Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yet another change in government policy. They are making all this up as they go along. One moment masks are considered to be ineffective next minute they are compulsory. The trouble with thi

The only reason I have bought one is to support the club. I certainly wouldn't have paid that much for one elsewhere. A quick bit of research suggests I could have bought a similar one for £

If it’s the same lettuce, then it is because it is second hand by the time it gets into the one in town!!

22 minutes ago, Erik Everhard said:

Japanese scientists recognised that a face covering can comprehensively restrict the virus being passed from one person to another back in April. Frontline  NHS staff wear gloves and masks to stop the spread of the virus. 

If we all wear gloves and masks when we get on public transport or enter a supermarket or shop it should almost eradicate the virus. 

I can understand the government taking a cautious approach but some things are just plain common sense. 

The gloves thing is a bit of a red herring tbh.  I have a few friends who work in the NHS as doctors and they are all recommending that it's actually better for most people to NOT wear gloves and wash hands more regularly instead. The reason being that wearing gloves only stops the spread of germs if you discard the gloves after every single thing that you touch, otherwise you're just transferring germs from one thing to another just the same as if you weren't wearing gloves. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, riccardo259 said:

The gloves thing is a bit of a red herring tbh.  I have a few friends who work in the NHS as doctors and they are all recommending that it's actually better for most people to NOT wear gloves and wash hands more regularly instead. The reason being that wearing gloves only stops the spread of germs if you discard the gloves after every single thing that you touch, otherwise you're just transferring germs from one thing to another just the same as if you weren't wearing gloves. 

I wear gloves made from vinyl. They come in boxes of 20 and only cost about 70p.

I get what you're saying and I agree. But it all depends whether or not the places you are going to have sanitizer stations. If not then I'd wear my vinyl gloves. 

If the overwhelming majority of people stick to these guidelines then we should see an end to this horrible virus. 

That's until it kicks off again. Although when it does we should be much better prepared than the first time. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Erik Everhard said:

Japanese scientists recognised that a face covering can comprehensively restrict the virus being passed from one person to another back in April. Frontline  NHS staff wear gloves and masks to stop the spread of the virus. 

If we all wear gloves and masks when we get on public transport or enter a supermarket or shop it should almost eradicate the virus. 

I can understand the government taking a cautious approach but some things are just plain common sense. 

Did you wear gloves and a mask to protect others when you had symptoms? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Papa Lazarou said:

Because all these people that say it should have been done weeks ago had the opportunity to wear a face covering if they thought it was a good idea. 

What's that got to do with me having COVID 19? I had COVID 19 in March, before lockdown was announced. I self isolated a week before I had it because I'd read people with underlying health issues were at risk. Despite my precautions I still had to go and buy food which I did at my local supernarket which is a 5 minute walk away. 

My immune system makes me more prone to catch colds and flu which meant that someone in the supermarket will have breathed droplets out into the air near me. 

So, as soon as the symptoms started I didn't leave my home for over 14 days, past the recommended time limit advised by the government. During that time I had a friend who came every day to fetch my shopping. I wore two pairs of vinyl gloves to write a list out and to pass money through my letterbox. This way my friend wouldn't catch the virus. 

Your comment is a bit of a lazy dig at people who are discussing how we can carry on and not spread this awful virus. I have a feeling you were hoping I'd say no, I didn't wear gloves etc. If you ever catch the virus you'll know that when it hits the last thing you want to do is go outside. Getting out of bed to go to the toilet is a struggle, as is making soup.

If we all wear gloves and a mask on public transport and in supernarkets and shops then we should hopefully see the back of COVID 19. Although I've just read that the R rating has gone up again. 

Edited by Erik Everhard
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a dig at all, far from it. Just get annoyed when people have a go at the government when they have had the opportunity to wear a face covering from day one. It seems as though people need telling what to do all of a sudden, until they are told what to do and then decide what they are told is wrong and they choose to do what they want!!!! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Wilder Bollox said:

They say that runners and cyclists have an high risk of spreading it, why aren't they wearing face masks ?

I was going to start running and cycling , but not now 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm just waiting for the Government guidelines on how we can have casual sex whilst maintaining social distancing.

Maybe the lack of guidelines on this has resulted in the ongoing spread of the virus.

I fully expect the Minister for STD to appear on the daily briefing in the near future.

To wear a mask or not to wear a mask. That is the question.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hands Off The Shay said:

I'm just waiting for the Government guidelines on how we can have casual sex whilst maintaining social distancing.

Maybe the lack of guidelines on this has resulted in the ongoing spread of the virus.

I fully expect the Minister for STD to appear on the daily briefing in the near future.

To wear a mask or not to wear a mask. That is the question.

HOTS wake up you must have missed it at least 2 months ago the Gov said wear protection when having sex. Wear a mask.

Couples Should Wear Face Masks During Sex, New Study Says

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Hands Off The Shay said:

I'm just waiting for the Government guidelines on how we can have casual sex whilst maintaining social distancing.

Maybe the lack of guidelines on this has resulted in the ongoing spread of the virus.

I fully expect the Minister for STD to appear on the daily briefing in the near future.

To wear a mask or not to wear a mask. That is the question.

It would be interesting to know if the numbers for STD's has gone down or up since the Acca has been closed?

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

HOTS wake up you must have missed it at least 2 months ago the Gov said wear protection when having sex. Wear a mask.

Couples Should Wear Face Masks During Sex, New Study Says

Unbelievable!

I was only having a laugh!

I wonder what research this is based on!

Where next are they going to intrude in our daily lives??!

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Erik Everhard said:

I wear gloves made from vinyl. They come in boxes of 20 and only cost about 70p.

I get what you're saying and I agree. But it all depends whether or not the places you are going to have sanitizer stations. If not then I'd wear my vinyl gloves. 

If the overwhelming majority of people stick to these guidelines then we should see an end to this horrible virus. 

That's until it kicks off again. Although when it does we should be much better prepared than the first time. 

I don’t understand what benefit wearing gloves has over just using your hands? Both methods transfer germs from one thing to the next. If you either wash/throw away your gloves before you touch your face, or wash your hands, then you prevent the germs being transferred to your face. 


So why bother with the gloves?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, greg45 said:

I don’t understand what benefit wearing gloves has over just using your hands? Both methods transfer germs from one thing to the next. If you either wash/throw away your gloves before you touch your face, or wash your hands, then you prevent the germs being transferred to your face. 


So why bother with the gloves?

I get your point. I do think the mask is the most imlortant part of PPE. 

Perhaps gloves won't be needed. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Papa Lazarou said:

Not a dig at all, far from it. Just get annoyed when people have a go at the government when they have had the opportunity to wear a face covering from day one. It seems as though people need telling what to do all of a sudden, until they are told what to do and then decide what they are told is wrong and they choose to do what they want!!!! 

I get your point but we do look for guidance from the government and they do/have imposed measures to keep us safe. 

The government did say that a face covering was an ineffective way of stopping the virus. But after numerous reports from Germany and Japan which stated that face masks DO actually work and especially thick cotton ones, back in April, I'm surprised our governement haven't made this a mandatory measure on public transport and in shops and supermarkets, sooner. 

If they had then the general public wouldn't have been advised to not travel by bus and either walk or cycle to work if they don't have a car. 

I know we are living through unprecedented times but the government have handled this crisis poorly to say the least. 

Edited by Erik Everhard
Link to post
Share on other sites

Gloves are a waste of time.   What about someone stacking shelves in a supermarket do they change cloves every time they pick up an article.    Gloves spread the virus because people get lazy and wear the same pair for hours.   Better to wash your hands of a regular basis, this is normal hygiene anyway.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ColinCanberra said:

Gloves are a waste of time.   What about someone stacking shelves in a supermarket do they change cloves every time they pick up an article.    Gloves spread the virus because people get lazy and wear the same pair for hours.   Better to wash your hands of a regular basis, this is normal hygiene anyway.

Exactly. Like I said, direct advice from medical professionals I know is to not wear gloves but wash hands instead. Plus, disposable gloves are terrible for the environment.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Hands Off The Shay said:

Unbelievable!

I was only having a laugh!

I wonder what research this is based on!

Where next are they going to intrude in our daily lives??!

Prof Ferguson was working on it. I think that’s what he said when he left.

BTW World Health Organisation are now recommending use of face masks, so it’s not a HMG volte face.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Erik Everhard said:

I get your point but we do look for guidance from the government and they do/have imposed measures to keep us safe. 

The government did say that a face covering was an ineffective way of stopping the virus. But after numerous reports from Germany and Japan which stated that face masks DO actually work and especially thick cotton ones, back in April, I'm surprised our governement haven't made this a mandatory measure on public transport and in shops and supermarkets, sooner. 

If they had then the general public wouldn't have been advised to not travel by bus and either walk or cycle to work if they don't have a car. 

I know we are living through unprecedented times but the government have handled this crisis poorly to say the least. 

Here is the minute from the SAGE Meeting on the 18th March:

29. Transport measures such as restricting public transport, taxis and private hire would have minimal impact on reducing transmission.

and on the 13th March ( ten days before lockdown)

24. SAGE was unanimous that measures seeking to completely suppress spread of Covid 19 will cause a second peak.

With scientific advice like that it’s a bit hard to blame the govt. We are supposed to have world class experts from Oxford Cambridge London School of Health etc, with hindsight it doesn’t look that way. Odd how our media haven’t reported on these and other gems in the Sage minutes, it seems it doesn’t fit their narrative.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had a couple of sherbuts now so please excuse my semi rant / complaint. I was going to buy one of the Town face masks, but I object. They are £12, fair enough, I know the club are trying to raise some cash and I'd be quite happy to buy one and wear it proudly. But £4.95 p&p I totally object to. So I wont be buying one. Surely we can pick them up from somewhere. Rant over, up the Shaymen, long live town, bring back Les Massie & Phil McCarthy.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Erik Everhard said:

I get your point. I do think the mask is the most imlortant part of PPE. 

Perhaps gloves won't be needed. 

Let's clear this up.

The masks that everyone are referring to on here are simply face coverings. Face coverings are not PPE. Face coverings are only 10-20% effective in protecting you from any airborne virus. However the current theory is that they are effective in preventing outward transmission of droplets particularly when the wearer is a carrier but asymptomatic (no cough, temp etc.) 

PPE on the other hand such as FFP3 masks should be worn by trained face fit tested  workers, strictly in health care settings only. Worn correctly they are almost 100% effective in preventing the health care worker breathing virus containing droplets in. 

The theory is that if we all wore face coverings, the virus would get trapped in the material and never become airborne. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...