mj85

National League Playoffs

If Town are confident of a good chance of winning the Play-Offs, a 100k gamble could be worth it - effectively 10/1 against the current Football League TV deal.

The costs appear to be around £165 per person, who is asymptomatic, for a private test to check if you have the virus currently. I would have thought there may be some way to join the EFL programme and take advantage of any cost savings they have already negotiated.If we have any who test positive then they will be quarantined for 14 days anyway.

Having said that how many tests would be required? Do you do the whole squad, remember we have no information about who we still have other than those players who had existing 2 year contracts, but assume a reduced squad of 16 players, there is talk of clubs being allowed to have 5 subs, so 16 man squad. Add in the coaching staff, physio, kitman and others, we come to around a round figure of 25 per game. I am not allowing in this for other club officials such as DB and the BOD .

This equates to approx. £4k per testing phase. It will only need to go on as long as we remain in the competition, so the outlay for the first game would be acceptable, assuming that we have to do one test a week during training for the game, say 5 weeks plus 1 for the game. So £24k to get the first round out of the way.

Is this considered to be financially viable, and as has been pointed out would further ST sales assist in mitigating this expense?

27 minutes ago, Sparrow said:

If the NHS has spare capacity, as Mr Hancock keeps telling us, then maybe a call to the local NHS management to strike a deal could be seen as a useful publicity stunt for both the club and the NHS, rather than handing the money over to the private sector. 

• Like 3

I can't believe how long it takes the football clubs to vote on any decision. Surely they are not meeting in person, so they will be video conferencing. So why is every decision due tomorrow or next week. With 'tomorrow' being the standard working weekday? What happened to evenings and weekends? Surely these are special circumstances.

Coming up with some direction should be the easy bit, the hard bit is for the clubs to make it happen on the pitch. There is zero-zero urgency. 

• Like 1

I presume our players will be in training next week but need testing first before any contact stuff

interesting interview from the borhamwood chairman on  borhamwood fc twitter page he says  there is no chance of the shaymen having a bye his team will be fully prepared and consist of all the players before lockdown,, he recons that it would cost around £75,000 for all three games if they got to the final, the final would not be played at wembley , he wants to increase his season tickets to £150,for next season ,but limiting it to 500 sales ,because of possible covid distancing rules, that being an eighth of their capacity an increase justified  especially if they are entertaining bolton wanderers next season

If just one player tests positive then anybody in contact with them, say on a football pitch, then has to self isolate for 14 days. It's unlikely to happen given the current rate of contraction but adds to the gamble of paying for the tests. Not an easy call to make. I expect Pete Wild would be extremely ****ed off if we didn't vote for it.

1 hour ago, ITMAN said:

The costs appear to be around £165 per person, who is asymptomatic, for a private test to check if you have the virus currently. I would have thought there may be some way to join the EFL programme and take advantage of any cost savings they have already negotiated.If we have any who test positive then they will be quarantined for 14 days anyway.

Having said that how many tests would be required? Do you do the whole squad, remember we have no information about who we still have other than those players who had existing 2 year contracts, but assume a reduced squad of 16 players, there is talk of clubs being allowed to have 5 subs, so 16 man squad. Add in the coaching staff, physio, kitman and others, we come to around a round figure of 25 per game. I am not allowing in this for other club officials such as DB and the BOD .

This equates to approx. £4k per testing phase. It will only need to go on as long as we remain in the competition, so the outlay for the first game would be acceptable, assuming that we have to do one test a week during training for the game, say 5 weeks plus 1 for the game. So £24k to get the first round out of the way.

Is this considered to be financially viable, and as has been pointed out would further ST sales assist in mitigating this expense?

Season ticket sales are meant to finance next season though. If we spend that income on these play offs and are unsuccessful thats a huge gap in next seasons budget. 

It feels like like we can't really afford to vote yes or no on this one. If the club made an appeal for funds I'm sure supporters would help out.

10 minutes ago, Skircoat Shed Archive said:

If just one player tests positive then anybody in contact with them, say on a football pitch, then has to self isolate for 14 days.

I understand your point and there is a real risk of others being asked to isolate, but I don't think it's will be as cut and dried as that. I think there will be some guidance on who has to isolate and who doesn't. It's outside for starters in a controlled environment with monitoring in place. The risk is of contact with a person who is less than a metre away for a consecutive amount of time. 

16 hours ago, Ash said:

It’s a small gamble to pay for a place in the EFL an home games against Bolton, Scunthorpe, Tranmere, Mansfield, Oldham and Bradford City

It may be actually more profitable to remain in the National league with crowds than the EFL without crowds if it goes that way.... 

• Like 1

Our leagues will end up with crowds at the same time. I know which league is rather us be in, even if we only get to attend half of it next season.

30 minutes ago, greygoose said:

Season ticket sales are meant to finance next season though. If we spend that income on these play offs and are unsuccessful thats a huge gap in next seasons budget. 

It feels like like we can't really afford to vote yes or no on this one. If the club made an appeal for funds I'm sure supporters would help out.

There are other factors to take into account as well. The gate receipts, of which there will be none, are split between the 2 clubs. The away team has their travelling expenses, and possibly overnight hotel costs, paid out of the gate money.

What about the home club, fortunately we will not be in this position, who have to pay to open the stadium, pay the match officials, pay for other ground staff to control the game, not to mention the tannoy announcer! All with no income.

We do not know what will be the allocation of TV money, will it be the standard £6k home team £2k away team, or will it be put into a central pot and shared out to cover each teams costs?

So, we have all sorts of other costs to account for and it will be expensive to do, but to be seen to be ambitious we have to go for it, or we have no right to claim what we could have done but never bothered to try.   

Edited by ITMAN
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, kirkbymoorsidesteve said:

interesting interview from the borhamwood chairman on  borhamwood fc twitter page he says  there is no chance of the shaymen having a bye his team will be fully prepared and consist of all the players before lockdown,, he recons that it would cost around £75,000 for all three games if they got to the final, the final would not be played at wembley , he wants to increase his season tickets to £150,for next season ,but limiting it to 500 sales ,because of possible covid distancing rules, that being an eighth of their capacity an increase justified  especially if they are entertaining bolton wanderers next 

500 season tickets hahaha dream on..

11 minutes ago, Sparrow said:

500 season tickets hahaha dream on..

There avg hame gate this season is only in the 700's - so yes wishful thinking on his behalf

Just now, ITMAN said:

There avg hame gate this season is only in the 700's - so yes wishful thinking on his behalf

And that includes away support. Considering they are in the golden London corridor it would be logical to assume they get increased away support compared to say us. Hell, even we always took a good 100+ there, compared to 10 they took to us. I'd imagine if they were playing Aldershot, Barnet etc... the away followings at times could easily outnumber the home support. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ITMAN said:

totally...do u think we can beat them?

15 minutes ago, Sparrow said:

totally...do u think we can beat them?

On the day yes. What is unclear is how the BHW chairman states he access to all of his squad from before the lockdown. What happened to the contracts that expired at the end of April? Ha there been a blanket extension for all clubs involved in the playoffs and have the players agreed to this?

After Monday it should be clearer, but we have already seen Harrogate's retained list, so the presumption is they only have a pool of 18 players for the playoff games. Enough to do it but what have we got in the locker?

hopefully we find out monday or shortly after..I believe its anyones tbh no ones played for months so it's going to b interesting 

9 hours ago, Skircoat Shed Archive said:

We've been quick out of the traps the last 2 or 3 years. Hopefully we treat it as a new season.

I hope so. We need something to fill the gap now that the pub world cup has been postponed. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, LeedsShaymen said:

Will any of our play-off games be on tv??

think on bt sports if you have it...if not you can all come to mine I will put big tv in garden with chairs 2m apart...for just 30 pound per person?:D

• Thanks 1