Sign in to follow this  
Skircoat Shed Archive

Supporters Club 1973

Harold Tetlaw and Jack Brown were the only members of this group actively involved when I first joined the Supporters' Club in 1983. I think there had been some sort of fall-out  with Paul Wrigley, Booey and Zeb before I joined, because they weren't involved then. The chairman was future councillor and mayor John Hardy, Harold was treasurer, though I think Steve Kell took over the role, and Jack Brown worked on the car park on match days. Reg Eastwood didn't do anything (he may have had the title as president), though he used to get free tickets for matches, I believe. Dave Allinson helped with the car wash until our defeat by Whitby Town. Lawrie Plumbe was around, Dave Dibb, Richard Hanson, Mick Lord, as well as Brenda England and Glenda Southernwood. It was only a small bunch. I worked on the car wash (on one occasion totally on my own for nearly three hours), and collected money off visiting supporters and non-members on the door of the Sporting Club on matchdays. Happy days. We did guess the gate, but I don't recall any major Christmas raffles or anything big. I got into Sunday football in 1984 and by the time I got involved with the supporters' club again in the early Nineties, Derek Newis was chairman and there were regular guests at the monthly meetings, usually held in the NALGO Bar, Northgate House.

• Like 4

Joined the Supporters Club in mid to late eighties when John Hardy was Chair and Harold Tetlaw was present.  Used to work the Car Park with Skircoat Shed Archive  charging 50p to park.  Never forget him chasing ex Bolton boss Phil Neal across the Car Park demanding he pay.  Also remember spending a weekend outside M&S collecting names for a petition against the Council selling the Shay.  Thankfully Derek Newiss re-invigorated the meetings holding them at Flashmans inviting guest speakers which improved attendances and from which Kit followed on.

• Like 2