12 point deduction if they finish outside the relegation places, which on 50 points they will 

win their last three games since the restart 

keep that going they can take the points deduction and still avoid the drop 

Edited by Nick
4 minutes ago, Nick said:

12 point deduction if they finish outside the relegation places, which in 60 points they will 

win their last three games since the restart 

keep that going they can take the points deduction and still avoid the drop 

Let's hope so would like to see them beat Brentford....

Feel it’s a bit unfair to be giving out a 12 point deduction in the circumstances - income has been drastically and unexpectedly cut. It’s not like they’ve just been badly run and spending recklessly. I don’t think they will be the last club to go into administration because of this.

• Like 2
44 minutes ago, riccardo259 said:

Feel it’s a bit unfair to be giving out a 12 point deduction in the circumstances - income has been drastically and unexpectedly cut. It’s not like they’ve just been badly run and spending recklessly. I don’t think they will be the last club to go into administration because of this.

Fair point, at least they have played all of their games unlike Macclesfield.

1 hour ago, riccardo259 said:

Possibly reduced on appeal for that reason

Only just got takenover a few weeks back too. So has something gone wrong with the EFL's "fit and proper" owners test? 

Clubs since time began have gone bust and struggled financially but it's getting even more prominent in the past ten years or so. 

The premier league was created and designed to swallow everything else up and it'll only be a matter of time until clubs start falling by the wayside and doesn't just like Bury. This coronavirus wI'll help speed things up too. 

Within 10 years, maybe sooner reckon we will see Premier League B teams taking up the dead clubs places, and it'll be Sky Sports dictating. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
9 minutes ago, Icke's Lizard said:

Only just got takenover a few weeks back too. So has something gone wrong with the EFL's "fit and proper" owners test? 

Clubs since time began have gone bust and struggled financially but it's getting even more prominent in the past ten years or so. 

The premier league was created and designed to swallow everything else up and it'll only be a matter of time until clubs start falling by the wayside and doesn't just like Bury. This coronavirus wI'll help speed things up too. 

Within 10 years, maybe sooner reckon we will see Premier League B teams taking up the dead clubs places, and it'll be Sky Sports dictating. 

Sad but true. 

9 minutes ago, Icke's Lizard said:

Let's hope not. 

8 hours ago, Skircoat Shed Archive said:

Possibly reduced on appeal for that reason

Assuming COVID-19 continues to be cited by the owners as the reason for entering into administration, they might look at the force majeur clause in any appeal against a points deduction. I also wonder whether Whelan will come out of this with his reputation intact. Despite the fact that Wiganers are looking to him to save the club, it was he who sold a club he claimed he had left in a strong financial position to an opaque Cayman Island-registered group.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, themanwhowasntthere said:

Assuming COVID-19 continues to be cited by the owners as the reason for entering into administration, they might look at the force majeur clause in any appeal against a points deduction. I also wonder whether Whelan will come out of this with his reputation intact. Despite the fact that Wiganers are looking to him to save the club, it was he who sold a club he claimed he had left in a strong financial position to an opaque Cayman Island-registered group.

It has generally been argued to date that force majeur does not cover COVID-19. There are upcoming court cases which will look further into that for specific contracts however in general it is accepted that it will not be covered.

I know that sounds crazy - clause included for the purpose of unforeseen events doesn’t cover an unforeseen event - but there you go!

Edited by greg45
  • Like 3
3 minutes ago, greg45 said:

It has generally been argued to date that force majeur does not cover COVID-19. There are upcoming court cases which will look further into that for specific contracts however in general it is accepted that it will not be covered.

I know that sounds crazy - clause included for the purpose of unforeseen events doesn’t cover an unforeseen event - but there you go!

Yes, I’ve seen that said in relation to certain insurance claims. It’s entirely predictable that that industry should dig in on that, given the likely size of potential liabilities. I wonder if this context might not be deemed different. It seems the administrators are preparing to contest any points deduction; I also wonder on what other grounds they might base any appeal, unless they intend to cite the FL as negligent or even complicit in approving the club’s sale in May in what look like increasingly dubious circumstances. Another factor is whether events in Hing Kong have had any direct influence on the HK-based owners’ decision; they don’t seem to have put any money in since the sale.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, themanwhowasntthere said:

Yes, I’ve seen that said in relation to certain insurance claims. It’s entirely predictable that that industry should dig in on that, given the likely size of potential liabilities. I wonder if this context might not be deemed different. It seems the administrators are preparing to contest any points deduction; I also wonder on what other grounds they might base any appeal, unless they intend to cite the FL as negligent or even complicit in approving the club’s sale in May in what look like increasingly dubious circumstances. Another factor is whether events in Hing Kong have had any direct influence on the HK-based owners’ decision; they don’t seem to have put any money in since the sale.

You would kinda hope things would be treated differently wouldn't you - clubs will potentially be forced to fund an increased set of outgoings, with a vastly reduced revenue, all through no fault of their own. Yes some clubs will use it as an excuse to start afresh out of administration because they were already up sh*t creek before COVID-19, but there will be a lot of clubs that would never have got to that point if they hadn't had this enforced circumstance, and I do think they need to be protected/helped somehow. 12 point deductions and the odd manky tenner handed out by the governing body isn't really going to help.

5 minutes ago, greg45 said:

You would kinda hope things would be treated differently wouldn't you - clubs will potentially be forced to fund an increased set of outgoings, with a vastly reduced revenue, all through no fault of their own. Yes some clubs will use it as an excuse to start afresh out of administration because they were already up sh*t creek before COVID-19, but there will be a lot of clubs that would never have got to that point if they hadn't had this enforced circumstance, and I do think they need to be protected/helped somehow. 12 point deductions and the odd manky tenner handed out by the governing body isn't really going to help.

The administrators are saying that the club is well run by its directors. However, clearly, and despite the fact that their crowds are not great, they have had no turnstile income since play restarted. The FL are also reported not to have asked for any financial assistance from the PL yet.