Sign in to follow this  
TommyH72

Devante Rodney

For me personally, Rodney signing for Port Vale tells me he's gone chasing money. Stockport wanted him but obviously not enough to meet his pay demands. I'm more than sure that Town will have made him a decent offer to stay here, but obviously not enough to get him to sign on the dotted line. It seems more than obvious that Salford haven't wanted him around for quite a long time as he's spent more or less a season and a half out on loan. I'm going to do my broken record here again, but I think he has a far greater opinion of himself than his stats suggest. Good luck to him, but if it was league football he was chasing he may as well have stayed here, got some goals and helped us into the League. So, Money!!

People presume its about money but going to port vale is a good move for him and its league football which is what he will be wanting. I hope he does well there and i appreciate what he did for us.

• Like 4

Not sure on Rodney’s specific age, but if I thought at 23 I could set myself up for the future with a nice wage at work, which is what football is to him, I’d have done it. 

Similarly now, if I got offered a good wage over a good period of time and it secured mine and my families future, I’d do it. 

I don’t know why footballers thinking of themselves financially is seen as a bad thing. And it’s not like he won’t get game time to go alongside the money. 

12 minutes ago, Stasi Pants said:

Money

3 year contract

Higher league (probably)

Bigger club

He’s absolutely made the correct decision. Anyone who thinks he should’ve stayed with us is living in cloud cuckoo land.

Good luck Dave, and thanks for everything you did for us.

Dont get me (totally) wrong, I'm not saying he's made a bad choice, it's up to him. I just think he's way over rated by far to many. But time will tell.

1 hour ago, TommyH72 said:

Dont get me (totally) wrong, I'm not saying he's made a bad choice, it's up to him. I just think he's way over rated by far to many. But time will tell.

Way over rated, jesus. The lad is 23 and showed what a massive improvement to our strike force he was when he joined us

For me personally, Rodney signing for Port Vale tells me he's gone chasing money. Stockport wanted him but obviously not enough to meet his pay demands. I'm more than sure that Town will have made him a decent offer to stay here, but obviously not enough to get him to sign on the dotted line. It seems more than obvious that Salford haven't wanted him around for quite a long time as he's spent more or less a season and a half out on loan. I'm going to do my broken record here again, but I think he has a far greater opinion of himself than his stats suggest. Good luck to him, but if it was league football he was chasing he may as well have stayed here, got some goals and helped us into the League. So, Money!!

If he had gone for money he would have gone to Stockport no? He’s gone to a higher league instead of dropping to a team who we are led to believe have financial power to walk their way into the football league.

Good luck to the lad. I’d have love to have kept him but we are victims of him doing “too” well for us the last few seasons and getting interest off the back of it. As much as we might want to think it, playing for Halifax Town is nobodies ambition in football. We are merely one step towards working their way to the top

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hands Off The Shay said:

In time he will be a Championship standard player. 

Needs to play with other good players and not trying to do it all himself.

Yes, in the last few games he was getting frustrated and started coming back to look for the ball as he was getting no service. The only trouble with that sort of ill discipline is the shape of the team goes out of the window. Hopefully, if he is playing at a higher level he can learn to keep his position better. 

Take the emotion out of it, where would you rather play? A club that narrowly missed out on the L2 play offs and is an established FL club, or a club that probably over achieved to reach the play offs in the league below. Add in the good wage then it’s not surprising he’s gone. Glad it was to a team in the FL, and one doing well rather than one languishing at the bottom. Shame he didn’t want to stay for the play off campaign though.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, riccardo259 said:

Take the emotion out of it, where would you rather play? A club that narrowly missed out on the L2 play offs and is an established FL club, or a club that probably over achieved to reach the play offs in the league below. Add in the good wage then it’s not surprising he’s gone. Glad it was to a team in the FL, and one doing well rather than one languishing at the bottom. Shame he didn’t want to stay for the play off campaign though.

Afraid there was never a cat in hell's chance he would play for us in the play offs riccardo the lad was out of contract and pretty obvious we wouldn't pay the wages so he simply could not risk being injured.

12 hours ago, ewalsh said:

If he had gone for money he would have gone to Stockport no? He’s gone to a higher league instead of dropping to a team who we are led to believe have financial power to walk their way into the football league.

Good luck to the lad. I’d have love to have kept him but we are victims of him doing “too” well for us the last few seasons and getting interest off the back of it. As much as we might want to think it, playing for Halifax Town is nobodies ambition in football. We are merely one step towards working their way to the top

As I said earlier, I'm not disagreeing with anyone in general. But I will reiterate that Salford(league 2), his mother club didn't want him and there has to be a reason for that, they basically sent him out anywhere while his contract ran down. His short spell at Stockport was fruitless and they ultimately decided they didn't want him, choosing instead to take away our top scorer. As for his time with us, I'm not complaining, he did ok, last season(18/19) was particularly good, but in this last spell there were several times when he just wasn't interested. Would I have liked him to stay? Probably yes, but I would have been constantly questioning his commitment. Yes, FCHT are a stepping stone for players, that's nothing new, the lower leagues used to be the breeding ground for players to move on and carve a career at higher levels if they were lucky, that unfortunately has been consigned to the history books now. And just to clear up, in my book, 23yrs old is not a young lad in footballing terms these days. A very high percentage of the players across the board now are established at age 20/21. Good luck to Rodney, I will watch his progress with interest, see if his stats improve somewhat.

As I said earlier, I'm not disagreeing with anyone in general. But I will reiterate that Salford(league 2), his mother club didn't want him and there has to be a reason for that, they basically sent him out anywhere while his contract ran down. His short spell at Stockport was fruitless and they ultimately decided they didn't want him, choosing instead to take away our top scorer. As for his time with us, I'm not complaining, he did ok, last season(18/19) was particularly good, but in this last spell there were several times when he just wasn't interested. Would I have liked him to stay? Probably yes, but I would have been constantly questioning his commitment. Yes, FCHT are a stepping stone for players, that's nothing new, the lower leagues used to be the breeding ground for players to move on and carve a career at higher levels if they were lucky, that unfortunately has been consigned to the history books now. And just to clear up, in my book, 23yrs old is not a young lad in footballing terms these days. A very high percentage of the players across the board now are established at age 20/21. Good luck to Rodney, I will watch his progress with interest, see if his stats improve somewhat.

With the number of recent clubs he is in danger of becoming an itinerant similar to Fondant Talcum, talented at this level but not committed.

12 hours ago, Hands Off The Shay said:

Really ? 

52 minutes ago, Roy Race said:

With the number of recent clubs he is in danger of becoming an itinerant similar to Fondant Talcum, talented at this level but not committed.

Agreed Roy. I think that's what I was driving at in a cack handed way? No harm in chasing money, hell we've all done it, but in the football world you pick up labels that put clubs off signing you.

13 hours ago, Hands Off The Shay said:

Needs to play with other good players and not trying to do it all himself.

I doubt it, but time will tell. I personally think we are looking at another Fondop Talum

Edited by TommyH72

He's got the pace and talent but needs to really put the whole package together and say to the world 'I can do this' . Working with the right managers and coaches is the main stepping stone for him