TommyH72

The Big Kick Off

50 minutes ago, Papa Lazarou said:

Use your bloody common sense it's really jot difficult. Avoid public transport where you can, go out to "exercise" not sit on a beach, although to some sitting is ****ing exercise!!!! People are choosing to go down the I am not that intelligent I need to be told what to do route at the moment! Take some responsibility and use your common sense. Surely everyone knows what we have to do to help suppress the virus by now. Wash your hands, social distance and no social gatherings. 

It’s not really difficult  to follow but people just want to be arsy about it 

• Like 1

Unfortunately immaterial of which party was in the result would have been the same too many idiots in the country and the opposition cannot resist political points scoring.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Flea said:

Or if we are being cynical - 

The government are slow to respond, take "advice" to have herd mentality, then realise they have messed up (This is after the PM tells everyone its nothing to get overly worried about and is seen shaking every man and their dogs hand before getting the virus).

London gets it bad, the government realise they have cocked up, so then start to put us in lockdown. 

Herd mentality went down like a led balloon, however we get given mixed messages, told we are in a hard lockdown, yet no one enforces anything and quite a lot of people carry on as normal. We are told to isolate, keep away from each other, yet still have tons standing on bridges clapping the NHS and the likes.

The government tell us to keep alert, don't travel or go out, don't meet others. Unless you are working. Or exercising. Or want some food. Stay away from the old or the weak, unless you can't. Don't meet people from outside of your own household. Unless you are working, or out shopping, or out in the park where you should keep your distance but it might not be possible. 

We will close the schools, but keep them open. We will tell people we are in it together while we give our MPs extra allowances for working at home which cost us more than a 100 year old that is now made into a national hero for funding the NHS. We won't call out Branson and his ilk for doing sod all, but instead talk about bailing out the multinationals, because we are all in it together.

Then, when London is past its worse we will talk about getting back to normal. Yeah, areas outside of London aren't over it yet, but lets get back to normal anyway. Like, stay alert though. Don't go out in huge groups still, although go out for exercise and meet up with 6 people - although only those that are in your own household, but not those that are vulnerable. Go back to work now, unless you can't go back to work, in which case stay at home but work from home if you can, but if you can't go back anyway. 

Re open the schools, apart from those that are not going to re open as they don't view it safe. Travel again - however don't go to tourist places. Don't go to Scotland. Don't go to Wales. Use public transport again, but walk and cycle more. We are relaxing the rules, but now wear a face mask, but don't because they don't work. Or they do. 

Give so many contradicting statements, never pull anyone up for breaking any lockdown rules and then at the end you can do one of two things -  say its the publics fault because they went against the government advice, or take credit because somehow we have fluked it and some of the contradictory statements end up being correct.

So being cynical, we could say this government have made a bit of a pigs ear of it and are continuing to do so. However, they have made so many contradictory statements and confused so many people they can actually point to the correct advise and claim they told us what to do and we ignored it - because somewhere in all the statements they have got it right, but trying to work out what part of it is right isn't easy.

Who would have thought that the person most trustworthy, worth listening to and most sensible in all of this would be Nicola Sturgeon. 

Unfortunately Flea Mrs Cranky is not the answer for Scotland though. A lot still to come out over the Salmond affair I believe.

55 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

Too many don't have common sense. It's been fashionable since I was a kid at least that education is something to be scorned. When I think of the places I've lived in Halifax, and the decent hardworking people increasingly being outnumbered by dumbass families raising dumbass kids, it doesn't bode well when the country's future relies on using a little common sense.

God help us when AI takes over then, as people will have even less reason to think for themselves.

13 hours ago, Hoddie said:

Kids in Denmark have been back in school for a month. They've adapted. We could adapt if everyone involved were trying to do so instead of trying to prevent it completely.

It doesn't help that in the UK a Union's first thought is "that's wrong, we disagree with that" rather than "how can we help to make that happen to the betterment of everyone". The second thought never even comes into question.

• Like 3

The unions will decide its safe to go back when teachers pay drops to 50%

Yesterday thousands of ale carts sat together on beaches on the taxpayers dime. Might seem harsh but in my view before too long the Government needs to grow a pair and get people back to work. In truth, many won’t fancy going back to work until they absolutely have to. 

It's OK,  we're getting an extra Bank Holiday in October to reward us and of course reward our key workers . Wait a minute, key workers have to work on Bank Holidays :doh:

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Lammie said:

Yesterday thousands of ale carts sat together on beaches on the taxpayers dime. Might seem harsh but in my view before too long the Government needs to grow a pair and get people back to work. In truth, many won’t fancy going back to work until they absolutely have to. 

What they don’t realise with the furlough scheme is it’s just extended unemployment, lots won’t have jobs to go back to is the reality 

26 minutes ago, Jmc said:

What they don’t realise with the furlough scheme is it’s just extended unemployment, lots won’t have jobs to go back to is the reality 

I imagine it's being widely abused, too. I can just picture small companies up and down the land suddenly remembering employing family members since before the cut-off date. Even factoring in the tax and possible NIC and pension contributions, to then get 80% of the wage for several months more still brings a nice profit for the family.

I remember well when HMRC gifted companies a one-off £100 for administering working tax credits, back when it was added to the weekly or monthly wage, 100,000s of new PAYE schemes were set up so as to qualify for the £100. Various methods were used but usually either a Ltd Co set up with one employee - the director - earning nothing, or a newly self-employed individual with one employee working just an hour (usually a child of the family with no tax paid), but because all had a (free) PAYE scheme, all qualified for the £100 even though none of them ever paid WTC on behalf of HMRC. They jumped on it eventually but only months and several million quid later.

Just like when Childrens' Tax Credit came out and HMRC's computer systems went pop, millions and millions were given out as cash payments in a hurry, and all people had to do were turn up and claim hardship to get one, with records kept by hand, many of which were never processed or reconciled. Some people claimed multiple hardship payments before the systems came back online, and almost all never paid the money back. I worked at HMRC over a decade after this happened, and I occasionally had to deal with people who had eventually been traced and sent a bill, or those who had claimed the newer Child Tax Credit only to have their claim set o £0 because of their earlier Childrens' Tax Credit fraud.

Government hand-outs are always abused. The response is to clamp down on the hand-out, penalising the genuine ones just to get at the fraudulent ones.

4 hours ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

Unfortunately Flea Mrs Cranky is not the answer for Scotland though. A lot still to come out over the Salmond affair I believe.

I can’t stand Sturgeon. She is 100% right however on the lockdown, in my opinion. 

Edited by Flea
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Flea said:

I can’t stand Sturgeon. She is however 100% right however on the lockdown, in my opinion. 

I actually always thought that Salmond and Sturgeon were best of mates but apparently not, I agree with you up to today and she has announce a relaxing of lockdown from Monday which virtually jumps straight to phase 2 of Spain.

20 hours ago, TommyH72 said:

The reason I refer to a "bun fight" is that I have come to understand that it's you Hoddie who has the belief at all times that your opinion is correct at all times. This is evident in just about every thread that comes onto this site. So although I am well capable of holding a reasoned debate on most subjects, I really cant be bothered in this case. I strongly believe that some of the decisions being taken at this time are wrong and are endangering peoples lives. And I have stated many times within these threads that I dont have much respect for the Premiership footballers most of the time, but why oh why do people immediately bring what is a life or death situation back to money. It is not a reasoned argument to say that just because someone earns ££££££ and some key workers only earn ££, that they should have to return to work. Why should they. But the bottom line here is, I just dont agree with the sentiment of some of the threads, that's my right as I see it. 

Doesn’t everyone generally believe their opinion to be right?

Otherwise you’d just be saying something for the hell of it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jmc said:

Yes but it pays more then Universal Credit and nobody hounds you to go to job interviews for jobs that don't exist:D

On 5/20/2020 at 10:18 AM, Ash said:

7 day isolation then they are back at work, not a disaster but glad it’s been picked up.

How can football players refuse to go back to work when our NHS and key workers are risking their lives with less testing every day. 

Exactly if they will not play furlough them.Half the country has carried on working.It's only a month ago they were visiting their mates and holding lavish house parties now they are quaking in their boots when in reality they are probably the least likely to suffer badly with it.

3 hours ago, mj85 said:

Doesn’t everyone generally believe their opinion to be right?

Otherwise you’d just be saying something for the hell of it. 

I always believe in listening to reasoned debate. I have an opinion on most subjects, but I am always open to hearing what others have to say. I dont believe everything I believe in suits everyone else. But some people actually believe that whatever they write/say is the bottom line. And that's a dangerous situation. When I was a very young apprentice one of the more experienced guys I was out working with asked me if I had done a job similar to that which we were tasked with, with any of the other lads. I said I had. So he said right then, lets see what you can do. I said to him but what about how you do it, to which he replied. "Look lad, there are hundreds of ways to solve any problem, the way I do this particular job isn't necessarily the best way, it's about looking at things and choosing the options that you have acquired" 50yrs later I still dont think it's a bad way of looking at any situation. Over the years you meet and work with hundreds of people, you are tasked with loads of issues, look at everyones opinions and choose which you consider to be the best.

8 minutes ago, TommyH72 said:

I always believe in listening to reasoned debate. I have an opinion on most subjects, but I am always open to hearing what others have to say. <snip>

No you're not. You actually walk away in order to protect your buns, the moment someone posts an opinion different to your own.

Newsflash - it's a discussion forum. I'm entitled to post my opinion and then defend it and/or pick other opinions apart. Other users are entitled to do the same thing. Sometimes I'll change my opinion, more often I won't. I defy anyone to say they do otherwise.

15 minutes ago, TommyH72 said:

I always believe in listening to reasoned debate. I have an opinion on most subjects, but I am always open to hearing what others have to say. I dont believe everything I believe in suits everyone else. But some people actually believe that whatever they write/say is the bottom line. And that's a dangerous situation. When I was a very young apprentice one of the more experienced guys I was out working with asked me if I had done a job similar to that which we were tasked with, with any of the other lads. I said I had. So he said right then, lets see what you can do. I said to him but what about how you do it, to which he replied. "Look lad, there are hundreds of ways to solve any problem, the way I do this particular job isn't necessarily the best way, it's about looking at things and choosing the options that you have acquired" 50yrs later I still dont think it's a bad way of looking at any situation. Over the years you meet and work with hundreds of people, you are tasked with loads of issues, look at everyones opinions and choose which you consider to be the best.

I always say "you are never to old to learn something new". The day you think you know it all is the day to pack up and go home because there is nothing left for you to do.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

No you're not. You actually walk away in order to protect your buns, the moment someone posts an opinion different to your own.

Newsflash - it's a discussion forum. I'm entitled to post my opinion and then defend it and/or pick other opinions apart. Other users are entitled to do the same thing. Sometimes I'll change my opinion, more often I won't. I defy anyone to say they do otherwise.

My missis. Gotcha.:lol:

4 minutes ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

My missis. Gotcha.:lol:

Are we married to twin sisters.....

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

So therefore I was right. You absolutely believe that everything you say and do is correct to the detriment of all others. So therefore I personally will not get involved with you narrow mindedness. And that's my right as well.

12 minutes ago, TommyH72 said:

So therefore I was right. You absolutely believe that everything you say and do is correct to the detriment of all others. So therefore I personally will not get involved with you narrow mindedness. And that's my right as well.

What the naffing hell are you talking about? How am I narrow minded? You know what? Sod it, it's like talking to a child. Don't choke on your buns. 

8 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

What the naffing hell are you talking about? How am I narrow minded? You know what? Sod it, it's like talking to a child. Don't choke on your buns. 

There you go. Dont knock your glass of milk over when you spit your dummy out know all.

15 minutes ago, TommyH72 said:

There you go. Dont knock your glass of milk over when you spit your dummy out know all.

OK mom.