hjhj9910

Merging of League 2 and National League on a Regional basis

Wages are the main overhead, the only advantage of a North/South divide is more money to maintain those wages (a football career is short so players have to make what they can when they can) . The ambition of 3 quarters of the teams in a Northern League would be to try and stay in that league

With league one and league two clubs talking of having regionalised north and south leagues you could have the bonkers situation where we are still where we are now in a national league!

There would have to be a reorganisation down through non - league football as well so we would be back to playing more 'pub' teams which might not be that good for us but better for them!

No-one ever asks why the Third Division scrapped North and South in 1958. I doubt that it was because they wanted to increase transport costs and reduce crowds!

• Like 2

L1 and L2 merging into a North and South is a non starter as the Championship clubs will never agree to 4 down which they would have to to make promotion from the leagues work, add to that that every team currently in L1 would be reducing their ability to get promoted to the Championship the fifth richest league in Europe I believe and one step away from the promised land, because of less promotion/relegation from each division, makes it a non starter for me. 

Everything below the National League is regionalised so this would be the next rational step to merge L2 and National Leagues, the big problem would be the Southern based L2 clubs, as they know the better supported National clubs are in the North so I don’t see them agreeing. For the Northern based clubs they may well agree as the increased crowds could bring in much needed cash especially for clubs such as Oldham, Mansfield etc etc and the northern based National clubs such as ourselves. I don’t see it happening though as all the clubs down south will vote it down for the reasons the northern clubs will vote yes, why would Cambridge vote to play Bromley and the money they would get from that rather than playing say Bradford City.

Good idea but destined to fail and go nowhere. 

2 hours ago, LeedsShaymen said:

L1 and L2 merging into a North and South is a non starter as the Championship clubs will never agree to 4 down which they would have to to make promotion from the leagues work, add to that that every team currently in L1 would be reducing their ability to get promoted to the Championship the fifth richest league in Europe I believe and one step away from the promised land, because of less promotion/relegation from each division, makes it a non starter for me. 

It's not up to Championship clubs - it's a FL decision and although the Champ clubs get weighted votes, the system supposedly allows for a unanimous L1 & L2 vote to be worth more than a combined Championship vote.

The most worrying thing about recent developments is the news that 'B' teams are back on the agenda. The Premier League may tell the FL that continuing financial support may be dependent on allowing Premier clubs to adopt/own FL clubs, and regionalisation to reduce costs may well be part of this.

8 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

It's not up to Championship clubs - it's a FL decision and although the Champ clubs get weighted votes, the system supposedly allows for a unanimous L1 & L2 vote to be worth more than a combined Championship vote.

The most worrying thing about recent developments is the news that 'B' teams are back on the agenda. The Premier League may tell the FL that continuing financial support may be dependent on allowing Premier clubs to adopt/own FL clubs, and regionalisation to reduce costs may well be part of this.

What happens if a Premier League B team wins promotion to the Premier League? They can't play against their own club.

It's going the same way as rugby league 

Can’t have a situation where league 1 and2 are regionalised and we’re not , we would have to merge with conf north in that case 

1 hour ago, Erik Everhard said:

What happens if a Premier League B team wins promotion to the Premier League? They can't play against their own club.

...and if they did, the result would come under greater scrutiny.

Chelsea B (which didn’t seem to be trying) lost against Chelsea first eleven which then secured a champions league spot, for example.

a bit like formula one teams helping their fellow driver out.

Edited by Grayski

3 minutes ago, Grayski said:

...and if they did, the result would come under greater scrutiny.

Chelsea B (which didn’t seem to be trying) lost against Chelsea first eleven which then secured a champions league spot, for example.

a bit like formula one teams helping their fellow driver out.

Exactly. 

They can’t play in the same division so championship at best and if their 1st team got relegated so would they 

4 minutes ago, Jmc said:

They can’t play in the same division so championship at best and if their 1st team got relegated so would they 

It's an absolutely rediculous idea. 

would probably mean less trips to the greatest city in the world but i'd be for it -it wouldnt stop clubs paying over inflated transfer fees and wages though -giving managers more money to spend is like giving a fat person more biscuits

• Like 1

If B teams get included in our league structure I’ll stop watching football. It’s a simple as that and will dilute the quality of the game.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ash said:

If B teams get included in our league structure I’ll stop watching football. It’s a simple as that and will dilute the quality of the game.

That's why we used to have reserve team leagues set up so the big boys could give all of their players a run-out, bring them after injury etc all in a real game setup.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jmc said:

You could end up with the Championship being 80% B teams, it would totally lead to financial ruin and stagnation

The more I think about the merger the more it makes sense.

Less Travel

Higher Attendances

Solves the issue of what to do with Stevenage/Barrow/National League Play Offs

2 can go up from both the EFL North and EFL South so that the relegation spots from League One don’t need to change.

2 go down from the EFL North to the National League North and year same for the South so those promotion spots don’t change either.

As League 2 would like to promote the top 3 and play the play offs then the bottom 3 would come down from League One. It would make League Two North a very difficult league to get out of.

The novelty of playing southern teams won’t be lost as there’s always the FA Cup, League Cup and EFL Trophy.

This should have been done years ago but it makes so much sense it won’t and we will see more and more clubs disappear probably to be replaced by Bournemouth B!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ash said:

The more I think about the merger the more it makes sense.

Less Travel

Higher Attendances

Solves the issue of what to do with Stevenage/Barrow/National League Play Offs

2 can go up from both the EFL North and EFL South so that the relegation spots from League One don’t need to change.

2 go down from the EFL North to the National League North and year same for the South so those promotion spots don’t change either.

As League 2 would like to promote the top 3 and play the play offs then the bottom 3 would come down from League One. It would make League Two North a very difficult league to get out of.

The novelty of playing southern teams won’t be lost as there’s always the FA Cup, League Cup and EFL Trophy.

This should have been done years ago but it makes so much sense it won’t and we will see more and more clubs disappear probably to be replaced by Bournemouth B!

Agree with most of that, but fear the biggest stumbling block will be league restructuring every season. When 4 northern or southern clubs all get relegated in one season. All hell will break loose with midland clubs moaning like anything about having to restructure player recruitment, travel, etc if they get moved every other season.

35 minutes ago, Pliny Harris said:

Hands up if you get excited over playing Eastleigh, Bromleigh or Braintreigh.

Can't find that emoji :( I get excited about playing any team that we should (on paper) beat 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wilder Bollox said:

Can't find that emoji :( I get excited about playing any team that we should (on paper) beat 

Thing is we usually don’t. How many total wins have we got out of that lot? Probably about five from 18 or so fixtures? It just makes things worse.

2 hours ago, shaymen down under said:

Agree with most of that, but fear the biggest stumbling block will be league restructuring every season. When 4 northern or southern clubs all get relegated in one season. All hell will break loose with midland clubs moaning like anything about having to restructure player recruitment, travel, etc if they get moved every other season.

Presumably that happened in the previous version? 

I think the current environment has brought home to many involved with football just how precious the financial situation is and that the regional football option gives clubs a chance to reset.

13 minutes ago, Norm said:

Presumably that happened in the previous version? 

I think the current environment has brought home to many involved with football just how precious the financial situation is and that the regional football option gives clubs a chance to reset.

Norm, you are right this was always a reason put forward when we had regionalised divisions before. Teams such as Mansfield were sometimes dropped into the Southern section to make up the numbers. However, I think that if the Div 3 North/South looked at some form of aggregating out costs for travel expenses etc then it would mitigate the loss a Midlands team might suffer. However, as things stand there are only one or two teams which would fall into that category based on the current make up of the NL and EFL Div 2. 

At the end of the day we need a solution which is fairer to the majority of teams.

1 hour ago, ITMAN said:

Norm, you are right this was always a reason put forward when we had regionalised divisions before. Teams such as Mansfield were sometimes dropped into the Southern section to make up the numbers. However, I think that if the Div 3 North/South looked at some form of aggregating out costs for travel expenses etc then it would mitigate the loss a Midlands team might suffer. However, as things stand there are only one or two teams which would fall into that category based on the current make up of the NL and EFL Div 2. 

At the end of the day we need a solution which is fairer to the majority of teams.

We need a solution but i think things will stay the same,its expecting too much for them to make such big decisions just because its common sense, plus i dont think they like it when people give ideas

5 hours ago, Pliny Harris said:

Hands up if you get excited over playing Eastleigh, Bromleigh or Braintreigh.

no disrespect to the towns or clubs but they are places/teams I could live without playing/visiting again

• Like 3