Fair warning! All off-topic posts will be moved to off-topic section once we have confirmed dates for play-offs. ×
shaymen down under

Season Tickets 20/21

Has a video of Matty Brown explaining why this season ticket offer is the cat’s pyjamas been leaked yet?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ash said:

Correct! We should have a live tracker and a target. Same offer this year would have sold 2000 tickets quite easily.

You really think so? I suspect all we did last season was tie in regular pay on the gate types into season ticket holders for a season, which will have lost us money on regular Saturday games, but prob made us money on Tuesday games as they prob wouldn’t have attended as many of them if they were pay on gate.

Really doubt we would have sold many more than last season.

Suggest last year a counter on the website 

that at the sale of 100 tickets those ticket holders go into a draw for a signed football 

at 200 a free hospitality lunch for two 

at 300 a framed shirt 

those who buy early get to play in multiple draws 

anything you can do to  create interest, club weren’t interested 

think it were have sold a few more and had people buying quicker 

still hope the club do it this year 

Edited by Nick
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ash said:

Correct! We should have a live tracker and a target. Same offer this year would have sold 2000 tickets quite easily.

Not a chance 2000 ST would have sold this time!

Last season was slightly more entertaining than it was under JF but still not great after the 1st month or so. To suggest we would have gained hundreds of extra ST sales off the back of it is ridiculous.

Its a big increase in price but the club has to have certain levels of ncome and clearly cant afford to let fans watch games for £8 (even less if you factor in free kids).

Think the biggest issue is OAPs paying full whack as isn't it £15 on a match day for them? If so only saving £2 per game isn't much at all and only allows you to miss a few before being out of profit.

Not great? We were never out of the top 6! We came unstuck against teams parking the bus. That’s all. Not sure what you all expect at National League level. 

Guarantee if we had won the league some would have said ‘ah yes but the standards so poor this season that’s why!’

• Like 1

There are too many unknowns to be able to make a subjective observation. First of, was the number of ST sold last season just current fans who paid on the day the season before taking advantage of the offer? How many of the ST sold at £199 were to "new" fans?

It is clear from the attendance numbers, that the average home attendance went up last season by around 38%, now if the ST went mainly to existing fans who were just changing from pay on the day to having a cheap ST, then it does not explain the increase in numbers. It looks on paper that we did draw in a number of "new" fans.

Midweek matches were better attended than the previous season, this may well be explained by the fact that ST holders, who may or may not have attended were counted. Whereas if they were likely to miss the midweek games previously, and we did not get their money through the gate, we saw lower numbers for midweek games the previous season. 

All in all it appears we did have a higher number of spectators, whether ST holders or pay on the day fans.

• Like 1

It was my first season ticket last year after attending over 20 years

I know of 4 people who bought a season ticket last season who havent had one before, and one of those hadn't been a regular at The Shay for over 10 years. Let's hope the £299 doesn't put them off for next season.

Edited by Papa Lazarou

1 hour ago, shaymen down under said:

You really think so? I suspect all we did last season was tie in regular pay on the gate types into season ticket holders for a season, which will have lost us money on regular Saturday games, but prob made us money on Tuesday games as they prob wouldn’t have attended as many of them if they were pay on gate.

You dont think trying an offer like that after a season like the one we have had would have had a greater impact than doing it after the most boring tedious home season imaginable. The circumstances were bang off for that offer last year as much as the regulars enjoyed it. Much better this year and we have bottled it rather than following through. 

Edited by Greggs

59 minutes ago, Ash said:

Not great? We were never out of the top 6! We came unstuck against teams parking the bus. That’s all. Not sure what you all expect at National League level. 

Guarantee if we had won the league some would have said ‘ah yes but the standards so poor this season that’s why!’

We were out of the top 6 from 7th December / 25th January. Pretty damn good I'd say.

58 minutes ago, Wilder Bollox said:

Take away CV19 and we'd probably still be on the same deal as last season . But it is what it is

Personally I think £299 is still a good deal.

2 minutes ago, Bill Atkins said:

Bought my first season ticket ever last year after supporting the club for over sixty years. Presumably we cannot substain a managed loss of 100k every year hence the season ticket increase Told my wife it was a 50% increase she said it was extortionate therefore I will not be buying one from our joint account I will have to use my own account

Good lad Bill

You don’t get a true picture on this message board as it is read by die-hard fans who love the club. Trouble is they number about 700/800 and less than 500 of them will get a season ticket if we consider the take up before last year’s cut price deal and all the current uncertainty. I can’t see home fans averaging much more than 1,200 and a cold winter night game could see less than 900 especially if we are struggling on our “competitive” budget which DB and managers have said is less than half of some other clubs. The gate price is too high for non die-hard fans in a stadium devoid of atmosphere and I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s East stand only next season. No cup windfalls, no transfer fee income and the fans have to pick up the bill. The club is swimming up stream against the odds to stay in this division and a return to the Football League is dreamland. That’s the reality of FC Hx Town.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

£299 is still a good deal end of. It’s £13 a game and you can still get kids in free. Still a good price 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TJAshton said:

£299 is still a good deal end of. It’s £13 a game and you can still get kids in free. Still a good price 

Ita a good deal for die hards. We all ain't getting any younger. We need some new fans..is a new fan going to pay £299? 

A 50% rise is not good.

If your Gym membership went up from £19 to £29 would you stay there?

If your rent went up from 400 to 600 would you stay there?

Last years deal was fantastic and got some new and old fans into the habit of going to the Shay again. All this will do is take them away again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ash said:

Well if it was a great season we'll have no problem shifting plenty season tickets willl we? Not sure why your so concerned.

We lost 7 of 20 home games and  were unconvincing much of the season so to me we would not have sold 2000 based on performances.

Thankfully inlike JF Wild admits he's made mistakes so i have hope we can continue to improve with him.

Edited by greygoose

Rather than see £299 in the context of last season, imagine that last season was a bonus and instead see it in the context of the season before. People are of course right when they say it won't encourage new supporters, but for now at least the club has more important issues to contend with.

Nobody knows how next season will go. We don't know how many supporters are vulnerable and will choose to stay away, or the total number who will choose to avoid large gatherings because of lingering Covid-19 fears or lack of a vaccine. We don't know which league we'll be in, when the season will start or what the squad will look like.

The club's priority right now must surely be survival. Gifting massive reductions in order to entice a new generation of supporters can wait another 2-3 years. Where the hell were all you people criticising the club's lack of movement in this direction for the first 10 years of this BoD's tenure? I'll tell you where you were, busy having a dig at me for raising those exact concerns. Funny how things change when there's your own cash involved huh?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, shaymen down under said:

The theory does not stand up. If all we did was convert existing supporters to have a ST instead of paying on the gate then attendances would have stayed the same. I agree that if that was the case then the club would have been losing out.

26 minutes ago, TommyH72 said:

Personally I think £299 is still a good deal.

Just been looking back at our last/current season stats:-

Played League Home Games:-  20

Average Gate:-  2,141.65

Total People in Shay:-  42,833 - (Obviously I have no idea how many of these were away supporters)

Cost per game to ST Holders:-  £9.95 per game

So, even if something went tits up in the next season and we only played 20 home games it would only be £14.95 per game, a saving of £5.05 per game of £101.00.

If out of the average of 2141 lets say 300 were away supporters (only guessing), that leaves 1841 regular supporters. Lets take a punt here and hope we can sell 1200 ST's, that would get the club £358,800.00. Then theres the matchday top up of 900 x £20.00 = £18,000 x 20 = is a further £360,000.00 in gate receipts.

So, £718,800.00. :- This then has to be adjusted by the cheaper tickets and gate receipts, possibly 1/3??? Would leave £479,200.00. If we said that we had a Club staff of 30, that's £15,973.33 per staff member per the contract length, or £307.17 per wk over 52 wks.  No where near enough to cover basic wages let alone anything else.

I wonder what percentage of people will buy a season ticket at the new price of £299.

I tried setting up a poll to see what people thought, but can't do one of my phone due to security?but can set up a normal thread?.

Does eneybody want to set up a poll and give MRB a general idea of what fans think, and maybe he will have a rethink and do a early bird price.

1 hour ago, Ash said:

A 50% rise is not good.

If your Gym membership went up from £19 to £29 would you stay there?

If your rent went up from 400 to 600 would you stay there?

Last years deal was fantastic and got some new and old fans into the habit of going to the Shay again. All this will do is take them away again.

You keep banging on about how great last season was and what a season it was I’m sure ticket sales will increase massively 

I will be buying a season ticket with my credit card. What will happen to football outside the Premier League  is an unknown. When will it start what will it look when can we go to matches again. 

A lot of unknowns, at least paying  with my credit card means I won't  lose  my money.