Sign in to follow this  
TommyH72

Football Topics

Can we please get back to football topics. I'm sick to death of all the crap that's going on. It's starting to depress the hell out of me and I rather just disagree with everyone about our club and team rather than Brexit or Corvid 19 or BLM. Football, that's what this forum is supposed to be about, keep politics out.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, chrisbo61 said:

Go on then! Start something!

Best I can think of at the moment:- Who, considering all aspects of the modern game v the older style game, would you consider to be the greatest ENGLISH :- 

Goalkeeper :-

Defender:-

Midfielder:-

Striker:-

When I say of all era's, lets say from the 60's coming forward to present day. It's kind of Jimmy Greaves was a supreme striker and would still be deadly in the modern game, we're not looking for arguments cos we'll never agree, it's purely personal choices. We will also put Old Style Wingers into the midfield category. Strikers are just that, goal scorers :- Shearer, Rush etc??

Begin.

goal keeper shilton...defender terry....midfielder gazza.....striker...owen was great but injury prone so I will go with Shearer...I was born in 74 so I'm going from then

Keeper:Shilton

Defender:Adams

Midfield:Lampard

Striker:Shearer

Edited by chrisbo61

Difficult 

Can't decide between Shilton and Banks, probably Banks.

Defender has to be Moore doesn't it?

Midfield Gazza

Striker Lineker 

• Like 1

Keeper -Gordon  Banks

Defender - Duncan Edwards

Midfield  - Paul Gascoigne

Striker - Tom Finney

1 minute ago, rdj said:

Keeper -Gordon  Banks

Defender - Duncan Edwards

Midfield  - Paul Gascoigne

Striker - Tom Finney

Duncan Edwards was a midfielder. 

2 hours ago, TommyH72 said:

Can we please get back to football topics. I'm sick to death of all the crap that's going on. It's starting to depress the hell out of me and I rather just disagree with everyone about our club and team rather than Brexit or Corvid 19 or BLM. Football, that's what this forum is supposed to be about, keep politics out.

It's funny that when the season is in full flow and we are playing badly we want to talk about anything else but football. 

I get your point though bud 

Edited by Erik Everhard
  • Like 1

Just now, ashy1966 said:

Duncan Edwards was a midfielder. 

Duncan Edwards could excell in any position he wanted.

Best player Bobby Charlton reckoned he had seen.

48 minutes ago, Erik Everhard said:

It's funny that when the season is in full flow and we are playing nadly we want to twlk about anything else but football. 

I get your point though bud 

Nadly FC was that in a pre season friendly??

• Haha 4

Loving some of your choices:- These are mine

Goalkeeper :-  Gordon Banks

Defender:-      Bobby Moore ( I struggled here with John Terry & Tony Adams or Terry Butcher)

Midfielder:-    Paul Gascoigne ( So many, but I think for a while he was un-playable, shame he injured himself)

Striker:-      Jimmy Greaves

12 minutes ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

Keeper - Gordon Banks

Defender - Billy Wright

MF - Bobby Charlton

Striker - Jimmy Greaves

I was thinking of BC for my midfield but I couldn't decide if he was a striker or midfielder. I suppose he played both but I was swayed by his goal tally that made me think of him more as a striker.

Gordon Banks, Norman Hunter, Bobby Charlton, Tobi Sho Silva

Oh sorry changed my mind. I'll have Alan Shearer for striker

• Haha 1

In my time late 70s onwards I'd say

Clemence

A Cole

Gascoigne

Lineker

Shilton was great at his best but went on too long & in my view was at fault in both 1986 & 1990 World Cup defeats (and should have saved Domarski's shot in 1973 vs Poland). Ashley Cole rarely put a foot wrong for England. Gascoigne & Lineker easy choices.

Banks

Moore

Gascoigne

Owen

I've gone for Owen because at his peak before injury he was at times unplayable and he scared every defence in the world. 

Edited by Erik Everhard

17 hours ago, TommyH72 said:

Best I can think of at the moment:- Who, considering all aspects of the modern game v the older style game, would you consider to be the greatest ENGLISH :- 

Goalkeeper :-

Defender:-

Midfielder:-

Striker:-

When I say of all era's, lets say from the 60's coming forward to present day. It's kind of Jimmy Greaves was a supreme striker and would still be deadly in the modern game, we're not looking for arguments cos we'll never agree, it's purely personal choices. We will also put Old Style Wingers into the midfield category. Strikers are just that, goal scorers :- Shearer, Rush etc??

Begin.

Rush wasn’t English!