Sign in to follow this  
Papa Lazarou

Liam McAlinden

It certainly appeared like he had his head either turned or he got distracted after what was a very decent start for us.

The first 2/3 months he was very good for us. His goal away at Maidenhead a prime example of the sort of ability he had and the danger he could be. He was the sort of player that could just stroke the ball across goal into the opposite corner of where the keeper was, he had that cool bit of composure that set him apart from the rest.

Sadly the last couple of months for us he was poor, disinterested and in and out of the team. I stand by the fact that I think he is a quality player but we started to look a better unit and team without him than when he played. It could have been that playing out wide hampered his style a bit, so its something to consider, however I personally felt once the rumours started about FL clubs watching him his interest seemed to go. Instead of trying to step up to show what he could do and make teams take notice he seemed to just vanish. 

• Like 1

Despite his goals early doors i cant say he ever really stood out like you'd expect.

When the goals dried up he wasn't offering much elsewhere so i don't think many were upset/surprised at his departure.

Stockport wasn't ever going to be a good move for him imo, they were on the verge of takeover. Unless he made an immediate impact they could afford to look elsewhere, which is what they appear to have done.

He needs to find a club and show some loyalty because he's certainly capablenat this level but he could easily end up in National North now.

1 hour ago, greygoose said:

Despite his goals early doors i cant say he ever really stood out like you'd expect.

When the goals dried up he wasn't offering much elsewhere so i don't think many were upset/surprised at his departure.

Stockport wasn't ever going to be a good move for him imo, they were on the verge of takeover. Unless he made an immediate impact they could afford to look elsewhere, which is what they appear to have done.

He needs to find a club and show some loyalty because he's certainly capablenat this level but he could easily end up in National North now.

He was at Kidderminster for a small amount of time before he signed for us. Considering he’s local to that area, I fully expect him to sign for a team like that if we doesn’t get picked up by a FL club.

16 minutes ago, shaymen down under said:

He was at Kidderminster for a small amount of time before he signed for us. Considering he’s local to that area, I fully expect him to sign for a team like that if we doesn’t get picked up by a FL club.

I didn’t see anything that made him good enough for the football league. 

11 hours ago, ITMAN said:

Excuse my ignorance but why would you only sign a 6 month contract at the start of a 10 month season, if you did not either expect to be moving on, ot you had another offer in the wings. 

Was this a case of his agent giving him bad advice?

I think he came to put himself in the shop window not having got a club close season, and to be fair it worked for him. It's a real shame that we didn't accommodate him a bit better really, he was banging goals in for fun then something changed within our play that just isolated him.

If there is going to be a flood of players looking for clubs then I cannot see him playing above or at this level. Drop down a division, commit to a club for a season, knuckle down and prove his worth then who knows?

Lot of quite harsh comments about a player who people thought was a world beater at the start the season. Its amazing how much people know about his agent and his attitude. 

40 minutes ago, shaymen down under said:

As the EFL are now talking about capping the size of squads, plus a salary cap, then EFL 1 and EFL 2 clubs will be shedding players left right and centre. This will have a ripple effect down the pyramid, which may in fact be a good thing as it possibly may allow NL teams to strengthen their squads and shed some of the less talented players. Of course, this is dependant on players, and their agents, having realistic expectations.

Edited by ITMAN

17 minutes ago, TommyH72 said:

I think he came to put himself in the shop window not having got a club close season, and to be fair it worked for him. It's a real shame that we didn't accommodate him a bit better really, he was banging goals in for fun then something changed within our play that just isolated him.

King got “injured/ill” therefore nobody was creating for him 

brown got injured so the mid field as restructured to accommodate for that 

.. with the team be restructured due to illness and injury .. his service stopped and he was unable to create for himself 

• Like 2

We have to admit he made a good contribution to the season. We certainly would be anyware near a play off place without him.

As soon as player leaves because it didn't just work out some always seem to get on their case. It's a sense of bitterness. Weird. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, shaymen_x said:

We have to admit he made a good contribution to the season. We certainly would be anyware near a play off place without him.

As soon as player leaves because it didn't just work out some always seem to get on their case. It's a sense of bitterness. Weird. 

It's a bit like past girlfriends....who leave you of course.

7 minutes ago, ITMAN said:

It's a bit like past girlfriends....who leave you of course.

I'm the opposite. I pretend that they never existed (because mostly they didn't). 

Edited by shaymen_x
  • Sad 1

We can all think of at least one player who is far worse who turns out every week. I won't mention his name as he has already had a mega thread on here under the title of his own name. 

Oh for the good old days, when player showed some loyalty to clubs. Unfortunately, we now live in a dog eat dog world where everyone is out to get what they can for themselves while they can - who said "loads of money" was not still relevant today.

Imagine a world where Tom Finney and Stanley Matthews left their unfashionable clubs (Preston and Blackpool) and went of to "The Smoke" purely for money and not the love of the game?

24 minutes ago, shaymen_x said:

We can all think of at least one player who is far worse who turns out every week. I won't mention his name as he has already had a mega thread on here under the title of his own name. 

Is it my best mate by any chance and he came from the beautiful white cliffs of Dover? 

Don’t think he is as good a player as Josh McDonald and would give him more of a chance but that’s just my opinion. Had a good spell at the beginning of the season but was lucky in that everything he hit went in, after his luck ran out he was in and out and never really offered that much.

15 minutes ago, LeedsShaymen said:

Don’t think he is as good a player as Josh McDonald and would give him more of a chance but that’s just my opinion. Had a good spell at the beginning of the season but was lucky in that everything he hit went in, after his luck ran out he was in and out and never really offered that much.

How many chances does Josh need? He's been taking a wage up for an eternity. He never kicked on he hasn't fit in under quite a few managers.

Better squad players about.

• So if the NL adopt the same stance as the EFL and limit squads to only 18, who would we let go? (easier to list than those we would keep)