Jump to content
Shaymen Stats

6th May 2000: Goodbye to the East Stand

Recommended Posts

22 minutes ago, Shaymen Stats said:

06-05-2000 Halifax Town 0-1 Macclesfield Town 7

think the only time went in there was when we were displaced out of the Skircoat due to playing "big clubs" can remember that against Wolves in 74 and perhaps Sheff Utd? I always thought it was the Patrons Stand unless these lockdown breakfast buckfasts are affecting my memory!

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Used to stand behind the goal and would walk to the east stand under the cover if it rained. I only have a couple of memories to be honest, first was the 'last home game ever' against Kidderminster that Shaymen Stats put on here the other day - the Kiddie fans in the away block to the left singing "there'll always be the Shaymen" as we crowded around the tunnel, and the second was seeing a Town fan standing to the side of the tunnel use his crutch to whack a ref in the head as the teams left the field of play.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to stand with my dad in the late seventies in the small standing area directly behind the opposition bench. I witnessed some interesting banter (sledging comes close). 

Edited by shaymen_x

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hoddie said:

Used to stand behind the goal and would walk to the east stand under the cover if it rained. I only have a couple of memories to be honest, first was the 'last home game ever' against Kidderminster that Shaymen Stats put on here the other day - the Kiddie fans in the away block to the left singing "there'll always be the Shaymen" as we crowded around the tunnel, and the second was seeing a Town fan standing to the side of the tunnel use his crutch to whack a ref in the head as the teams left the field of play.

Hadn't realised this. Always been a Kiddy fan now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jim Brown insisted that the bulldozers moved in an hour after end of game.  All junior finals due to be played the following day were switched to Roils Head. Why Brown did this I have more idea. It was the measure of the man. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Pliny Harris said:

Hadn't realised this. Always been a Kiddy fan now.

Yeah, their secretary kinda spoiled it in 98 by saying we wouldn't win the title there. Wasn't his best prediction. But I always had a respect for their fans after that day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Shaymus said:

Jim Brown insisted that the bulldozers moved in an hour after end of game.  All junior finals due to be played the following day were switched to Roils Head. Why Brown did this I have more idea. It was the measure of the man. 

Was it Jim Brown? Can never remember who was in charge and when in those few years.  On the day Bob Walker allowed some of us us to take some 'souvenirs' from the old stand.  Ive got the wooden back of a Directors seat pinned up on my hallway.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, shaykehands said:

Was it Jim Brown? Can never remember who was in charge and when in those few years.  On the day Bob Walker allowed some of us us to take some 'souvenirs' from the old stand.  Ive got the wooden back of a Directors seat pinned up on my hallway.  

Didn't a fan bring his works vehicle and take a few seat for his garden

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, eddie said:

Didn't a fan bring his works vehicle and take a few seat for his garden

Yeah nowt like taking industrial cutting equipment to a home game!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I started going to t' Shay, that stand had only two stanchions to each side of the tunnel. It was extended slightly toward Hunger Hill and quite a bit more toward the Bus Garage end sometime during the seventies or eighties, and extra seating put in (maybe some on each side?).

Hoddie's recollection re the Crutch attacker is correct. Think it was Tim Gregory following a 4 - 0 defeat to Woking when Dean Martin was sent off. Ref deserved it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to sit in there during reserve games only. I used love watching the reserves, might have a hundred or so there but it was the original ITK crowd. Great Times. I bet Shaymus used to go. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can remember sitting in there when my mate hot some free tickets. He was playing for the juniors or had trials or something like that and was given some freebies. 

Anyway, it was when Colin Blain was playing for Town (not sure if I've spelt it right) and me and my mate were chatting to each other and laughing at how bad he was. 

Anyway, unbeknownst to us, just in front of where we were sat was several mbers of his family. Sisters and I think his parents too. One of them said that's our brother you're slagging off. 

A very embarrassing moment but even Colin himself said he wasn't up to that level and he only got a contract because he gave other players a lift to training. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can remember been in there a few times..grimsby came and took our main stand we drew 2-2 I think..when final whistle went about 1000 grimsby ran over pitch towards us.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t remember Grimsby being given the skircoat definitely remember Burnley and Sheffield Utd , used to go in east stand occasionally from hunger hill end and stand at the front 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never called it the East stand, always known as the Patrons stand. Watched the Man City cuptie from it. 

Remember one game against Bradford city when two woman started fighting in it. It was normally a safe haven but not that day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Guido said:

It was known as the Patron's stand.

Yes for the rich & wealthy I can just imaging your Pete being in there.:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Riders of Rohan said:

Never called it the East stand, always known as the Patrons stand. Watched the Man City cuptie from it. 

Remember one game against Bradford city when two woman started fighting in it. It was normally a safe haven but not that day. 

You've got a good memory that's going back a few years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Sparrow said:

Can remember been in there a few times..grimsby came and took our main stand we drew 2-2 I think..when final whistle went about 1000 grimsby ran over pitch towards us.

 

 

 

I think might have been Hull not Grimsby? I think the ref was Mike Peck, who lived next door to my auntie in Kendal. He said the atmosphere was very uncomfortable and quite scary. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Jmc said:

Don’t remember Grimsby being given the skircoat definitely remember Burnley and Sheffield Utd , used to go in east stand occasionally from hunger hill end and stand at the front 

It was around 1990 think andy Watson scored to equalise 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sparrow said:

It was around 1990 think andy Watson scored to equalise 

Definitely grimsby it was full of fish:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Erik Everhard said:

I can remember sitting in there when my mate hot some free tickets. He was playing for the juniors or had trials or something like that and was given some freebies. 

Anyway, it was when Colin Blain was playing for Town (not sure if I've spelt it right) and me and my mate were chatting to each other and laughing at how bad he was. 

Anyway, unbeknownst to us, just in front of where we were sat was several mbers of his family. Sisters and I think his parents too. One of them said that's our brother you're slagging off. 

A very embarrassing moment but even Colin himself said he wasn't up to that level and he only got a contract because he gave other players a lift to training. 

It's funny, when I was thinking of reserves two players came to mind. Colin Blain, because he always put in a good shift and looked like he would be something. Then Jimmy Mcilraith who clearly didn't appreciate being put in the reserves and cloned about at every opportunity. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

You've got a good memory that's going back a few years.

Sadly I can remember events 40 or 50 years ago but don’t ask me what I had for tea yesterday. 

Definitely Grimsby. They surprised everyone by bringing loads of fans and they took over the ground. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...