Fair warning! All off-topic posts will be moved to off-topic section once we have confirmed dates for play-offs. ×
Shaymen Stats

6th May 2000: Goodbye to the East Stand

Remember the game and the massive following but can’t remember them in the skircoat , must have had a bang on the  head 

13 hours ago, kit said:

When I started going to t' Shay, that stand had only two stanchions to each side of the tunnel. It was extended slightly toward Hunger Hill and quite a bit more toward the Bus Garage end sometime during the seventies or eighties, and extra seating put in (maybe some on each side?).

Hoddie's recollection re the Crutch attacker is correct. Think it was Tim Gregory following a 4 - 0 defeat to Woking when Dean Martin was sent off. Ref deserved it!

John Francis and Paul Stoneman were the ones sent off.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sparrow said:

It was around 1990 think andy Watson scored to equalise 

It was a 2-2 draw. Brian Butler scored with a volley to make it -2. There's video footage somewhere. April 1990. Day of the Grand National, if memory serves me right. I certainly remember standing on the banking at the bus garage end.

13 hours ago, shaykehands said:

Was it Jim Brown? Can never remember who was in charge and when in those few years.  On the day Bob Walker allowed some of us us to take some 'souvenirs' from the old stand.  Ive got the wooden back of a Directors seat pinned up on my hallway.  

My recollection is quite vivid. On the Tuesday of that week I was in the changing rooms having just played five-a-side when this fella walked in waving a piece of paper, shouting, 'Where is he?', meaning Jim Brown. He looked like he was going to kill him. All club officials of teams taking part in the Sunday junior finals had received a letter either that day or the day before informing them that The Shay would not be in use and everything was being shifted to Roils Head. He said the kids were heartbroken. Bob Walker was chairman then, but Jim Brown I guess must have been involved because he had the contacts for demolition, and that's whose name was on the letter he had. 

2 hours ago, Riders of Rohan said:

Definitely Grimsby. They surprised everyone by bringing loads of fans and they took over the ground. 

Agreed. I was in the main stand and had some dickhead sat in front of me with a black and white scarf round his head pretending he was Rambo. Thankfully he had no firearms.

14 minutes ago, Shaymus said:

My recollection is quite vivid. On the Tuesday of that week I was in the changing rooms having just played five-a-side when this fella walked in waving a piece of paper, shouting, 'Where is he?', meaning Jim Brown. He looked like he was going to kill him. All club officials of teams taking part in the Sunday junior finals had received a letter either that day or the day before informing them that The Shay would not be in use and everything was being shifted to Roils Head. He said the kids were heartbroken. Bob Walker was chairman then, but Jim Brown I guess must have been involved because he had the contacts for demolition, and that's whose name was on the letter he had. 

Sounds about right, especially as it sat rusting for 10 or so years after.

13 minutes ago, Bubba said:

Agreed. I was in the main stand and had some dickhead sat in front of me with a black and white scarf round his head pretending he was Rambo. Thankfully he had no firearms.

You would of proberly been with our kid gav

3 hours ago, Guido said:

It was known as the Patron's stand.

3 hours ago, Riders of Rohan said:

Never called it the East stand, always known as the Patrons stand. Watched the Man City cuptie from it. 

Ah nice for it to have an 'official' name :) glad it once more brought back memories good and bad for fellow supporters. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Guido said:

Used to sit in their with my dad. A cheeky half time libation in the 100 Club?

18 minutes ago, chadders said:

A cheeky half time libation in the 100 Club?

Thats all youve ever been able to handle :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, chadders said:

Used to sit in their with my dad. A cheeky half time libation in the 100 Club?

You can't be far off the 100 Club yourself now Terry :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Guido said:

me and a few mates used to call it the park drive stand i'm convinced at some point it had an advert for park drive cigarettes but have looked at old photos ant it was park motors 

48 minutes ago, Bubba said:

Thats all youve ever been able to handle :D

least i don't fall asleep half way through the cricket on a stag do :shh:

42 minutes ago, Wilder Bollox said:

He talks a good drink :lol:

I drink a good talk

17 minutes ago, Guido said:

You can't be far off the 100 Club yourself now Terry :P

Harsh ;)