Sign in to follow this  
Papa Lazarou

Liam McAlinden

6 minutes ago, Papa Lazarou said:

Released from Stockport, grass isn't always greener 

Did we ever see the best of him at The Shay? Tended to be played out wide

If you was marking macalinden you would have a field day. He only kept running down the wing and just tried shooting with his left foot. No right foot at all and very over rated. 

Got too big for his boots

Edited by TJAshton
  • Like 2

I liked him as a player but didn't think he was a good fit for us and the system we play/ed.

If McAlinden and Rodney were both available for transfer and we could only sign one then it would be Rodney for me. We got the better of the deal at Xmas. 

In a way I almost feel sorry for him, Stockport gave up on him immediately once they realised they could get Danny Lloyd back. But yeah it's a classic case of the grass not always being greener

He signed for us on a short term contract to theNew Year. I am a bit confused if he only signed another short contract with Stockport. Would have expected him to be on at least 18 months so have they paid him off or is he made available but still under contract. 

Excuse my ignorance but why would you only sign a 6 month contract at the start of a 10 month season, if you did not either expect to be moving on, ot you had another offer in the wings. 

Was this a case of his agent giving him bad advice?

1 minute ago, ITMAN said:

Excuse my ignorance but why would you only sign a 6 month contract at the start of a 10 month season, if you did not either expect to be moving on, ot you had another offer in the wings. 

Stockport have plenty of brass. They reserved judgement and he smelt cash. 

He has something but gets found out. Like all players, being in the right team with the right players around him is key. Stockport were never going to be that, they are a couple of managers away from getting it right. He needs to settle, develop and bin his agent. 

Thought he was superb at the start of the season and he had a good record for us overall. Became invisible in the majority of games leading up to his departure, but that said i'd still have him back if the finances were right 

2 minutes ago, ArthurWeasley said:

Thought he was superb at the start of the season and he had a good record for us overall. Became invisible in the majority of games leading up to his departure, but that said i'd still have him back if the finances were right 

Have to be on a low basic wage with a win and goal bonus to top it up.

1 hour ago, ITMAN said:

The talk in the last 3 months of his deal with us was that several league teams were looking at him ready to make a bid. Off the top of my head I think Swindon was one.

We offered him a deal until the end of the season both when he signed the 6 month deal and several times during that deal. Liam (or his agent) felt he could get a FL move so didn't want to commit to the season.

It got to the point that his contract expired, yet he didn't have another club lined up. The club then put a final offer to him and while he considered it he agreed a week to week deal with us. He only played one game on the week to week (Away to Barnet) as 3 days after signing that deal our club got wind of the possibility of getting Rodney back. They then spoke to Liam/his agent and said the offer they had made was still on the table but they wanted an answer within a few days as if he wasn't interested in committing they were going to use the wages offered on him on trying to secure the Rodney deal. 

We all know what happened next. 

My assumption here is that Liam thought a FL club would come in, but one didn't. Stockport thought they had Rodney and could extend to the end of the season and when we got contact with him, they were then looking for cover. No club was in for Liam, he is a decent player, he was surplus and because we had taken one of Stockport's players, the logical thing happened and they offered a contract to Liam. With no other offer on the table Liam signed with Stockport, however again only on a short term deal as he/his agent felt he could get better terms from a FL club. 

Contrary to rumours our club never fielded a single bid for Liam - and in fairness with him being able to sign a pre-contract at any time, it looks like a classic example of his agent (Or being very foolish on Liams part) getting in his head and making him believe a better offer was incoming when non were. 

Edited by Flea
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Flea said:

The talk in the last 3 months of his deal with us was that several league teams were looking at him ready to make a bid. Off the top of my head I think Swindon was one.

I'm pretty sure Ipswich were mentioned as well

• Like 2

So he went nowhere in effect, i.e not where he really wanted to be, as he chose to take bad advice, or had an overinflated idea of his own worth and was then on the back foot in any negotiations. A bird in the hand....