just been thinking about the 5 substitutions what's in place at the moment if it will stay for years to come..it will be interesting seeing a team one goal down with ten minutes to go with 3+ subs left overloading with attackers to try get a goal we will end up with attack versus defence I think it's going to b interesting...what's your thoughts?

Just now, Steve Lanzarote said:

Team 1-0 I can see the time wasting now.

In theory it shouldn't take any additional time to what it does now, as you are still only allowed 3 blocks of substitutions. Say if you made a single sub, another single sub and then a double sub you'd only have made 4 in total, but you've used up your 3 blocks so wouldn't be allowed to make the 5th.

I'd prefer it if we had rolling subs where the game doesn't stop at all for them.

Name your squad of 16, which must contain two keepers (Or a squad of 15 with just one nominated keeper) and all of those players can be used during the game going on and off as many times as required, however with no more than 11 on the pitch at any one time. 

The fourth official needs to be notified of every sub going on/off as it happens and its his job to keep on top of it all. No more time wasting, it then becomes a proper "squad" game and those managers that like to tinker and play the tactics game can show their worth. 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Flea said:

I'd prefer it if we had rolling subs where the game doesn't stop at all for them.

Name your squad of 16, which must contain two keepers (Or a squad of 15 with just one nominated keeper) and all of those players can be used during the game going on and off as many times as required, however with no more than 11 on the pitch at any one time. 

The fourth official needs to be notified of every sub going on/off as it happens and its his job to keep on top of it all. No more time wasting, it then becomes a proper "squad" game and those managers that like to tinker and play the tactics game can show their worth. 

would be interesting abit like ice hockey?

2 minutes ago, Sparrow said:

would be interesting abit like ice hockey?

Yeah. 

I kind of feel the gamesmanship of slowing the clock down when a team is winning is becoming too prevalent now and subs are often a part of that. The going off at the nearest point rule that was put in at the start of the season just gone was a good start at chipping away at this time wasting in my opinion. 

A further proposal would be rolling subs, each team has a match day squad of 18, however 2/3 of those players must be under a certain age (Like under 21) which would promote giving youth a chance. 

Rolling subs with no stops in play appeals to me as it doesn't punish teams who have made their changes then get an injury through unsporting play from the other side, as well as it stops the bleeding of the clock. It also means teams can be more fluid in their tactics which should hopefully allow for more exciting games. A drab 0-0 bore draw that is between two evenly matched sides can easily be swung by a few changes by either/both sides. 

• Like 4
11 minutes ago, Flea said:

Yeah. 

I kind of feel the gamesmanship of slowing the clock down when a team is winning is becoming too prevalent now and subs are often a part of that. The going off at the nearest point rule that was put in at the start of the season just gone was a good start at chipping away at this time wasting in my opinion. 

A further proposal would be rolling subs, each team has a match day squad of 18, however 2/3 of those players must be under a certain age (Like under 21) which would promote giving youth a chance. 

Rolling subs with no stops in play appeals to me as it doesn't punish teams who have made their changes then get an injury through unsporting play from the other side, as well as it stops the bleeding of the clock. It also means teams can be more fluid in their tactics which should hopefully allow for more exciting games. A drab 0-0 bore draw that is between two evenly matched sides can easily be swung by a few changes by either/both sides. 

I like the sound of that especially the under 21 youth players you could even go one under 21 and one under 18

Not sure how rolling subs could work in football especially the following scenario

A defender is substituted for another defender and at that passage of play it leaves space for the opposition striker to be clear on goal with the big gap and score

I do like the idea of speeding the game up however I could see some daft scenario’s too

12 minutes ago, Grayski said:

Not sure how rolling subs could work in football especially the following scenario

A defender is substituted for another defender and at that passage of play it leaves space for the opposition striker to be clear on goal with the big gap and score

I do like the idea of speeding the game up however I could see some daft scenario’s too

I guess part of the way that system would work is the ability of the manager/team timing the subs so that this doesn't happen. Timing the subs becomes a whole new skill in itself.

Edited by riccardo259
2 minutes ago, riccardo259 said:

I guess part of the way that system would work is the ability of the manager/team timing the subs so that this doesn't happen. Timing the subs becomes a whole new skill in itself.

Yeah. There could also be some rule that the ball has to be out of play for the signal for the sub to be made (I.E a team can't put a defender off the pitch near their own goal and sub him on for an attacker when there is a counter attack etc...). The sub can come on with the ball in play, but only after the other player has left the pitch, but the signal for the sub to be made can only be done when the ball is dead. 

On 6/14/2020 at 3:46 PM, Flea said:

When lived in the US .. we played with open subs .. day time temps of 40C plus in august and September it meant you had to keep rotating to keep hydrated.. it took discipline and planning

we played a back four of six .. four on the pitch two rotating .. it meant as a six we played together all the time and could easily rotate in and out .. 

you could rotate at anytime the rule was the player coming on could not enter the pitch until the other player left .. and play did not stop for rotation  So most rotations took place at throw-ins and corners 

it worked really well, and it allowed me to play open age football for a few extra years 

nick 

15 minutes ago, Nick said:

When lived in the US .. we played with open subs .. day time temps of 40C plus in august and September it meant you had to keep rotating to keep hydrated.. it took discipline and planning

we played a back four of six .. four on the pitch two rotating .. it meant as a six we played together all the time and could easily rotate in and out .. 

you could rotate at anytime the rule was the player coming on could not enter the pitch until the other player left .. and play did not stop for rotation  So most rotations took place at throw-ins and corners 

it worked really well, and it allowed me to play open age football for a few extra years 

nick 

cool...I didnt think of the age thing I guess players could possible play another couple of years doing it that way