I came into possession of a lot of Town press cuttings the other year and finally had chance to take a look through. Thought I'd take the opportunity to test the memories of our long-time fans. Maybe no-one here knows but perhaps you can ask the older fans you know. Just one question for now but I'll pose a few more if this one goes well.

1. Why did Halifax Town make the front page of the Sunday People in February 1974? The headline begins... "EXPOSED!"

1 hour ago, Hoddie said:

I came into possession of a lot of Town press cuttings the other year and finally had chance to take a look through. Thought I'd take the opportunity to test the memories of our long-time fans. Maybe no-one here knows but perhaps you can ask the older fans you know. Just one question for now but I'll pose a few more if this one goes well.

1. Why did Halifax Town make the front page of the Sunday People in February 1974? The headline begins... "EXPOSED!"

Rod and Mabel ?

So, for those who are interested, under the Sunday Observance Act 1730, it was illegal to charge for admission to any place of entertainment on a Sunday. As Sunday football was a thing at the time, clubs got around the law by various means, some would allow entry for those who purchased a programme, or for taking out a day's membership to the club, etc. But most were still in fear of the law and secretly provided a 'free gate' through which those who insisted on free entry could be allowed admission. But they didn't publicise the fact for obvious reasons.

The People did an expose on a number of clubs, Halifax Town being one of them, and we were found to only allow 'free' entry for people who purchased a 45p membership. Other clubs adopted even more underhanded methods. Bury would change which one of their gates was the 'free gate' multiple times, as quickly as every 2 minutes. So whenever you asked an official which gate was the free one, you would be pointed in the direction of the right one, but by the time you got there, the gate had changed again. Barnsley used to make those wanting free entry wait outside a big wooden door,  letting them in en masse to chants of 'pay up, you bastards!' from those already in the ground.

Incidentally, the Act was only finally repealed by the Licensing Act 2003, which became notorious in Halifax when the Zoo Bar became the first licensed premises to be closed under the new Act.

Another question tomorrow. I'll make it a bit more recent hopefully, there's plenty of material to go through here.

• Like 2

Quite ironic for Halifax really, as Thrum Hall had staged Sunday RL games for several seasons by 1974. There the admission was 'free' but a programme was a compulsory purchase at the turnstile to cover the entrance fee.

Seem to remember the rugby begging Town not to play on that Sunday as the fixtures would clash. Without refering to Shaymus' gospel, I think the crowds were something around 4500 at the Shay and 1500 at Thrum Hall, proving the rugby club's fears to be correct.

I was the Shay that day, think it was a draw with Southport.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, dcrossl1 said:

Quite ironic for Halifax really, as Thrum Hall had staged Sunday RL games for several seasons by 1974. There the admission was 'free' but a programme was a compulsory purchase at the turnstile to cover the entrance fee.

Seem to remember the rugby begging Town not to play on that Sunday as the fixtures would clash. Without refering to Shaymus' gospel, I think the crowds were something around 4500 at the Shay and 1500 at Thrum Hall, proving the rugby club's fears to be correct.

I can remember going to the Sunday match vs Southport but nothing about the game!

But its a Rugby Town!!!!!!!

I think my brother in law might have been playing for Halifax RLFC back then. 

35 minutes ago, thetalktrainer said:

Wasn’t the Southport Sunday game a nil- nil drab affair. Thought we played it on a Sunday with a 2pm KO cos of the Power cuts.

1-1 think you're(half !) right about kick off from memory.Played Walsall at home following sunday and won 3.1

Lost to Cambridge on sunday later in season too.

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by eddies mate
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, ewalsh said:

Any chance you can upload these clippings after the answer has been revealed, @Hoddie?

Possibly. They're not in the best quality though, and might not fit on the crappy scanner I have. I'll give it a go with this one. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Hoddie said:

2. Why were Halifax Town the subject of a conference at Keele University in 1987?

Was it to do with football on the rates?  Seem to remember some academic rocking up at a Supporters meeting recording fan's views.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, shaykehands said:

Was it to do with football on the rates?  Seem to remember some academic rocking up at a Supporters meeting recording fan's views.

“Reats”

• Like 2
41 minutes ago, shaykehands said:

Another winner :)

I've tried to get a scan but the colours are awful, it's too big, and my scanner is crap, but here's the relevant bit of the article. I don't plan on typing them all out so I will endeavour to find a smaller cutting of better quality for the next question.

-----

Soccer clash of interests

Glimpses of the future for some professional football clubs were not greeted with unanimous approval at a Keele University conference yesterday.

Local authority ownership and artificial pitches were the two most contentious matters to be considered by delegates at the Football's Family Face national working party deliberations.

Calderdale Borough Council member Mr. David Helliwell caused shock waves with his account of the affairs of Halifax Town. The club, he said, had been owned by a small number of white men, all over 55, who did not represent the community from whom the support was drawn.

Insolvent

After a long and undistinguished history the club was insolvent, the gates were down to 1,000 and the ground was a shambles, with £120,000 owed in tax.

The 11-acre ground was leased from the council for 125 years at a peppercorn rent and there was a proposal to sell this £3 millions asset to developers for £750,000, with a new stadium to be built on part of the land.

A 'hung' council agreed to inject £360,000 including £150,000 for the lease, and to rebuild on the basis of community ownership and management, with players contracted to work in the community.

The council had acquired 76 per cent. of the shares and some much-needed leisure space, but were not against the private use of the land.

There had been a hostile and angry public reaction, though the flak had now largely died down.

The future of the club has still to be decided, but there could be advisory body, in place of a board of directors, including council officers and the chairman of the former club. Possibly a Trust would be formed.

Mr. Helliwell said employment by the council meant more security and better career prospects for the players.

He also pointed out that many sport and leisure facilities were run successfully by councils.

They were on "a steep learning curve" and the political division of the council was a problem, but he thought Halifax Town could be a model to copy.

Fearful

National supporters' organisation official Mr. Tony Kershaw said the prospects of local authorities taking over football clubs filled him with as much fear as did property developers. What would happen if political control of the council changed and there was a different attitude to the football club?