Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Papa Lazarou

Liam McAlinden

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, ITMAN said:
  • So if the NL adopt the same stance as the EFL and limit squads to only 18, who would we let go? (easier to list than those we would keep)

Sadly Josh McDonald - Jack Earing - Will Appleyard - Jacob Hanson (Reluctantly) - Charlie Cooper. Having said that, we actually only have/had 20 players when we finished on 14th March and one of those was Rodney on loan. So in answer to you question, to leave us with 18, assuming Rodney returns to Salford or wherever, It would be Appleyard for me personally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ITMAN said:

Oh for the good old days, when player showed some loyalty to clubs. Unfortunately, we now live in a dog eat dog world where everyone is out to get what they can for themselves while they can - who said "loads of money" was not still relevant today.

Imagine a world where Tom Finney and Stanley Matthews left their unfashionable clubs (Preston and Blackpool) and went of to "The Smoke" purely for money and not the love of the game?

I blame Thatcher.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, TommyH72 said:

Sadly Josh McDonald - Jack Earing - Will Appleyard - Jacob Hanson (Reluctantly) - Charlie Cooper. Having said that, we actually only have/had 20 players when we finished on 14th March and one of those was Rodney on loan. So in answer to you question, to leave us with 18, assuming Rodney returns to Salford or wherever, It would be Appleyard for me personally.

Earing & Hanson are both contracted for next season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where does he go from here then? Returning to the Shay would be like coming back with his tail between his legs, not something I would expect him to contemplate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, shaymen_x said:

We have to admit he made a good contribution to the season. We certainly would be anyware near a play off place without him.

As soon as player leaves because it didn't just work out some always seem to get on their case. It's a sense of bitterness. Weird. 

Ultimately, the schadenfreude is tinged with the knowledge that McAlinden’s one of countless footballers and other employees going through the same thing. There’s a lot of potential for him still, he was mint for us and hadn’t gone near to doing a Jamie Rainford, and I don’t see why we’d be downhearted in the unlikely event that he ever came back to us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Based on what happened last season I doubt that McAlinden is the sort of player who would 'buy in' to Wild's plans for next season. He wants committed players with the right attitude.

He was signed as a stop gap because we were short of players and he was looking to put himself in the shop window.

It's a no from me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ITMAN said:

Where does he go from here then? Returning to the Shay would be like coming back with his tail between his legs, not something I would expect him to contemplate. 

The thing is though, if he got a club at this level and committed to a year or two I could easily see him be that 20 goal a season man. 20 goal a season strikers aren't easy to come across at any level tbf. 

Would I take him back here? Well, I think he is a better striker than at least one other at this club...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ITMAN said:

Oh for the good old days, when player showed some loyalty to clubs. Unfortunately, we now live in a dog eat dog world where everyone is out to get what they can for themselves while they can - who said "loads of money" was not still relevant today.

Imagine a world where Tom Finney and Stanley Matthews left their unfashionable clubs (Preston and Blackpool) and went of to "The Smoke" purely for money and not the love of the game?

It’s unreal how far it’s gone in the wrong direction, that as soon as a striker scores seven in 10 games he’s being followed everywhere by an entourage of pundits, scouts and ITKs. McAlinden got that straightaway. Hell hath no fury like a Town fan who’s noticed a striker who’s quickly notched ten goals has suddenly lost his form. If the hype machine didn’t churn half as much as it did in modern football, a player like McAlinden could’ve totted up 20+ goals for us in a complete season (ironically looking back now), would finally have a great full season on his record, and would be in a better place to sustain such form at a higher ranked club. Yet footballers see they’ll only be kicking around for a handful of years, then cash in early so their agents can.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Greggs said:

Probably got annoyed when he couldnt displace a non scoring centre forward from the only centre forward slot 

Unfortunately the non scoring CF is liked by the manager and therefore would not surprise to see him get a contract for next season.:(

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

Unfortunately the non scoring CF is liked by the manager and therefore would not surprise to see him get a contract for next season.:(

That would certainly put me off a season ticket. Not gonna do anything with him upfront. 

I had a bet with someone on here at the start of the season. It was for TSS to get 15 goals this season and I said he wouldn’t so he wanted a bet that he would get that target and the loser has to give money to a chosen charity. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

Earing & Hanson are both contracted for next season.

Both worth another for me, Earing in that we have seen none of him (and I don’t think that answers whether he should go either)and he looked like he could be a decent player with some coaching in pre season. Hanson could go back in to the squad dependant on what happens with others in the close season?..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, ITMAN said:

As the EFL are now talking about capping the size of squads, plus a salary cap, then EFL 1 and EFL 2 clubs will be shedding players left right and centre. This will have a ripple effect down the pyramid, which may in fact be a good thing as it possibly may allow NL teams to strengthen their squads and shed some of the less talented players. Of course, this is dependant on players, and their agents, having realistic expectations.

That’s key really, isn’t it. I think we might see a few players/agents being unrealistic, but I think they’ll adjust soon enough when it’s the option between that or no club at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, TJAshton said:I had a bet with someone on here at the start of the season. It was for TSS to get 15 goals this season and I said he wouldn’t so he wanted a bet that he would get that target and the loser has to give money to a chosen charity. 

Who’s to say TSS wouldn’t of got to 15 this season if we had of played the remaining games..... then again.... ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, TJAshton said:

That would certainly put me off a season ticket. Not gonna do anything with him upfront. 

I had a bet with someone on here at the start of the season. It was for TSS to get 15 goals this season and I said he wouldn’t so he wanted a bet that he would get that target and the loser has to give money to a chosen charity. 

I thought you weren’t complaining? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, TJAshton said:

That would certainly put me off a season ticket. Not gonna do anything with him upfront. 

I had a bet with someone on here at the start of the season. It was for TSS to get 15 goals this season and I said he wouldn’t so he wanted a bet that he would get that target and the loser has to give money to a chosen charity. 

Come on TJ Your season would feel like an empty vacuum if you did not have your punchbag to comment on

Seriously there will be hundreds of TSS and McAlindens and players from higher levels on the market. Some may have planned for a rainy day but many will be desperate for the security of a contract. Market forces will dictate.salaries with clubs having the upper hand over agents

McAlinden should name and shame his agent who must be on a par with Chris Grayling in negotiating contracts

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

Unfortunately the non scoring CF is liked by the manager and therefore would not surprise to see him get a contract for next season.:(

And is also the current top scorer at the club isn’t he?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Ash said:

And is also the current top scorer at the club isn’t he?

Yes he is, well along with Cam King. 6 each. But Cam made fewer appearances. 24 starts & 8 from the bench. TSS 26 starts & 10 from the bench.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TommyH72 said:

Yes he is, well along with Cam King. 6 each. But Cam made fewer appearances. 24 starts & 8 from the bench. TSS 26 starts & 10 from the bench.

Sorry, for got to add in that TSS scored 1 goal in the FA Trophy so he has 7 in total, but league wise he's joint with Cam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Wilder Bollox said:

So working on the theory that he scored 9 in the games that weren't played..............

We can laugh Bollox, but we will never know now. Thing is, I think he has the makings of a good target man. After a bright start the crowd tuned on him, just as the Shay crowd always do, and his loss of confidence was there for all to see. He's a young lad playing against wily old centre backs like Browny & Clarky and he cant handle them yet. But can he be given time, we'll see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ash said:

And is also the current top scorer at the club isn’t he?

That’s because he was a striker who played up top on his own and played the most games. I’d expect him to be top scorer no matter how poor he is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...