Hoddie

Overseas supporters

What's your plan for the play-offs? Mine is to have family in the UK buy a monthly pass for BT Sport, then use a VPN to pretend I'm watching from the UK.

Any better ideas?

1 hour ago, Hoddie said:

What's your plan for the play-offs? Mine is to have family in the UK buy a monthly pass for BT Sport, then use a VPN to pretend I'm watching from the UK.

Any better ideas?

I have tried that before and BT appeared to  know that you were using a VPN and blocked it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hoddie said:

Any better ideas?

If you are in the EU you can still use a BT Monthly pass without the need for a VPN

https://www.bt.com/help/tv/can-i-use-my-bt-tv-or-bt-sport-app-outside-of-the-uk-

Edited by ewalsh
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bolt45 said:

I have tried that before and BT appeared to  know that you were using a VPN and blocked it. 

Use a better VPN ;)

ExpressVPN is, in my opinion, superb. You can use it on 5 devices and switching country is really quick and easy. It's that simple to use I even have it on my phone. 

I think I pay around $80US a year for my subs and considering the amount of foreign TV and music I watch/listen to, Im easily justifying that cost. The geo-locking of content is something that really annoys me and a VPN is the easiest and quickest way around that. The added bonus is that you then also get better online anonymity and security too.

Edited by Flea
  • Like 1

I use a VPN and as I still have a home in the UK where the kids live I still have a BT account 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, StVn1987 said:

Get a UK IPTV sub for a couple of months 

I have no idea what that is :)

8 hours ago, ewalsh said:

If you are in the EU you can still use a BT Monthly pass without the need for a VPN

https://www.bt.com/help/tv/can-i-use-my-bt-tv-or-bt-sport-app-outside-of-the-uk-

Aye I saw that, but on another page they say you can't watch outside the UK. EU law requires streaming services to make their product available for domestic subscribers who are temporarily elsewhere within the EU, but as the UK is no longer a member I couldn't be sure which of the two statements is current. The same EU rules should apply during transition but it's possible the UK negotiated an exception for streaming.

6 hours ago, Flea said:

ExpressVPN is, in my opinion, superb. You can use it on 5 devices and switching country is really quick and easy. It's that simple to use I even have it on my phone. 

I used NordVPN until very recently, was great initially but became steadily worse. I'll take a look at yours.

Seems like using a VPN is the way to go. Cheers everyone.

39 minutes ago, eddie said:

Know someone who lives in Burnley how does he get to watch play offs;)

He finds somebody with a posh car and a tv in it then just nicks it.:o

31 minutes ago, ColinCanberra said:

Cannot get anything in Oz noBT here. Guess I will have to watch Rugby League, waiting for incoming ready to duck. 

VPN line then download Cricfreetv. and you will get BT.

1 hour ago, Hoddie said:

I have no idea what that is :)

Aye I saw that, but on another page they say you can't watch outside the UK. EU law requires streaming services to make their product available for domestic subscribers who are temporarily elsewhere within the EU, but as the UK is no longer a member I couldn't be sure which of the two statements is current. The same EU rules should apply during transition but it's possible the UK negotiated an exception for streaming.

I used NordVPN until very recently, was great initially but became steadily worse. I'll take a look at yours.

Seems like using a VPN is the way to go. Cheers everyone.

Interesting despite having a UK TV licence I couldn’t use the bbc on line services even when we were in the EU

they would say the bbc is not a subscription service but then I need a licence to watch it ... 

So I had to get a VPN to watch the bbc 

However I really got a VPN as I wanted to watch shay player but as an overseas person they wanted to charge me $9.99  instead of £4.99 

So the VPN was largely paid for by my subscription to shaymen player 

2 hours ago, eddie said:

Know someone who lives in Burnley how does he get to watch play offs;)

he could get a running commentary via airplane banners?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Sparrow said:

he could get a running commentary via airplane banners?

One went over Old Trafford saying MR'S BROWN'S BOYS IS CRAP. Made me chuckle. 

• Haha 1