TommyH72

Premier League

Forget what the government say about it, they're clueless and incompetent. It's not safe for the general public to be returning to work, it's not safe for footballers to return to playing. As much as I wish we could get it back, we're just not there yet. Even more than that, sending people back too early will risk making the whole thing worse and just. making it all last longer.

• Like 1

Working in a socially distanced environment is just as safe as going for your shopping.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Ash said:

Working in a socially distanced environment is just as safe as going for your shopping.

This would be true if you only worked one hour every week.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

This would be true if you only worked one hour every week.

If you are going to catch it you’ll catch it whether that’s in 5 minutes or 5 hours.

37 minutes ago, Ash said:

If you are going to catch it you’ll catch it whether that’s in 5 minutes or 5 hours.

That's obviously not true. The more and longer you expose yourself, the more chance you have of catching it.

48 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

That's obviously not true. The more and longer you expose yourself, the more chance you have of catching it.

If you are in a workplace you are with the same people. If they don’t have it you won’t catch it whether you work 5 minutes or a 12 hour shift. Also if your workplace maintain social distancing you won’t catch it either.

Saw this and felt it explained exactly what the governments lockdown strategy is:

84c1e6c6-8733-4564-a78f-cc275212e711.jpg

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Ash said:

If you are in a workplace you are with the same people. If they don’t have it you won’t catch it whether you work 5 minutes or a 12 hour shift. Also if your workplace maintain social distancing you won’t catch it either.

Seriously? Those same people could each be passing 50 others on their way to work. Their kids could be playing with neighbours. There could be contractors at work, supplies coming in from all over the place, customers, etc. There's a reason why retail staff are more at risk than customers. The same will be true for all those returning to work, to varying degrees of course. I'm not saying people shouldn't go back to work, there's a balance to be had, but I was making the point that returning to work full time gives far more exposure than going shopping once a week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ITMAN said:

Saw this and felt it explained exactly what the governments lockdown strategy is:

84c1e6c6-8733-4564-a78f-cc275212e711.jpg

Only for people who choose not to understand them. Seemed pretty clear to me 

• Like 2

Just now, Papa Lazarou said:

Only for people who choose not to understand them. Seemed pretty clear to me 

You must be the only one in the country.

Frank Spencer, sorry I mean Matt Hancock, tried to explain and answer questions. The result was so cringeworthy that it seriously made me wonder if he was taking the piss.

You know, even after all these weeks where we have witnessed first hand the devastation that this virus has cast over the whole world, I am fascinated at the sheer naivety or in some peoples cases, the sheer stupidity that is still being constantly displayed. How many people have to actually die before some will be convinced that this is a real situation. It hasn't gone away it is merely being contained slightly better than it was. Some people are just dangerous.

One thing that has popped into my mind as PL push to get football back on the agenda. A Railway Ticket Guard died yesterday due to being spat on by someone. Whats one thing that footballers do constantly, apart from buying sports cars and expensive women. The SPIT and SNOT all over the pitch, and then they roll around init. From my former life as a young healthy sporty type, I remember that when running you are spraying fine particles of saliva and sweat in all directions. So how can you play a contact sport under these conditions. Football, despite Bill Shanklys great claim, is not life or death, but it could well be. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ash said:

A bit of a long read, but this is a good, unbiased, non-political article about the risks and chances of getting infected. https://www.erinbromage.com/post/the-risks-know-them-avoid-them?fbclid=IwAR3-2hTz-UE10iugI4VuKEVGkuXGQhd0-oWYrSfpjJXlgVx2KN8IXB7aCy4

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TommyH72 said:

You know, even after all these weeks where we have witnessed first hand the devastation that this virus has cast over the whole world, I am fascinated at the sheer naivety or in some peoples cases, the sheer stupidity that is still being constantly displayed. How many people have to actually die before some will be convinced that this is a real situation. It hasn't gone away it is merely being contained slightly better than it was. Some people are just dangerous.

One thing that has popped into my mind as PL push to get football back on the agenda. A Railway Ticket Guard died yesterday due to being spat on by someone. Whats one thing that footballers do constantly, apart from buying sports cars and expensive women. The SPIT and SNOT all over the pitch, and then they roll around init. From my former life as a young healthy sporty type, I remember that when running you are spraying fine particles of saliva and sweat in all directions. So how can you play a contact sport under these conditions. Football, despite Bill Shanklys great claim, is not life or death, but it could well be. 

Don't even try to explain what the risk is if you play rugby and have to get into a scrum or a maul.....

20 minutes ago, riccardo259 said:

A bit of a long read, but this is a good, unbiased, non-political article about the risks and chances of getting infected. https://www.erinbromage.com/post/the-risks-know-them-avoid-them?fbclid=IwAR3-2hTz-UE10iugI4VuKEVGkuXGQhd0-oWYrSfpjJXlgVx2KN8IXB7aCy4

It may be a long read Riccardo259, but it is a very interesting read. And it needs reading to people who are obviously illiterate, and then explaining to them because there are several "big" words in there. People are going to continue to die, and as far as football is concerned, it's only when, god forbid, a Jamie Vardy or Mo Salha are in hospital fighting for their lives, will some people realise how stupid this current proposal really is. Pandering to the big money people is going to kill.

21 minutes ago, TommyH72 said:

It may be a long read Riccardo259, but it is a very interesting read. And it needs reading to people who are obviously illiterate, and then explaining to them because there are several "big" words in there. People are going to continue to die, and as far as football is concerned, it's only when, god forbid, a Jamie Vardy or Mo Salha are in hospital fighting for their lives, will some people realise how stupid this current proposal really is. Pandering to the big money people is going to kill.

I don't agree. People die all the time from one thing or another. Sure, there's a pandemic right now, but if we stay locked up then more will die because our economy will be ferked. There'll be no money for food, no money for healthcare and medicines. We have to strike a balance. It's as I said yesterday, now they know the NHS has the capacity to deal with more people than the peak we just had, they were bound to open it up.

And forgive me, but if players want to keep getting paid, they need to start returning to work. Why do they get special treatment but the guy working at Tesco, or the lass at the dry cleaners and the self-employed all have to work because they don't have a choice?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

That's not what the Sussex police said at the time, there was a big fall out between the Sussex police and the pps.

Yeah, i read something the other day about it. 

Didn't he have a decent alibi? 

I cant remembwr exactly. but it certainly wasnt a cover up from Starmers end. 

I never thought I'd say this, but can we pay more attention to Nicola Sturgeon and follow her advice. 

It is my opinion that she has got the current guidance pretty much spot on. Everywhere that has eased a lockdown has seen an immediate spike in cases/deaths. We are still posting up way too many deaths each day to be considering an ease on restrictions in my view. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

I don't agree. People die all the time from one thing or another. Sure, there's a pandemic right now, but if we stay locked up then more will die because our economy will be ferked. There'll be no money for food, no money for healthcare and medicines. We have to strike a balance. It's as I said yesterday, now they know the NHS has the capacity to deal with more people than the peak we just had, they were bound to open it up.

And forgive me, but if players want to keep getting paid, they need to start returning to work. Why do they get special treatment but the guy working at Tesco, or the lass at the dry cleaners and the self-employed all have to work because they don't have a choice?

Of course people die all the time, that's the one guaranteed thing that is going to happen from the moment you are born. But you dont it invite the grim reaper through the door. Listen, everyones got different opinions on this subject and we are no different. I believe it's morally wrong at this moment in time to FORCE people back to work. The only reason the vast majority are choosing that path is purely down to money/losing their job!! But you are wrong, people do have a choice, unfortunately they are being forced to make the wrong choice. If a poll was held this afternoon as to whether the vast majority felt it was safe to go back to work, I would wager a large chunk of my next seasons ticket money that it would favour a no return. Actually look at Fleas thread above, that is the truth right there.

1 hour ago, riccardo259 said:

A good read mate,was on the news the other day that if someone sneezes in a supermarket it can spread 3 aisle due to the air conditioning blowing the fine virus particles,so the 2 metre rule won't save u catching the virus in that situation.

I now use a face mask when shopping as there's that many idiots that dont give a sh#t and clean my shopping with anti bacterial wipes when I return home.  

58 minutes ago, TommyH72 said:

Of course people die all the time, that's the one guaranteed thing that is going to happen from the moment you are born. But you dont it invite the grim reaper through the door. Listen, everyones got different opinions on this subject and we are no different. I believe it's morally wrong at this moment in time to FORCE people back to work. The only reason the vast majority are choosing that path is purely down to money/losing their job!! But you are wrong, people do have a choice, unfortunately they are being forced to make the wrong choice. If a poll was held this afternoon as to whether the vast majority felt it was safe to go back to work, I would wager a large chunk of my next seasons ticket money that it would favour a no return. Actually look at Fleas thread above, that is the truth right there.

That’s the key thing, though, isn’t it. If people are happy to go back to work the then fine, but nobody should be made to work in an environment that they feel is unsafe.

If no one should be forced back to work then people also shouldn’t be forced not to work - discuss.

1 hour ago, TommyH72 said:

I meant people die all the time from avoidable things. The government could make driving illegal, sex illegal, boxing and most sports illegal, going out in the snow illegal, construction illegal, flying illegal, etc. etc. The point I'm making is that you need to find a balance. It's all well and good saying people would rather stay home than go to work, but surely that's true for most people most of the time anyway?

Like it or not, we take risks all the time with everything we do. We could be living with Covid-19 forever and we need to come to terms with that.

There's one thing for sure - we can't seriously expect the government to continue paying 80% of people's wages so they can sit at home, while others ("key workers") go out to work 40+ hour weeks, and many of them for minimum wage or not much higher. If we knew a vaccine would be available on x date, then maybe, but we don't.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

I meant people die all the time from avoidable things. The government could make driving illegal, sex illegal, boxing and most sports illegal, going out in the snow illegal, construction illegal, flying illegal, etc. etc. The point I'm making is that you need to find a balance. It's all well and good saying people would rather stay home than go to work, but surely that's true for most people most of the time anyway?

Like it or not, we take risks all the time with everything we do. We could be living with Covid-19 forever and we need to come to terms with that.

There's one thing for sure - we can't seriously expect the government to continue paying 80% of people's wages so they can sit at home, while others ("key workers") go out to work 40+ hour weeks, and many of them for minimum wage or not much higher. If we knew a vaccine would be available on x date, then maybe, but we don't.

Damn right. Things have to return to a near normal state as soon as they can - by that I don't mean decisions should be rushed regardless of health concerns etc., I mean they must find a way to do it as quickly as is possible to do so, or else by the time we come out of this 12 month lockdown that some people seem to think is required (based on waiting for a vaccine that might never even be successfully produced) there won't be an economy, jobs etc. to even return to.

• Like 2