1 minute ago, ashy1966 said:

As much coverage as the BML? Not a chance! 

Totally diferent think though isnt it? One nut job on a rampage, as opposed to thousands all over the world standing against systemic racism!

Or are you one of those middle aged white men that dont see a problem?

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You can’t just call people racists for saying something that’s clearly not racist.  You’re everything wrong with it and don’t help at all getting the race card out at any opportunity.  —————

It's what you put in mexican food! It's made with avocados, garlic and lime juice!

On a lighter note,I see the covid denying president of Brazil has tested positive! What a funking clown!

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, chrisbo61 said:

Totally diferent think though isnt it? One nut job on a rampage, as opposed to thousands all over the world standing against systemic racism!

Or are you one of those middle aged white men that dont see a problem?

It’s all one way though it would be nice to have a balanced outlook. What happened to George Floyd was inexcusable. However don't make him out to be some kind of martyr. 

26 minutes ago, ashy1966 said:

It’s all one way though it would be nice to have a balanced outlook. What happened to George Floyd was inexcusable. However don't make him out to be some kind of martyr. 

Who is making him out to be a martyr?

Certainly not BLM!

48 minutes ago, Erik Everhard said:

Yeah, the kind spirited murderer was regularly getting pissed on bottles of whisky and smoking different sorts of cannabis. 

How can they send money back if their families aren't there. 

Bottom line for me is we do help some, but IF you are on a fecking watchlist or you become a person of interest then you're fecking gone and yes you can feck them off, look at the ISIS bride, not sure of her name and I don't even want to look "it's" name up. 

I do genuinely feel for decent people who just want to live  a nornal life in peace but how many others are just waiting in the wings to murder more of our citizens? 

My thoughts are with inncocent British people that have been murdered because of the colour of their skin and their perceived religion or lack of it rather than these people. They will always come second. 

It wasn't that long ago that Gaddafi was selling cemtex to the IRA, who used it to blow up British citizens. 

The young girl your thinking of is Shamima Begum (spelling ? ) She was most probably groomed on line when she was 15, so whilst it might be an unpopular view which of us haven't done something stupid at 15 ? Granted I didn't run away to join a death cult but I  can have a degree of understanding. 

Don’t often agree with Adrian Durham on Talksport but today he perfectly summed up how ignorance is clouding the BLM issue. The Burnley “fans” who paid for that message are ignorant of the whole issue. This isn’t about creating a huge wedge between black or white ethnicities. It’s a fight for equality. To be seen, treat and valued as equals in society. Prejudice is everywhere and in many people. Subconscious acts are just as relevant to purposeful acts. The racist attitudes of parents , passed onto children. A lack of integration or acceptance of culture.

We need to start with education, individually taking responsibility to be more inclusive and accepting of differences. Start seeing the person not the colour of their skin. 

News reporting is important to analyse too. Why was the news about two black females being murdered in a Fryent Park in Wembley London in June seemingly less important or news worthy than 3 white men murdered in a park in Reading two weeks later.

Every facet of life and society needs to examine itself. We need to change.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, shaymenRup said:

Don’t often agree with Adrian Durham on Talksport but today he perfectly summed up how ignorance is clouding the BLM issue. The Burnley “fans” who paid for that message are ignorant of the whole issue. This isn’t about creating a huge wedge between black or white ethnicities. It’s a fight for equality. To be seen, treat and valued as equals in society. Prejudice is everywhere and in many people. Subconscious acts are just as relevant to purposeful acts. The racist attitudes of parents , passed onto children. A lack of integration or acceptance of culture.

We need to start with education, individually taking responsibility to be more inclusive and accepting of differences. Start seeing the person not the colour of their skin. 

News reporting is important to analyse too. Why was the news about two black females being murdered in a Fryent Park in Wembley London in June seemingly less important or news worthy than 3 white men murdered in a park in Reading two weeks later.

Every facet of life and society needs to examine itself. We need to change.

Exactly this - the BLM isn't about elevating blacks above whites, it's about elevating them to be equal. White lives matter but that's so evidently true that it need not be said. Black lives matter - too. It's not as wide a gulf in the UK as it is in the US, but it's a gulf nonetheless.

I think part of the problem though is that it also comes down to class.

Part of the argument is that black people dont get the same life chances, opportunities, etc as whites. But there are plenty of disadvantaged white families/children who will feel the same. Is the bigger problem class rather than racism but its getting mixed up as racism or racism is being used as a convenient reason to some?

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, Bubba said:

Part of the argument is that black people dont get the same life chances, opportunities, etc as whites. But there are plenty of disadvantaged white families/children who will feel the same. Is the bigger problem class rather than racism but its getting mixed up as racism or racism is being used as a convenient reason to some?

Possibly that argument could hold water in the UK.

In the USA it's a different story and the BLM campaign probably has more requirement than in the UK.

31 minutes ago, Norm said:

Possibly that argument could hold water in the UK.

In the USA it's a different story and the BLM campaign probably has more requirement than in the UK.

100% I feel racism over in USA is very different than in the Uk. 

I think class has a certain amount to contribute towards the whole system, and the two in effect sort of feed each other in a negative spiral that’s hard to get out of due to systemic racism. I saw a very good explanation about systemic racism recently, and how the system can still be working against a certain group of people even when there are no racist people working in the system - you and a friend are playing a board game, you get to roll twice for every turn and they have to roll a 4 or higher for their turn to even count. Obviously you do better in the game. They complain that you’re cheating to gain an advantage, but you’re only playing the game by the rules as you know them. In fact, over time you might start to believe that you’re friend isn’t good at this game and you’re just better than they are. 

1 hour ago, Bubba said:

This. Apparently because I’m white I'm privileged but how many of us truly are privileged. Working class folk of all colours and creeds are given the education that those in authority what to give us to keep us where we are. To stop us getting the opportunities that they  want to keep for themselves. How many kids that come through the local comprehensive school system for example would get into Sandhurst with the same 2 crappy a levels that Prince Harry achieved.

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, neilstewart said:

This. Apparently because I’m white I'm privileged but how many of us truly are privileged. Working class folk of all colours and creeds are given the education that those in authority what to give us to keep us where we are. To stop us getting the opportunities that they  want to keep for themselves. How many kids that come through the local comprehensive school system for example would get into Sandhurst with the same 2 crappy a levels that Prince Harry achieved.

I agree but white privilige also comes down to the fact that white people hs e an easier life because black people will be turned down for jobs because they black. 

It was probably true 40 years ago and maybe even 30. But not now. 

As you and Bubba say above it has far more to do with class and money than colour. 

But some actually support black power and that's what they are striving for, rather than equal rights. 

46 minutes ago, neilstewart said:

As I understand white privilege, it isn't about the opportunities for social progression as such, it's about how what seem like everyday, mundane activities and experiences for white people, can feel completely different to a black person.

One example - being able to rent an affordable house in any neighbourhood you choose, and additionally, expecting that your neighbours will have a neutral or positive opinion of you without knowing anything about you except having seen you through a window.

Another - never being asked to speak on behalf of 'your people', and never being cited as an example of your race (good or bad), or worse, 'a credit to your race'.

You mention the education we receive - this is yet another example - history books often gloss over the role that black people played in the world's history, certainly Europe's history. For the longest time black troops serving the allies in WW2 were airbrushed out of history books. For example, De Gaulle asked that the troops liberating Paris be led by Free French troops, and the US agreed on condition that they didn't include any black soldiers. This proved difficult as the Free French troops were 60% African, so when they couldn't manage to cobble together enough white soldiers, they ensured that only light-skinned Africans were used to fill the gaps. The British didn't object, despite our forces including 100,000s of Indians. The US at the time still segregated black and white troops, but the French treated their African soldiers much worse. The were basically conscripted against their will, and despite fighting across all fronts, they were simply demobbed and sent home with little reward when no longer needed. Most French students never learnt of the contribution made by Africans to their country's liberty. Well, until recently that is.

25 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

As I understand white privilege, it isn't about the opportunities for social progression as such, it's about how what seem like everyday, mundane activities and experiences for white people, can feel completely different to a black person.

One example - being able to rent an affordable house in any neighbourhood you choose, and additionally, expecting that your neighbours will have a neutral or positive opinion of you without knowing anything about you except having seen you through a window.

Another - never being asked to speak on behalf of 'your people', and never being cited as an example of your race (good or bad), or worse, 'a credit to your race'.

You mention the education we receive - this is yet another example - history books often gloss over the role that black people played in the world's history, certainly Europe's history. For the longest time black troops serving the allies in WW2 were airbrushed out of history books. For example, De Gaulle asked that the troops liberating Paris be led by Free French troops, and the US agreed on condition that they didn't include any black soldiers. This proved difficult as the Free French troops were 60% African, so when they couldn't manage to cobble together enough white soldiers, they ensured that only light-skinned Africans were used to fill the gaps. The British didn't object, despite our forces including 100,000s of Indians. The US at the time still segregated black and white troops, but the French treated their African soldiers much worse. The were basically conscripted against their will, and despite fighting across all fronts, they were simply demobbed and sent home with little reward when no longer needed. Most French students never learnt of the contribution made by Africans to their country's liberty. Well, until recently that is.

British soldiers welcomed black soldiers into their mess when the American bases were set up in the UK whereas white American soldiers wouldn't sit at the same table because of segregation. 

Spme of the thinhs you mention above are secondary issues and aren't really classed as white privilege. 

But despite all the brow beating of white Europeans and more importantly the British, black African people wpuld have been wiped out if it wasn't for science and medicine developed by British, European and American scientists.

22 hours ago, Papa Lazarou said:

See some scummy person has excelled themselves this evening! Dont understand what goes through these folks minds! Whoever organised it, the company who made the banner and the pilot who flew the plane!!!! Why didnt just one of them say NO! 

No charges against them. Nothing at all to see here. 

3 hours ago, neilstewart said:

White privilege has nothing to do with class, though. It doesn’t mean that you’re not poor, it doesn’t mean that life isn’t hard and you haven’t struggled and worked to get things. It simply means that you haven’t been discriminated against purely on the colour of your skin.

17 minutes ago, riccardo259 said:

White privilege has nothing to do with class, though. It doesn’t mean that you’re not poor, it doesn’t mean that life isn’t hard and you haven’t struggled and worked to get things. It simply means that you haven’t been discriminated against purely on the colour of your skin.

Which is wrong in some cases. There are white peolle that have been and are discriminated against because of their colour.

Also, the UK is still a majority white European country but back in the 50's and 60's before people came to live here from commonwealth countries, our country was almost all white European. 

Back in the day there was racism and privilege ie being white in a predominantly white country, was widespread. But it's changed a hell of a lot over the years.

But back to white privilage if I moved to an impoverished African country and tried to find work I may and probably would encounter black privilage. But skills learned whils't living in the UK might stand me in good stead. 

How many bosses have you had who are not white? And if it is zero,  is that because people who are black or brown are such a minority or might it be down to something else?  We can't deflect that fact that this is about systemic, institutional racism and it's about here as much as anywhere.  

Edited by francisfirth
  • Like 1