Sign in to follow this  
ITMAN

Is this the way forward?

From the article: The concern, however, should be a broader one. It’s not about the decisions that the EFL are taking, or any other league for that matter. It’s more about the culture. Why do growing numbers of fans want to stay at home and watch on TV?

I would argue that rather than fans wanting to stay at home and watch TV actually the issue is that matchdays, especially admission in the higher leagues, are far too expensive for most.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alright Andy said:

From the article: The concern, however, should be a broader one. It’s not about the decisions that the EFL are taking, or any other league for that matter. It’s more about the culture. Why do growing numbers of fans want to stay at home and watch on TV?

I would argue that rather than fans wanting to stay at home and watch TV actually the issue is that matchdays, especially admission in the higher leagues, are far too expensive for most.

Andy, my main point was around the demise of the matchday programme. Do fans still consider this to be an integral part of the match day experience or would the younger tech savvy fans prefer to stick to Twitter and FB?

23 minutes ago, ITMAN said:

Andy, my main point was around the demise of the matchday programme. Do fans still consider this to be an integral part of the match day experience or would the younger tech savvy fans prefer to stick to Twitter and FB?

Programmes are still integral to me but I'm the kind of guy that likes to keep gig tickets etc. Not sure how others feel about it.

Edited by Alright Andy
spelling

50 minutes ago, ITMAN said:

Thanks, ITMAN.

Being "old skool" I prefer the printed version.  However as a former printer I know that small quantities puts the unit price up a lot so for lower league clubs where programme sales would be in the hundreds rather than the thousands it probably makes sense

1 hour ago, bazza45 said:

Thanks, ITMAN.

Being "old skool" I prefer the printed version.  However as a former printer I know that small quantities puts the unit price up a lot so for lower league clubs where programme sales would be in the hundreds rather than the thousands it probably makes sense

Bazza, like you my roots are in the typesetting game, and I still prefer to have a "real" book and a newspaper to read. However, we are now in the realms of those of us who still like/want the traditional style programme, you cannot beat the pleasure of finding some old programme in the back of a drawer in or in a box in the loft to bring back memories, and the younger generation who want it now and preferably on social media.

Part of the reason for posting the article was also the germ of an idea for next season, where for those fans who cannot get to the Shay on a regular basis such as Nick or maybe some of the Shaymen Down South brigade, there might be a demand for a digital version of the match day programme, so they could still feel part of the experience. It would not be too big a  task to scan and convert a copy of the programme into a pdf format etc, which could be distributed via email or by secure access to a cloud based storage platform. This could be purchased from the club shop in advance or potentially be included in the Supporters Club subscription, for those who take up the possible 100 Club (or higher) membership. Either way if you wanted a paper copy you could always print out your own copy at your leisure at home. This is only me thinking out loud and is in no way any part of any official club roadmap.

Alternatively, there could be a small surcharge on the cost of entry to a game but this would enable free access to the same digital version, I presume it could be formatted in a way that is more suitable for a phone rather than a laptop or tablet. It would also do away with the situation we sometimes face when the physical copies are all sold out. The design costs would be pretty similar and there would be no print costs, so this would mitigate the set up of a suitable distribution platform.

If we do get back into the EFL then we will have to undertake a major change with the move to electronic turnstiles, online tickets only and the general move to a cashless society, so we should get ahead of the game and look to embrace new forms of enhancing the matchday experience where possible.