TommyH72

I dont Like Doing This - But

I dont like doing this, but I hate all this kind of stuff, and it is certainly driving wedges into society. I remember commenting on various social media sites when England were threatened with all kinds of retribution from various quarters when we wanted to wear the poppy emblem on our shirts not very long ago. And now this. There should be nothing on the back of a players shirt but a name and a number. I really hate all this political c--p being dragged into the game.

82971755_10217607897008456_7943884723207409679_o.jpg

• Like 3

Would WHITE LIVES MATTER be considered racist ? All lives matter . Maybe some scum matter less and they aren't from ethnic minorities but from all walks, races, religions, colours and creeds

• Like 1

I’m a political person, but I agree, when it comes to shirts they should just be shirts, whether it be poppies, black lives matter, buy Kit some new sandals.............

One only has to look at this message board to see why.

By all means support a cause before kick off, in the media etc.

It reminds me of the time Dave “I broke my leg in the cup final’ Whelan wanted to have a minutes silence for Thatcher at Wigan. Really? In the middle of a coal mining area? 

If I owned Halifax Town when Che Guevara snuffed it I wouldn’t expect Shay Trev to pray silence to my political whims.

Is he ok by the way? I’m missing his unique wit.

• Like 1

I feel uneasy listening to Sterling about not enough black players, managers etc.....

I like to think players and managers are at the club on merit and not because of the colour of their skin.

I wouldn’t want a 50/50 split based game on purely it’s the ‘right thing to do’ brigade.

If you’re good enough then skin colour is irrelevant. Period.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Stasi Pants said:

I’m a political person, but I agree, when it comes to shirts they should just be shirts, whether it be poppies, black lives matter, buy Kit some new sandals.............

One only has to look at this message board to see why.

By all means support a cause before kick off, in the media etc.

It reminds me of the time Dave “I broke my leg in the cup final’ Whelan wanted to have a minutes silence for Thatcher at Wigan. Really? In the middle of a coal mining area? 

If I owned Halifax Town when Che Guevara snuffed it I wouldn’t expect Shay Trev to pray silence to my political whims.

Is he ok by the way? I’m missing his unique wit.

As the Godfather of word association used to say, I agree. 

Putting BLM on a shirt is just tokenism. What would be better is if society changed and people of all races got along with people of different races but will BLM on a Premier League shirt change that? I doubt it. 

Teach about more inclusion in schools and bring in tougher sentences for racist crimes. 

BLM on a footie shirt is a bit naff IMO. 

Edited by Erik Everhard
  • Thanks 1

To put

RACIAL AND RELIGIOUS UNITY

on the shirts would be a message with some meaning .

Putting black lives matter on football shirts isn't going to educate American police .

• Like 2

I don’t like this trending stuff where people suddenly discover some form of morals 

people should have their morals in their daily lives .. and not parade them because it’s trending 

have said that 

while I don’t support it in the shirt because that would be inconsistent with what has happened in the past

a minute silence at the start should be taken .. to show support and all reflection 

• Like 1

I dont like any political stuff being brought into any sport. I dont like any of these stupid gestures where players score a goal and pull there shirt up or off, to display a message of some ilk or other on a tee shirt. Play the game, be sporting in doing some and leave the political c--p to those who give a damn. I just want to go to a football match, pay my money (ticket) and watch football, I dont even believe in all this lining up and having silences, I tolerate certain circumstances, but on the whole imo it has no place in the game. So in answer to Nicks, lets have a minutes silence then no to that as well.

Edited by TommyH72
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wilder Bollox said:

To put

RACIAL AND RELIGIOUS UNITY

on the shirts would be a message with some meaning .

Racial unity, yes, however why the hell should we pander to people believing in sky fairy's and the likes?

Being religious is a choice. No one should be attacked for their choice and should be allowed to (privately) believe what they want , but we shouldn't hold religious sensitivities in mind when we do things any more than we do for vegetarians or vegans. 

Everyone should be treated equal. If you decide to believe in God and religion then thats your choice but you should also accept those that don't agree with that choice can say so. You don't chose to be Black/White/Straight/Gay/Trans etc. Race and Religion are not the same. 

Edited by Flea
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Grayski said:

I feel uneasy listening to Sterling about not enough black players, managers etc.....

I like to think players and managers are at the club on merit and not because of the colour of their skin.

I wouldn’t want a 50/50 split based game on purely it’s the ‘right thing to do’ brigade.

If you’re good enough then skin colour is irrelevant. Period.

Well said! Totally agree.

1 hour ago, TommyH72 said:

I dont like any political stuff being brought into any sport. I dont like any of these stupid gestures where players score a goal and pull there shirt up or off, to display a message of some ilk or other on a tee shirt. Play the game, be sporting in doing some and leave the political c--p to those who give a damn. I just want to go to a football match, pay my money (ticket) and watch football, I dont even believe in all this lining up and having silences, I tolerate certain circumstances, but on the whole imo it has no place in the game. So in answer to Nicks, lets have a minutes silence then no to that as well.

You are a miserable bugger!

10 minutes ago, chrisbo61 said:

You are a miserable bugger!

Actually no I'm not. But I'm sick to death of all this stuff that we try to get away from for a couple of hours. I go to watch football. And I think there will be people attending games who will be offended by having to put up with stuff they dont necessarily agree with. I haven't been near the IDC Club in Hx for donkey's years, (if it sill exists) but I remember very well that on a Saturday night, last thing after the concerts were over, they used to sing the Irish National Anthem, but people were invited to leave if they felt so inclined. I dont go anywhere for political c--p to be spouted at me.

Edited by TommyH72
  • Like 1

I have absolutely no problem with this, or with politics being involved in other walks of life. More people should be better educated about politics, because if they were politicians wouldn't be able to get away with the outrageous and blatant lies they come out with all the time. They would be help to account. You can stay out of politics but politics won't stay out of you.

1 hour ago, Hoddie said:

Oh would you look at that, white people turning the BLM issue around so that it's all about them.

How on earth can you be offended because a player's shirt says "BLACK LIVES MATTER" instead of their name? Are you racist? No? Do you want to support the fight against racism? Yes? Great. If you answered differently to either question then you're part of the problem.

So does that mean,  if a player doesn't want to wear a BLM shirt simply because he feels he doesn't want politics being brought into sport, he must be a racist? And he's also part of the problem? Bollox. 

Just now, Shaymus said:

So does that mean,  if a player doesn't want to wear a BLM shirt simply because he feels he doesn't want politics being brought into sport, he must be a racist? And he's also part of the problem? Bollox. 

It seems to me that the only people making BLM about politics is those who disagree with it so as to justify their opposition.

Just now, Hoddie said:

It seems to me that the only people making BLM about politics is those who disagree with it so as to justify their opposition.

That's rubbish as well.

1 minute ago, Shaymus said:

That's rubbish as well.

I disagree. Persuade me, how is being anti-racist in any way political?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hoddie said:

Oh would you look at that, white people turning the BLM issue around so that it's all about them.

How on earth can you be offended because a player's shirt says "BLACK LIVES MATTER" instead of their name? Are you racist? No? Do you want to support the fight against racism? Yes? Great. If you answered differently to either question then you're part of the problem.

We always seem to be poles apart. I am far from racist, sexist, fattist, gingeriest or any other "ist" you care to mention. You dont know me or anything about me Hoddie, so please refrain from casting aspersions. I just dont see why every cause that people want to champion has to be dragged into everything. I want to go to the football and watch football without any attachments to colour, creed or sexuality. Just that simple. 

7 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

Some neo marxists have hijacked the movement ans tried to turn it into a class war, anti capitalism protest. I'm sure most of these people will also believe in and support the BLM movement. I saw a fair few youg white people yesterday with banners with the anarchist symbol. 

But the Leeds rallies went ahead without hardly any trouble. Not sure how the Hyde Park, Leeds rally went. 

1 minute ago, TommyH72 said:

We always seem to be poles apart. I am far from racist, sexist, fattist, gingeriest or any other "ist" you care to mention. You dont know me or anything about me Hoddie, so please refrain from casting aspersions. I just dont see why every cause that people want to champion has to be dragged into everything. I want to go to the football and watch football without any attachments to colour, creed or sexuality. Just that simple. 

You got to the messageboard before me. That's my stance exactly. There doesn't have to be a political agenda to be anti-racist, that is true, but by making such a statements, and demanding change, it can only come from the top, so therefore, logically, government and protests become intertwined. But I will not have Hoddie or anyone saying that certain people must be part of the problem because they don't want to attach themselves to a movement such as BLM. Of course black lives matter, we're all as important as anyone else. The UK is far more tolerant as far as I can see and black and ethnic minorities are given more opportunities today than they've ever had. When I started supporting Halifax Town over forty years ago, we had no black players in the first team, and the only one on the books was Tony Rowe, a friend of mine on social media. In sport, athletics, football, politics, television, in all walks of life, black and ethnic people represented greater than they've ever been. 'Coronation Street', as bad as it's been over recent years, had a a very powerful episode around a month ago, when the head of a black family tackled a white man who was clearly racist. It was very emotive, and a brilliant message was delivered. Racism is sickening, but you'll never eradicate it, especially in America. The next election over there should be interesting, and if the American people have anything about them, Donald Trump will be history this time next year.   

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, TommyH72 said:

I don't pretend to understand what it's like to be black, and nor do I pretend to understand all the grievances being raised by BLM, but it seems to me that when millions of people feel disenfranchised from society, claiming to face abuse and institutionalised racism every day of their lives, that perhaps those of us who aren't racist or sexist or fattist or whatever, should be doing our bit to help support any movement that is trying to make things a little better, even if 'our bit' consists only of getting out of their way and not making it all about our own perspective.

Putting BLACK LIVES MATTER on the back of players shirts doesn't affect my life or your life. But it might mean something to the black players on the pitch and the black supporters in the stands, people we stand behind for no other reason than because of a shared allegiance to this football club.

20 minutes ago, Erik Everhard said:

Some neo marxists have hijacked the movement ans tried to turn it into a class war, anti capitalism protest. I'm sure most of these people will also believe in and support the BLM movement. I saw a fair few youg white people yesterday with banners with the anarchist symbol. 

I have no idea if that's true but I have no reason to dispute your claim. As sad a reflection as this is on the human race in the 21st century, BLM is a worldwide movement and local anarchists, wankers and miscreants out to cause bother are unlikely to succeed in deflecting supporters from the core issue.

12 minutes ago, Shaymus said:

There doesn't have to be a political agenda to be anti-racist, that is true, but by making such a statements, and demanding change, it can only come from the top, so therefore, logically, government and protests become intertwined.

That's patently not true. If government has to legislate in order to stop people being racist, we're in serious shit. Of course government will need to play a part, but this is about people and how we view the world, intentionally or otherwise.

Of course black lives matter, we're all as important as anyone else.

And white lives matter. Nobody's saying they don't - least of all the BLM movement. The whole point of BLM is that black lives matter too.

But I will not have Hoddie or anyone ...

Is that right? What the hell are you going to do about it? Perhaps you'll do me the courtesy of allowing me to have an opinion?

"You will never eradicate racism" is one of the most overused and ignorant statements ever!!!! Surely we have to die trying? Like Hoddie said I have no idea what it's like to be black and suffer racism on a daily basis, both socially and professionally, but one thing is for sure I will try my best to tell my children and grandchildren to try and educate themselves so they can have some understanding of what racism is and how people have had to live with it, and in my opinion that is the only way to try and remove it from society. It's ok educating the children at school if they then go home and hear their parents being racist, it will take a generation because these children that are educated to racism then need to be parents themselves to teach their children right and wrong at home.

Edited by Papa Lazarou