Jump to content
Fair warning! All off-topic posts will be moved to off-topic section once we have confirmed dates for play-offs. ×
Sign in to follow this  
Derbyshayman

HTFC and FM2020 - HELP !!!

Recommended Posts

In my enforced lockdown just bought FM2020 0n steam (33% off) and thought I'd take an uncomplicated approach but no matter what, find myself in bottom 4 after 10 games and facing the sack!

Playing 4 4 2, counter attack and pass into spaces. Team is Johnson, JBW Clarke Brown Hanson; Williams C King Cooper Josh Mac; Allen and Rodney

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong ?  All advice gratefully received

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Derbyshayman said:

In my enforced lockdown just bought FM2020 0n steam (33% off) and thought I'd take an uncomplicated approach but no matter what, find myself in bottom 4 after 10 games and facing the sack!

Playing 4 4 2, counter attack and pass into spaces. Team is Johnson, JBW Clarke Brown Hanson; Williams C King Cooper Josh Mac; Allen and Rodney

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong ?  All advice gratefully received

 

Try a preset 4-2-3-1 with control possession. Earing is a player who was integral for me. Also get your self a senior affiliate and also just keep searching premier league and championship u23 squads for season long loans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sparrow said:

Football director commodore 64 I still play it now:)

I made my own very basic football manager simulator on the Spectrum. Made an even better one for the PC when at college. Neither very good in all honestly but I loved coding back then. Good times. I was so tempted to buy the re-released Spectrum that came out last year but not sure I'd get time to use it. My best mate had the Commodore so we had best of both worlds.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

I made my own very basic football manager simulator on the Spectrum. Made an even better one for the PC when at college. Neither very good in all honestly but I loved coding back then. Good times. I was so tempted to buy the re-released Spectrum that came out last year but not sure I'd get time to use it. My best mate had the Commodore so we had best of both worlds.

Cool..we were same growing up lads had spectrums,msx and commodore.. 4 of us ended up all playing same game against each other so 4 x tv's and 4 x commodore 64's all playing football director for wham bars for days on end it was awesome...I bought the old type commodore 64 about 4 years ago and got all the games from my childhood far better than your xbox ones..lol

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Sparrow said:

Cool..we were same growing up lads had spectrums,msx and commodore.. 4 of us ended up all playing same game against each other so 4 x tv's and 4 x commodore 64's all playing football director for wham bars for days on end it was awesome...I bought the old type commodore 64 about 4 years ago and got all the games from my childhood far better than your xbox ones..lol

Back when games had to be good to sell, the review magazines were absolutely merciless if a publisher tried charging top whack for a shite game. The Spectrum had some awesome games, Gauntlet was probably my favourite but having to continually load levels from the tape deck was a pita. I personally switched to the dark side (Commodore!) when my brother spent his first pay check on an Amiga 500. Talk about eye-opening. Sold my Amiga 1200 to some guy in the US just before moving to Belgium 10 or so years ago, got more for it than it cost me new. I feel old saying this but it's true, they don't make them like they used to.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a few to try but, first things first, have you got rid of Niall Maher? He causes problems if you dont because he doesn't play well and complains about not getting picked.

2nd, ditch the 442. Need to play 4231 or 532. Either way you need Nolan in as a central midfielder or box to box and Earing as deep lying playmaker or mezzala.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm having problems having just secured my 2and consecutive promotion. The club still doesn't have a brilliant reputation so signing players for league 1 is proving difficult.

Current formation is as follows-

Sweeper keeper, preferably on loan.

Duckworth and JBW wing backs with support function.

2 centre backs set as ball playing defender with defend function.

Earing deep lying playmaker on the left of 2 centre midfielders. Nolan on the right as box to box midfielder

Williams and Allen as wingers with support function.

Cam King as shadow striker playing off the left.

Rodney up front as advanced forward.

Suggest a couple of loans if you can get them.

Tyler Magloire at centre back, Toby Esder in midfield and Liam Cullen up front.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For my tactic to work you need a high line of engagement, full backs set to overlap and tackling set to "get stuck in".

If I remember I'll screen shot my tactics later but if you do it you should get into the top half at least by the end of the season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still on FM18, but had decent success getting us to PL winners, multiple FA Cups, Champions Leagues, Club World Cup... Won just about everything going. My favourite formation is a 4-3-1-2, having a target man with a poacher/attacking forward lower down the leagues (once you get higher up and more established you can ditch the taget man). For a more defensive approach I quite like using a 5-2-1-2, with 3 CBs and the wing backs pushing higher up the field. Using the loan market is vital all the way up to the top, and getting youth players whose contracts expire from PL/Championship clubs. There were a couple of gems I picked up in my first season, a striker from Leeds called Stokes, and another from Everton called Shayne Lavery - signed both on season long loans as teenagers in the conference, fired me to promotion and signed them permanently in the summer for a total of about £100k. Both stayed with me right up to the PL and had good international careers, Stokes stayed with Town his whole career and retired in his early 30s, Lavery I sold after a few seasons in the PL for almost £20m. Not sure of their status on FM20, but worth looking for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the FM stories. Ive lost far too many hours to this game going all the way back to its Champ Man routes. Im guilty that I have spent the last 2 weeks playing it almost non stop and after making Leeds the most dominant force in the game I took over Halifax after their promotion back to the Conference. It took me 2 years to get out of that then had back to back promotions to the Championship. At this point Im still pretty much signing free agents as nobody wants to join but selling on for big profit prepared me for 3 years later when Town made it to the premier league and I could finally start spending some money. I avoided relegation by a couple of points the first season then had a couple of mid table finishes but won the FA cup in the 3rd year. Following that won the Europa Cup and a Champions league semi final loss to Chelsea the year after. Im in and around the top 6 or 7 but at the moment Chelsea and Spurs are dominating although Norwich have done quite well year on year. Arsenal have become a mid table club but other than that the make up of the Premier League is very similar.

The Shay has been abadoned now for about 3 years with just a local amateur rugby team playing the occasional game there but Halifax Stadium has a capacity of 39000 although this is only our second season in it after building and expeansion works have meant playing most of our games at Huddersfield or later on Sheffield Wednesday. My biggest transfer fee paid is a deal worth about 150m in total for a fringe player from Spurs called Fitzimmons who is now the worlds best player and spends his time telling me how he wants to leave for basically any team that comes in for him despite signing a 5 year deal only months ago.

Anyway I must remember I dislike football and am not a Town fan. :D

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/3/2020 at 12:02 PM, Greg Florimos Boots said:

I love the FM stories. Ive lost far too many hours to this game going all the way back to its Champ Man routes. Im guilty that I have spent the last 2 weeks playing it almost non stop and after making Leeds the most dominant force in the game I took over Halifax after their promotion back to the Conference. It took me 2 years to get out of that then had back to back promotions to the Championship. At this point Im still pretty much signing free agents as nobody wants to join but selling on for big profit prepared me for 3 years later when Town made it to the premier league and I could finally start spending some money. I avoided relegation by a couple of points the first season then had a couple of mid table finishes but won the FA cup in the 3rd year. Following that won the Europa Cup and a Champions league semi final loss to Chelsea the year after. Im in and around the top 6 or 7 but at the moment Chelsea and Spurs are dominating although Norwich have done quite well year on year. Arsenal have become a mid table club but other than that the make up of the Premier League is very similar.

The Shay has been abadoned now for about 3 years with just a local amateur rugby team playing the occasional game there but Halifax Stadium has a capacity of 39000 although this is only our second season in it after building and expeansion works have meant playing most of our games at Huddersfield or later on Sheffield Wednesday. My biggest transfer fee paid is a deal worth about 150m in total for a fringe player from Spurs called Fitzimmons who is now the worlds best player and spends his time telling me how he wants to leave for basically any team that comes in for him despite signing a 5 year deal only months ago.

Anyway I must remember I dislike football and am not a Town fan. :D

This post proves that any fool can succeed at Football Manager.

Sorry Mr Boots couldn’t resist, it was your last line that provoked me and proves we both need something to do.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/2/2020 at 9:05 AM, Hoddie said:

Those games became far too complicated! Becomes a part time job rather than a bit of fun. Give me Championship Manager from 15 years ago any day.

Absolutely. And the problem with it is that unless you take care of just about everything it's almost impossible to succeed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...