Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Sadly Ron passed away on Friday aged 93. Now residing in Cyprus he was a well known and much respected local figure as well as being a local councillor Ron was a staunch Town fan with his first game being back in 1951. A real gentleman, well spoken and always smartly turned out. RIP.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im not sure if I ever met him but I recall he was a persistent letter writer to the Courier for years when it was a daily paper. Sometimes he’d get multiple letters in the same paper!

Edited by Flea
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Flea said:

Im not sure if I ever met him but I recall he was a persistent letter writer to the Courier for years when it was a daily paper. Sometimes he’s get multiple letters in the same paper!

That's who I'm thinking of too. Ron Thrower - Claremont.  

Anyway, sad to lose another Shayman.  RIP 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Icke's Lizard said:

That's who I'm thinking of too. Ron Thrower - Claremont.  

Anyway, sad to lose another Shayman.  RIP 

Him and Mary McClerg (or something like that). Those two probably kept that letters page full of content for years! 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was another guy as well who was a regular, forgotten his name, must be my old age.  The letters page is just one thing I miss about the days when we had a "proper" local newspaper

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, bazza45 said:

There was another guy as well who was a regular, forgotten his name, must be my old age.  The letters page is just one thing I miss about the days when we had a "proper" local newspaper

Was he something like Tim Micklefield ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, bazza45 said:

There was another guy as well who was a regular, forgotten his name, must be my old age.  The letters page is just one thing I miss about the days when we had a "proper" local newspaper

Robin Stevens, Used to work at the vicarage on Lee mount when we were kids and was a strange fella. 

 

1 hour ago, Flea said:

Him and Mary McClerg (or something like that). Those two probably kept that letters page full of content for years! 

Heather Terry too from Mixy. (Ronan's Gran) The courier wasn't enough for her and I'd hear her on the George Galloway phone-in on talksport! 

Edited by Icke's Lizard
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, bazza45 said:

There was another guy as well who was a regular, forgotten his name, must be my old age.  The letters page is just one thing I miss about the days when we had a "proper" local newspaper

Are you thinking of Henry Culpan. I think he had a letter in most nights.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, chadders said:

Sadly Ron passed away on Friday aged 93. Now residing in Cyprus he was a well known and much respected local figure as well as being a local councillor Ron was a staunch Town fan with his first game being back in 1951. A real gentleman, well spoken and always smartly turned out. RIP.

Remember him well from my early days supporting town as a teenager.  Would go into the Weavers and have some good chats with Ron.  

Really decent bloke in my experience. RIP.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Flea said:

Him and Mary McClerg (or something like that). Those two probably kept that letters page full of content for years! 

And Tim Mickleborough whose name used to appear in several tabloidsas well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mary Mclerg, lived in a bungalow, just off Ovenden Way, she was very outspoken, but very friendly when I worked in her property

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/3/2020 at 5:11 PM, Blueblood said:

Are you thinking of Henry Culpan. I think he had a letter in most nights.

That's him, Blueblood.  Thank You.  I once met him in the Brass Cat, must be 20 or so years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bazza45 said:

That's him, Blueblood.  Thank You.  I once met him in the Brass Cat, must be 20 or so years ago.

 I never met but I always read his letters in the courier,   For that reason his name seems to have stuck in my head, don’t know why because not much else does ha.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/3/2020 at 5:08 PM, Luckybounce1 said:

Tim Mickleburgh!!!!!! Boy did he write some pointless drivel, but I always looked out for it!

Someone got that fed up of him that he started sending loads of letters signed by Mim Tickleborough and Courier used to print them all- not sure if they knew it was a pisstake.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...