Greatest Player To Ever Play at The Shay

Chris Waddle played for Torquay at The Shay in 1998/99. Also Tony "Bomber" Brown, who was in the England World Cup squad in 1970, played in 1981.

Frank Lampard senior played for Southend in 1985, until Adie Shaw knocked two of his teeth out.

• Like 2
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

George Best. 

I have watched Town since 1957 and over the years the player who I enjoyed watching the most was Rick Holden , played with a smile on his face and when he got the ball and set off down the left wing t

He would always start in my best Town 11. For me, he was an amazing talent but it wasn't just that he was one of the biggest characters to pull on a Town shirt. Laughs and superb stories on

3 hours ago, Skircoat Shed Archive said:

Kevin Keegan for Scunthorpe 26/12/1968

I was going to throw that one in. I was at his first game for Liverpool, stood in the Kop, and for Bill Shankley's last game. The sound still stays with me when they were in full song.

4 hours ago, Erik Everhard said:

George Best. 

The best ever.   He was brilliant on pitches deep in mud, snow or a cow paddock.  Can you imagine what he would be like today on these grounds, he used to get kicked in the air but never saw him roll around on the ground like todays prim donnas.  The greatest British player ever.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Wilder Bollox said:

Should probably narrow this down to league games v Halifax Town or FC Town of Halifax . Clemence and Keegan would qualify from early in their careers . Eric Steele in goal for me, never wanted to play for the top clubs but has gone on to coach all the top keepers

Gordon Banks (Chesterfield)

7 hours ago, ColinCanberra said:

The best ever.   He was brilliant on pitches deep in mud, snow or a cow paddock.  Can you imagine what he would be like today on these grounds, he used to get kicked in the air but never saw him roll around on the ground like todays prim donnas.  The greatest British player ever.

Good point well made Colin. 

I watched a documentary once and Maradona was asked who he thought the best ever player was and he instantly said Best. 

2 hours ago, PRS said:

I have watched Town since 1957 and over the years the player who I enjoyed watching the most was Rick Holden , played with a smile on his face and when he got the ball and set off down the left wing the “crowd” used to sense something good was about to happen and often it did !

He would always start in my best Town 11.

For me, he was an

amazing talent but it wasn't just that he was one of the biggest characters to pull on a Town shirt. Laughs and superb stories on and off the pitch. 

When he was assistant manager at Barnsley we played them in a pre season friendly and he had a chat with a few Town fans about old times. 

If you've watched Town since 1957 that is some accolade. 

Edited by Erik Everhard
  • Like 3

Wondering about 1966 works cup winners.. those 11 have won something that no other UK player has done 

so trying to think who .. 

Gordon banks Stoke City FA cup 

Jack Charlton?  Leeds..West Riding Cup  ( and on the golf range) 

Bobby Charlton ? Man U Watney cup 

Any  others ? 

1 minute ago, Nick said:

Wondering about 1966 works cup winners.. those 11 have won something that no other UK player has done 

so trying to think who .. 

Gordon banks Stoke City FA cup 

Jack Charlton?  Leeds..West Riding Cup  ( and on the golf range) 

Bobby Charlton ? Man U Watney cup 

Any  others ? 

Nobby Styles?