A brief statement from Boreham Wood Chairman

43 minutes ago, chadders said:

Took some reading, it's nearly as log as War and Peace but he's been quite candid and pretty honest. 

It really doesn't look good for Non League football. I think a few clubs might fold before another ball is kicked and Pete Wild's hopes of playing in the play offs are not going to materialise, well, mot this year anyway. 

It's looking like no end to this season and next season scrapped too. 

With a bit of luck we'll start again in 21/22 season. At least the crowds should be up and the first game back should be a decent crowd. 

• Like 1

Well I think the league are meeting today to discuss the play off thing. They need to grow a pair, be realistic and accept that football isn't coming back for a very long time. 

I know some people cling on to the hope because they miss football but I'm sorry. Get real and accept it. You might not like it but its tough. Life isn't fair. 

Like this bloke says. How can he get his stadium, all the players, possibly fans safe? The price of testing would wipe us out and we simply cannot afford. A player might test clear one day, catch it later that evening at the supermarket and pass it on. Tests take 24 hrs for results so unless we quarantine players in individual "cells" which again will be at some cost, it's not going to happen.  

I'm no expert in viruses. I don't know how bad this thing mutates, how many strains or sod all. 

I'm just prepared for the long haul. It's a b*stard and it upsets me but id rather people stay alive. Let's not jump the gun over the need to get recreational activities back.  

• Like 3

The leagues are holding fire until the government makes the decision for them . This is the only way the can extinguish all attempts of legal action . I suspect the horse racing in Paris idea is of a similar vein, deep down they hope the government will step in and say this is not going to happen . It's time for the governments of the world to grow some balls and honour their promise in March that nobody will lose out financially as a result of a situation that we have no control over . It's the same with the lockdowns, governments want mass rebellion so that they can pass the book and say to the public it's all your fault that this is still raging out of control . Never the fault of the governments that have shown lack of direction and failed to properly use the police and armed services 

ps; I'll read the statement now :lol:

• Like 3
17 minutes ago, Wilder Bollox said:

Everything he says is true and if anything he's being a shade a conservative . As Erik says, it may be prudent to scrap next season and plan for starting over in July 2021 .

Not necessarily everything, structures are in place in Germany and Spain to lead to a return to elite football so there is no reason why the EPL can't follow a similar approach and restart,as long as it is safe to do so, and they cover the cost of testing, medical supplies ,ppe etc.

However  he is probably right about non league.

5 minutes ago, Norm said:

Not necessarily everything, structures are in place in Germany and Spain to lead to a return to elite football so there is no reason why the EPL can't follow a similar approach and restart,as long as it is safe to do so, and they cover the cost of testing, medical supplies ,ppe etc.

However  he is probably right about non league.

Putting structures in place costs money . Do they know something we don't ? Wouldn't it be better if the German and Spanish governments stepped in and said peoples health is bigger than commercial sporting events . I know the counter argument is that commercial sport is good for the health . Sadly we may need to concede to this new world order for a while

I think the governments are probably treading a fine path and whilst I am no solicitor wouldn't stepping in and closing things down be restraint of trade thereby leaving the governments liable for costs? At the moment they have tried to avoid that by postponing everything.

Additionally they are probably thinking that these industries employ a lot of people and it would be good to get them back earning and paying taxes rather than receiving furlough payments (or the equivalent in Spain and Germany) 

Finally as you note having football back will be good for people's mental health more than anything as it provides a release.

If you want my personal view then providing the conditions for returning are established in advance by the governments varoius medical and scientific advisors and they can be demonstrated as being achieved then there is no reason why football can't return at the elite level, although I would imagine that it's without fans for the foreseeable future.  

• Like 1

Would it be possible to finish this season next year ,say starting in February , football needs supporters and supporters need football, there will be problems with players contracts but it's just a thought, 

Depends what the government say at the weekend, wisely postponing their announcement from Thursday so that if any relaxations are made, the idiots of this country don’t all flock to the parks and seaside on Bank Holiday and undo the progress of the last 8 weeks.

The season can finish quite easily, neutral venues, a few games and it’s done. Then next season can be worried about. Start it in October, November whenever and scrap all cups for one season.

We all know that the money of the Premier League and Champions League will win however wrong that is. I’d be amazed if either of them are scraped next year whether it is safe or not.

As for our club I presume players are on furlough, we have no rent to pay as the stadium is being used by the council. Not sure on Boreham Woods stadium situation but the guy loves the sound of his own voice, has invested heavily and knows he will be well in the doo doo through all this. He was already threatening to take his money out of the club because he couldn’t get crowds above 400!

I have read the article with some interest and it is clearly refreshing to be given a candid and lucid, and at time impassioned, breakdown of the reasons why we should not expect to see any non-league football in 2020.

What was further of interest was the financial background he provided, especially around the way that National League clubs are taken advantage of around loan player deals, when it is clear that any loan deal is a win-win for the EFL clubs. Where would clubs like Salford be if they could not manipulate this arrangement as they appear to do, or what would EFL clubs do to develop their own players if they could not palm them off to NL clubs and make a profit from it.

It will be interesting to see if any of the other issues he lists around agents and in particular the blunt honest truth of the financial largesse the PL and EFL bestow on non-league football, but if all of the Halifax supporters who had Sky Sports contracts refused to renew them then there may be an outcry and a rebalance of the money. We all have a choice and we can all walk away in protest should we wish to. Maybe a National League protest movement could be organised that would give the system a jolt. In fact I should get onto Virgin as I pay an excessive amount for a Sports subscription, when there is nothing but repeats to watch.:huh:  

• Like 2

I think its a really good piece. Not only reflecting on the situation with football but the world in general. To me in its most basic form its saying, World Get Real. There are far greater issues than a game of football and he quite rightly says that the health and well being of everyone associated with him, not just his players and club staff, but his wider community are far more important at this time. And that's the important message to everyone. I think we've said on these threads that there seems to be a forgone conclusion that if the Premiership powers that be say they are going to play out the season on foreign shores, that all the players and officials etc will just roll over and doff their caps, well the reality check is that the players may well be ultra rich but at the end of the day they are humans and they have families to think of, there are no guarantees that they will agree to play. Perhaps more honesty from other quarters might not be a bad thing. Are human lives more important than sport or business? Think carefully before you answer.

30 minutes ago, Ash said:

Depends what the government say at the weekend, wisely postponing their announcement from Thursday so that if any relaxations are made, the idiots of this country don’t all flock to the parks and seaside on Bank Holiday and undo the progress of the last 8 weeks.

The season can finish quite easily, neutral venues, a few games and it’s done. Then next season can be worried about. Start it in October, November whenever and scrap all cups for one season.

We all know that the money of the Premier League and Champions League will win however wrong that is. I’d be amazed if either of them are scraped next year whether it is safe or not.

As for our club I presume players are on furlough, we have no rent to pay as the stadium is being used by the council. Not sure on Boreham Woods stadium situation but the guy loves the sound of his own voice, has invested heavily and knows he will be well in the doo doo through all this. He was already threatening to take his money out of the club because he couldn’t get crowds above 400!

I disagree. I don't think it is wise at all to postpone the announcement. Mr Johnson said that an announcement would be made early this week. Our country, its people and its businesses need leadership. He isn't a leader. He is a ditherer. And all he does is create greater uncertainty. He has postponed this announcement but remarkably not Brexit. And I voted the dipstick in! 

In this world money is the be all and end all. Football in particular is grossly funded and driven by obscene amounts of money. If fans, investors and the media withdrew their financial contributions from the game it would soon die. Consequently the clammer to avoid this scenario means that in particular English football will do anything to cling to the faint unrealistic possibility that football can be played again soon. They talk about testing everyone connected with clubs at a time when we cannot,for whatever reason, test important frontline key workers. They talk about neutral grounds, they talk about no relegations to appease the clubs in those places all to try and keep their cash cows sweet. What overall difference playing at neutral grounds will achieve bar saving on a few thousand tests compared with the integrity of this seasons competitions?

1 hour ago, Shay said:

I don't think it is wise at all to postpone the announcement. 

Whether wise or not, it's almost expected to give them chance to reflect. As per previous..

Initial lockdown announced Monday 23rd March for 3 weeks. Taking us to Monday 13th April. Review announcement made on Thursday 16th April.
Continuation of lockdown announced Thursday 16th April for 3 weeks. Taking us to Thursday 7th May. Review announcement to be made Sunday 10th May.

Has anyone any comments on the season ticket offer mentioned in the BHW Chairman's speech, of £99?

How would it be possible to run a NL club on average gates of 724 if you were only getting in a reduced income stream compared to even that of our club? 

Edited by ITMAN
On 5/5/2020 at 7:43 AM, Norm said:

I don’t know about that. I think the same foregrounding of finance over health and well-being exists in those leagues, too. https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/may/05/eibar-players-say-they-fear-terrible-consequences-of-la-liga-resumption?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

48 minutes ago, ITMAN said:

Has anyone any comments on the season ticket offer mentioned in the BHW Chairman's speech, of £99?

How would it be possible to run a NL club on average gates of 724 if you were only getting in a reduced income stream compared to even that of our club? 

Think he has a habit of putting in the odd £1m..............

I think the original statement hits the nail on the head.

We can’t contemplate resuming the season at NL level until fans are allowed to attend. To do otherwise would be commercial suicide.  The PL shouldn’t be restarted for the very many reasons that were articulated in the statement.  It’s all about money.

I’m sure that the Dutch weighed everything up before deciding to abandon their remaining fixtures. There are recent reports of players in Germany testing positive & the German Govt is thinking of giving the green light to their season resuming later this week. It’s madness. It will be farcical if they recommence and then have to abandon their season before it gets completed. Who will have benefitted from that? 

There is one solution however that no-one has yet mentioned. We go and play in New Zealand. 

What time does the coach leave the Shay? 

1 hour ago, bill_atkins_is_king said:

We can’t contemplate resuming the season at NL level until fans are allowed to attend. To do otherwise would be commercial suicide.  The PL shouldn’t be restarted for the very many reasons that were articulated in the statement.  It’s all about money.

I’m sure that the Dutch weighed everything up before deciding to abandon their remaining fixtures. There are recent reports of players in Germany testing positive & the German Govt is thinking of giving the green light to their season resuming later this week. It’s madness. It will be farcical if they recommence and then have to abandon their season before it gets completed. Who will have benefitted from that? 

There is one solution however that no-one has yet mentioned. We go and play in New Zealand. 

What about the 2 week quarantine period, it would be a long road trip.:)

1 hour ago, bill_atkins_is_king said:

The reason Prem want to finish season is if they don't they have to replay Sky and most clubs make a profit without crowds.

NZ borders are closed I believe.