Can anyone remember the guy who used to shout out ‘Gennoe’ whenever a ball was crossed into the box. He wore a trilby hat and used to throw it into the air at least once a match in excitement/disappointment depending on the action at the time. He used to stand on the Skircoat side, but on the terracing that’s now a grass bank (under the clock for those of you who can remember that innovation).  

• Like 1
9 hours ago, bill_atkins_is_king said:

Can anyone remember the guy who used to shout out ‘Gennoe’ whenever a ball was crossed into the box. He wore a trilby hat and used to throw it into the air at least once a match in excitement/disappointment depending on the action at the time. He used to stand on the Skircoat side, but on the terracing that’s now a grass bank (under the clock for those of you who can remember that innovation).  

No, but it's a great bit of history I didn't know about. 

When you read the background to the way the club staggered through in those days its no surprise we were always cap in hand & eventually went bust, has to be admitted we are now run on pretty professional lines even if it is a little less fun.

18 hours ago, Roy Race said:

When you read the background to the way the club staggered through in those days its no surprise we were always cap in hand & eventually went bust, has to be admitted we are now run on pretty professional lines even if it is a little less fun.

I'd rather have our owner than some oriental cowboys.

Ask any Wigan fan  how it feels.

Edited by rdj
sp
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, rdj said:

I'd rather have our owner than some oriental cowboys.

Ask any Wigan fan  how it feels.

Suspect we are in better shape financially than the majority of clubs at any level with a decent chance of coming out of this mess relatively intact.

On 7/8/2020 at 12:49 AM, Forever a Shayman said:

There used to be some guys who stand on the terrace what is now the grass banking on Skircoat side and every time Steven Ward got the ball shouted out “We want more money “ are they still around?

I was one of that group. There were 4/5 of us, who used to regularly shout out Steve Ward during the games. I don’t know if he feared playing down the right wing when attacking the Bus Shed end, because we sometimes used to give him some right stick. 

He was an ok player, but just lacked confidence to take a player on and get to the bye-line to cross. After the Friday night games we used to go into town for a drink and would often see him and a couple of other players.   I can’t remember all the banter that used to go on in the (very sparse) crowd at that time, but the Friday night games under floodlights used to have a really good atmosphere. Maybe we should give them another go. 

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, bill_atkins_is_king said:

I was one of that group. There were 4/5 of us, who used to regularly shout out Steve Ward during the games. I don’t know if he feared playing down the right wing when attacking the Bus Shed end, because we sometimes used to give him some right stick. 

He was an ok player, but just lacked confidence to take a player on and get to the bye-line to cross. After the Friday night games we used to go into town for a drink and would often see him and a couple of other players.   I can’t remember all the banter that used to go on in the (very sparse) crowd at that time, but the Friday night games under floodlights used to have a really good atmosphere. Maybe we should give them another go. 

Night time games to me always have a better atmosphere.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, bill_atkins_is_king said:

Steve Ward told me he lacked confidence because of some of the barracking he got from the home supporters. So there you are.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, bill_atkins_is_king said:

Friday night in the Skircoat was the best atmosphere better than anything now for sure.

• Like 1