'd rather suffer a bit of hot breath than die!

I'm honestly hoping the decision to make it mandatory is reversed. I don't like face masks, they are awkward and wearing for a long period of time is not something I am looking forward to. 

5 minutes ago, Flea said:

I'm honestly hoping the decision to make it mandatory is reversed. I don't like face masks, they are awkward and wearing for a long period of time is not something I am looking forward to. 

I think it will be reversed by maybe the end of September but it'll be in place for for a couple of months yet. 

9 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

No chance, it will be the norm for months. Get used to the idea! 

I'm buying a lottery ticket on Saturday night and if I win the first thing on my list will be a FC Halifax Town mask plus delivery. 

• 3 weeks later...

Having worn my FCHT mask in shops over the last few days I certainly wouldn't like to wear it all the time. Claustrophobic and too hot because your breath can't escape.

According to our local director of public health the areas of concern are the Park and Warley council wards.

Looking at the statistics on the web site Park had 20 cases last week which meant it was just in the 20 to 29 category. Adjacent areas which have had cases are under 10. It could literally be just a few households where there have been positive tests.

I thought the point of track and trace was to pinpoint the contacts of those who have it and to test them to limit the spread. If this is actually happening then should all Calderdale have to follow new restrictions when the problem would appear to be in one particular area?

I think it is important that responses to outbreaks of the virus are properly targeted otherwise the economy will never recover.

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, Hands Off The Shay said:

Having worn my FCHT mask in shops over the last few days I certainly wouldn't like to wear it all the time. Claustrophobic and too hot because your breath can't escape.

According to our local director of public health the areas of concern are the Park and Warley council wards.

Looking at the statistics on the web site Park had 20 cases last week which meant it was just in the 20 to 29 category. Adjacent areas which have had cases are under 10. It could literally be just a few households where there have been positive tests.

I thought the point of track and trace was to pinpoint the contacts of those who have it and to test them to limit the spread. If this is actually happening then should all Calderdale have to follow new restrictions when the problem would appear to be in one particular area?

I think it is important that responses to outbreaks of the virus are properly targeted otherwise the economy will never recover.

There'll be a new test available soon which gives you a negative or positive result within 90 minutes.

Well, well, well. According to an article in the Independent face masks increase your chances of catching COVID 19. 

Also, a woman who wore a mask everytime she travelled on public transport and to go shopping developed pleurisy due to breathing in bacteria caught on her mask.