Jump to content
shaymen down under

Season Tickets 20/21

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

You will be Ostracised,,,I have been advocating this for years.:o

It would help if we knew whether of our  regular first team squad have any reasonable capabilities in goal, in case of injuries during matches.

Edited by rdj
?
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

You will be Ostracised,,,I have been advocating this for years.:o

So have I Steve. Should anything happen to our keeper during the season, whoever it may be, there are plenty of keepers out there to be brought in on loan.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Problem is, there are some teams that if they knew we had no sub keeper would intentionally get one of their lads to leave something on our number one to see if it gave us a problem. The likes of Eastleigh / Boreham and Yeovil would have done this for sure this season had they known. Imagine we are in with a shout for a playoff or even title and our season came to an end because our keeper is taken out and we are forced to put a midfielder in goal. 

The other issue is there are so many things that could go on in the 24/48 hours before a match  - like a bereavement, an illness, an injury, etc. - that would mean our number one may have to drop out at short notice.

I've no idea what Appleyard was getting wage wise but I would *assume* he wasn't on a great deal. A youngster brought in for back up, I'd be shocked if he was on more than £400 a week. 

For me, having a back up keeper is a must, as its one of those things you never need until the time you don't have one. It also provides us with options should the number one run foul of club rules, or is in poor form etc... If you were the only keeper at the club you could be in terrible form, yet you know you are playing. A back up keeper means we have that option at all times. 

Edited by Flea

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Answer the above by saying Peter Downsborough Was playing CF when keeper injured so covered in goal the rest is history, if keeper ill or injure 24 hours before Loan keeper in £400 is £20k in the pot. I think last time we needed a keeper at short notice we had to bring Morgan in at the last minute, Cambridge away as reserve keeper went to a wedding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have always said that my dream job was as a backup goalkeeper for a PL team. You only have to play in League Cup games and the rest of the time get to have a snooze on a Saturday afternoon, and get paid a great wedge of dosh.:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Flea said:

Problem is, there are some teams that if they knew we had no sub keeper would intentionally get one of their lads to leave something on our number one to see if it gave us a problem. The likes of Eastleigh / Boreham and Yeovil would have done this for sure this season had they known. Imagine we are in with a shout for a playoff or even title and our season came to an end because our keeper is taken out and we are forced to put a midfielder in goal. 

The other issue is there are so many things that could go on in the 24/48 hours before a match  - like a bereavement, an illness, an injury, etc. - that would mean our number one may have to drop out at short notice.

I've no idea what Appleyard was getting wage wise but I would *assume* he wasn't on a great deal. A youngster brought in for back up, I'd be shocked if he was on more than £400 a week. 

For me, having a back up keeper is a must, as its one of those things you never need until the time you don't have one. It also provides us with options should the number one run foul of club rules, or is in poor form etc... If you were the only keeper at the club you could be in terrible form, yet you know you are playing. A back up keeper means we have that option at all times. 

Sorry Flea, couldn't disagree more. Your whole point is based on if's & maybe's. You could argue the same point for virtually every position on the team. Look how the lose of Browny cost us so much this last season. Losing kosy for a long period a couple of seasons ago cost us points for sure. I feel absolutely certain that had anything happened to Big Sam this last season, PW would have brought a loan keeper in. If he had been injured mid game or sent off etc, Appleyard would have gone on, but having seen the lad play twice in the WRCC I can assure you that he is a long way from being ready for 1st team football at this level let alone higher.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sparrow said:

So have we come to the conclusion that you all have to get your season ticket ordered then?

Yes, just bought mine. I will see how things go in terms of when we actually get to go back to being in the Shay for a game before I decide on whether I want a second one for friends/family. Compared to £340 the season before this then it is still a good buy.

Edited by ITMAN
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, TommyH72 said:

Sorry Flea, couldn't disagree more. Your whole point is based on if's & maybe's. You could argue the same point for virtually every position on the team. Look how the lose of Browny cost us so much this last season. Losing kosy for a long period a couple of seasons ago cost us points for sure. I feel absolutely certain that had anything happened to Big Sam this last season, PW would have brought a loan keeper in. If he had been injured mid game or sent off etc, Appleyard would have gone on, but having seen the lad play twice in the WRCC I can assure you that he is a long way from being ready for 1st team football at this level let alone higher.

Its all about opinions at the end of the day. I personally feel if we have a dedicated back up for the keeper that is on a low wage it is of worth. While I get your point re Brown, its a bit different with outfield players rather than a specialist position. 

TBF the WRCC games this year were poor, however we seem to go into them with token effort so its a bit harsh to judge on those games. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder how important it is to have two proper goalkeepers in training sessions both for the team as a whole and in training the first choice goalkeeper and providing him with at least some competition for his place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Flea said:

Its all about opinions at the end of the day. I personally feel if we have a dedicated back up for the keeper that is on a low wage it is of worth. While I get your point re Brown, its a bit different with outfield players rather than a specialist position. 

TBF the WRCC games this year were poor, however we seem to go into them with token effort so its a bit harsh to judge on those games. 

Not at all Flea, the two games are the opportunity for fringe players to shine and give the manager food for thought. I dont know if you attended the two games, I did, and I can tell you without a shadow of doubt that had we needed a keeper for the following Saturday the young lad would not have been in contention, PW would have brought a keeper in on loan and the lad would have been back on the bench. He is not good enough for this level. He needs to go to a lower league and gain a lot more experience. If I went to a game a looked at the team sheet and he was on there as our keeper for the day I would have no confidence whatsoever.

And whereas I do agree to an extent your comment r.e. Browny etc, the fact that Staunton moved to that position, moving him out of his normal position proves beyond a doubt that every position on the field is a specialist position these days. It might be easier to get a player to slot in somewhere for a game or two, but in the main you need like for like players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hands Off The Shay said:

I wonder how important it is to have two proper goalkeepers in training sessions both for the team as a whole and in training the first choice goalkeeper and providing him with at least some competition for his place.

We do apparently have a Goalkeeping coach, I say apparently because theres many a time I'm left scratching my head as to what they must work on during the week. A starting point might be distribution. I can see your point i.e. competition for places, but the answer there is for the manager to make it know that his place isn't guaranteed, as I keep saying, there are loads of lads out there looking for work. And there will be loads of League clubs looking to get game time for their keepers.  Remember, we dont have a B-team, so such as Appleyard played two competitive games and sat on his ass for 37 league games and the other cup games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the young lad was a Fullarton signing so maybe we could have a more experienced number 2 next season but I would not want it to be a regular thing to start games without a keeper on the bench.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Papa Lazarou said:

Someone has donated £600 to the club to allow the 50th 100th 200th 250th and 300th person you buy a season ticket will get it for £199. A great effort! I just hope it's someone who genuinely is struggling to find the £299 on each occasion 

Expect more demands to see the ticket counter than ever.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As an incentive to by a season ticket, I think the time is right to include the subscription to Shaymen player for free for the length of the season. If games have to be played behind closed doors to start with, these could be streamed live, subject to approval by the relevant authorities. Or if this is not possible you would get the highlights content as usual and maybe extra revenue could be gained from perimeter advertising within camera shot.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t know if anyone wants cheering up but Grimsby have put the highlights on their Twitter from when they beat us 7-0. :)

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Flea said:

Feels like I can cope with that since I have highlights of us winning 1-0 against them at some ground in London one time. 

15 love...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/18/2020 at 3:55 PM, Pliny Harris said:

Has a video of Matty Brown explaining why this season ticket offer is the cat’s pyjamas been leaked yet?

am doing nowt until i receive the professional advice off Karen on Facebook

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/18/2020 at 5:07 PM, Papa Lazarou said:

I know of 4 people who bought a season ticket last season who havent had one before, and one of those hadn't been a regular at The Shay for over 10 years. Let's hope the £299 doesn't put them off for next season.

no further questions your honour!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, vinnyweknuts said:

am doing nowt until i receive the professional advice off Karen on Facebook

I'm sure action fraud would be all over anything illegal! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, vinnyweknuts said:

am doing nowt until i receive the professional advice off Karen on Facebook

I’d speak to the manager if I were you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given the VAT element of the season ticket is over £43 the club is only getting over £250 from each sale. Whereas previous regimes may have used the £43 we are currently operating correctly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...